Sense VR Training

Did a search for this topic and only found two old threads.  I found that odd.  Is there some kind of restriction/licensing or competition with TGN so that it's not discussed or allowed here?  I dont post much so I'm generally out of the loop with that kind of stuff.  

Unless its posted under something else, I'm shocked it's not a big discussion point here for goalies.  I came here to read some good discussion on it in it's current state to get some opinions.  I'm going to be limited for a while to actually go to the rink.  I thought exercises and maybe Sense Arena could hold me over and keep me in shape/alert to the game so I dont get too far out of sorts.  

Is this a dead/old tech that fizzled already?  

57 minutes ago, Cool Runnings said:

Did a search for this topic and only found two old threads.  I found that odd.  Is there some kind of restriction/licensing or competition with TGN so that it's not discussed or allowed here?  I dont post much so I'm generally out of the loop with that kind of stuff.  

Unless its posted under something else, I'm shocked it's not a big discussion point here for goalies.  I came here to read some good discussion on it in it's current state to get some opinions.  I'm going to be limited for a while to actually go to the rink.  I thought exercises and maybe Sense Arena could hold me over and keep me in shape/alert to the game so I dont get too far out of sorts.  

Is this a dead/old tech that fizzled already?  

The lacking of discussion on this page about it probably has more to do with the average age of posters here than anything. There's not a lot of us who aren't just slumming it up in beer leagues/pick ups. 

I think it's a neat looking tool, but there's a few things stopping me from getting it:

1. I don't have a VR headset. 
2. It's $29 or $59 USD a month or $40 or $80 CAD a month. That's far too pricey for a subscription. 
3. Limited time. With wife, kids, friends, and other hobbies, the free time I'd have for this would be minimal. 
4. A general feeling of: "I'd prefer just to go play hockey". 

I think it can be a very handful practice tool for kids or pros who want to keep improving and evolving their skills. But for a 35 year old beer leaguer? Just doesn't interest me enough. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The lacking of discussion on this page about it probably has more to do with the average age of posters here than anything. There's not a lot of us who aren't just slumming it up in beer leagues/pick ups. 

I think it's a neat looking tool, but there's a few things stopping me from getting it:

2. It's $29 or $59 USD a month or $40 or $80 CAD a month. That's far too pricey for a subscription. 
3. Limited time. With wife, kids, friends, and other hobbies, the free time I'd have for this would be minimal. 

I think it can be a very handful practice tool for kids or pros who want to keep improving and evolving their skills. But for a 35 year old beer leaguer? Just doesn't interest me enough. 

I have a vr headset but I agree, playing hockey is better. Basic tracking can be taught with a lacrosse ball and sense arena does not provide near enough of a workout or performance benefit to be worth the money. I had it for 2 months, using it upwards of 5 times a week, and switched back to a good ol lacrosse ball simply because I need something tactile. Sense arena will help you get your hands to a puck but it will not help you hold onto it

2 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I have a vr headset but I agree, playing hockey is better. Basic tracking can be taught with a lacrosse ball and sense arena does not provide near enough of a workout or performance benefit to be worth the money. I had it for 2 months, using it upwards of 5 times a week, and switched back to a good ol lacrosse ball simply because I need something tactile. Sense arena will help you get your hands to a puck but it will not help you hold onto it

I'm sure it can be very handy for a guy in @Cool Runnings- position where you're unable to hit the ice for an extended period of time. 

But that's a pretty niche use. 

41 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The lacking of discussio this page about it probably has more to do with the average age of posters here than anything. There's not a lot of us who aren't just slumming it up in beer leagues/pick ups. 

Oh okay, still I'm surprised with all the advertisements on Instagram and everything. And I agree, I don't have time for any of that sh1t I would just go play. However right now I can't play and that's the reasoning behind it. Then I also thought eventually I want to do a racing Sim setup so something like the VR headset could be saved for future use or I could just sell it on eBay and just eat a hundred bucks or so for buying it new and selling it used. In my case I need something to keep my mind in the game while I'm away from skating. 

Thanks all for the input! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cool Runnings said:

Oh okay, still I'm surprised with all the advertisements on Instagram and everything. And I agree, I don't have time for any of that sh1t I would just go play. However right now I can't play and that's the reasoning behind it. Then I also thought eventually I want to do a racing Sim setup so something like the VR headset could be saved for future use or I could just sell it on eBay and just eat a hundred bucks or so for buying it new and selling it used. In my case I need something to keep my mind in the game while I'm away from skating. 

Thanks all for the input! 

If you need something free although much less in depth there's goalienator

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/3818317338228369/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

Thinking about this for myself. I do get on the ice four times a week, but at this early stage of the game, I need all the help I can get. My uncle and I are setting up ice tiles in my back yard inside a tent and rigging up a Skilz ball shooter on a wobbly base so I can train my eyes. I know there is no substitute for on ice action, but I really need to work on all aspects of the game. 

Interesting... So there's another headset and game component to purchase?

Also I saw the idea of putting your stuff on except your helmet and doing it at public skating or sticking puck in the corner. Also I might be freezing a 20x20-ft pad in the backyard this winter so that would be perfect as well. Again this is just because of limits that actually going to play right now

6 minutes ago, Cool Runnings said:

Interesting... So there's another headset and game component to purchase?

As I understand it, the subscription is just the app/access to the app, drills etc. You'll have to purchase the VR headset separately.

It looks like the subscription includes 4 user accounts, so maybe you could split the cost of the subscription with 3 other goalies? They would need their own headsets and goalie sleeve mounts though.

Edited by ZeroGravitas

I have had it since December 2020 and despite not using it a ton, I have renewed because I enjoy it when I do use it. FWIW, it’s actually a fun little workout, at least for me. The little quick movement and the reps add up and I always break a sweat. Haven’t updated the software to the new NHL collab but I’m excited to give it a whirl. 

• 2 weeks later...