Is a cowling necessary for an inline goalie skate?

I was just wondering aloud. I am going to make my spare Vaughn boot into a nice pair of goalie roller skates. Finding the cowling has been tough. I know that many cut the blades from an older Tuuk cowling, but those are not quite as easy to find (and the price reflects that). I know I could make it from fibreglass, but that is over kill. I am going to also make a set of Overdrive-style blades from a rubber-like material for the cowling so I can move around the crease. Anyone done that?

Anywho- any input would be welcome! 

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're playing with good shooters, I would recommend every bit of available ice hockey protection you currently use.  I had two different inline goal skates so far.  The cowling was useful.  What do you mean by overdrive blades for sliding?

5 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

If you're playing with good shooters, I would recommend every bit of available ice hockey protection you currently use.  I had two different inline goal skates so far.  The cowling was useful.  What do you mean by overdrive blades for sliding?

Gotcha. 

I will have to draw out what I mean about Overdrive style blade made of plastic. This is why I am asking; there may be better solutions...

Yes, i need a visual here please.  I thought the cowlingless skates would be sweet for inline, but if they lack protection, I'd rather have the cowling.  Near Chicago where I played, there was always a huge mix of inline skaters that were also ice players and a few had shots that were a bruise everytime.  A shot from one of those guys off the cowling somewhere and I was always thankful it was there.

1 minute ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Yes, i need a visual here please.  I thought the cowlingless skates would be sweet for inline, but if they lack protection, I'd rather have the cowling.  Near Chicago where I played, there was always a huge mix of inline skaters that were also ice players and a few had shots that were a bruise everytime.  A shot from one of those guys off the cowling somewhere and I was always thankful it was there.

I am getting the picture. Of course I may end up fabbing my own fibreglass cowl if I can’t get what I need. 

I will have to get pen and paper for my idea...

If its any goalie skate that already comes cowling less you can use either a Hi-Lo or a straight frame.

In my own experience of using the 1s 1x and True/VH you need to make sure you have the correct size chassis so it doesn't add on any strain to the toe box/quarter package/under sole meeting area. The Labeda Patriot frame depending on the size is an issue at times with adding stress to that area of the boot that I mentioned before. The mounting plates and the curvature/lack there of the bottom sole creates issues at times.

Any of the skates that come with a cowling, the bottom of the boot isn't made to support either A the weight of the chassis or doesn't come with solid plastic/carbon etc bottom sole, 10/10 times its too soft to support the wear and tear and the weight of the roller chassis.

1 hour ago, CalValce said:

If its any goalie skate that already comes cowling less you can use either a Hi-Lo or a straight frame.

In my own experience of using the 1s 1x and True/VH you need to make sure you have the correct size chassis so it doesn't add on any strain to the toe box/quarter package/under sole meeting area. The Labeda Patriot frame depending on the size is an issue at times with adding stress to that area of the boot that I mentioned before. The mounting plates and the curvature/lack there of the bottom sole creates issues at times.

Any of the skates that come with a cowling, the bottom of the boot isn't made to support either A the weight of the chassis or doesn't come with solid plastic/carbon etc bottom sole, 10/10 times its too soft to support the wear and tear and the weight of the roller chassis.

The Vaughn boot does have a carbon outsole, so support isn’t the issue; however- I can understand the other concerns. 

These answers are what I am looking for and I have to hunt down a cowling to shave off the blade holder from.  

I played for years in non-goalie skates. I played high level too adult hockey including tournaments all over the country.

Player skates - for me then (and likely still now) - have more support and offered taller blades which help. 

Only drawback for me was that the player frames would dent. I'd have a frame dent in the middle of the game and that wheel would lock up. So I'd have to have teamates remove wheels at stoppages here and there. I think one pair of skates I went through 4 sets of frames.

Look at all the new ice goalie skates. They're pretty much player skates anymore. I'd wear 4 80mm wheels now myself.

I do wear an old pair of Bauer Reactor 1000 inline skates currently. They're old as hell. I just haven't had time to buy new skates plus I'm gun shy with all the Chinese made skates.

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

I played for years in non-goalie skates. I played high level too adult hockey including tournaments all over the country.

Player skates - for me then (and likely still now) - have more support and offered taller blades which help. 

Only drawback for me was that the player frames would dent. I'd have a frame dent in the middle of the game and that wheel would lock up. So I'd have to have teamates remove wheels at stoppages here and there.

Look at all the new ice goalie skates. They're pretty much player skates anymore. 

I do wear an old pair of Bauer Reactor 1000 inline skates now. They're old as hell. I just haven't had time to buy new skates plus I'm gun shy with all the Chinese made skates now.

Something I never thought of- denting of the frames! The donor skate is a player skate.

That makes a difference...

Yeah it's a real pain. The Bauer goalie frames are twice as thick on the sides and for the cross members. They're just 'goalie' frames and I can't get a wheel in them larger than a 64mm. 

Answers your question too of how hard dudes shoot.

One upside to goalie skates - you look like you are better. Player skates make you look like some bender in net. meanwhile I think it would be more advantageous.

5 minutes ago, MTH said:

Yeah it's a real pain. The Bauer goalie frames are twice as thick on the sides and for the cross members. They're just 'goalie' frames and I can't get a wheel in them larger than a 64mm. 

Answers your question too of how hard dudes shoot.

One upside to goalie skates - you look like you are better. Player skates make you look like some bender in net. meanwhile I think it would be more advantageous.

You actually have made me rethink the project, mainly because I don’t want problems from the chassis being bent up. Now- if I find a donor goalie skate and the boot is wrecked or otherwise undesirable, then I can use the Vaughn boots. 

I really appreciate everyone’s answers to help make this clear for me.

23 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You actually have made me rethink the project, mainly because I don’t want problems from the chassis being bent up. Now- if I find a donor goalie skate and the boot is wrecked or otherwise undesirable, then I can use the Vaughn boots. 

I really appreciate everyone’s answers to help make this clear for me.

I would be hesitant to use the Vaughn boot, its designed for a cowling, I used these boots as well, however I did cowling and frame with it. My hesitance would be the bottom sole of the boot being too flat to be used with either a hi-lo or straight frame.

There is a hole in the industry in regards to inline goalie skates. Tour is the only company I know of that makes goalie skates currently. My 2 cents....there hasn't been a Bauer skate produced with a cowling since the one95 which is several years (8+) old, I wouldn't think Bauer would keep the tooling/parts around to just produce cowlings without the steel. I do wonder if for Missions next gen line of player skates if they will offer a Bauer inspired boot with a goalie frame on it.

If you want to go with a boot/cowling/frame set up, I would search eBay for the older gen cowlings in your skate size and with a dremel, dremel off the steel and smooth out the attachment points where the cowling and steel meet.

26 minutes ago, CalValce said:

I would be hesitant to use the Vaughn boot, its designed for a cowling, I used these boots as well, however I did cowling and frame with it. My hesitance would be the bottom sole of the boot being too flat to be used with either a hi-lo or straight frame.

There is a hole in the industry in regards to inline goalie skates. Tour is the only company I know of that makes goalie skates currently. My 2 cents....there hasn't been a Bauer skate produced with a cowling since the one95 which is several years (8+) old, I wouldn't think Bauer would keep the tooling/parts around to just produce cowlings without the steel. I do wonder if for Missions next gen line of player skates if they will offer a Bauer inspired boot with a goalie frame on it.

If you want to go with a boot/cowling/frame set up, I would search eBay for the older gen cowlings in your skate size and with a dremel, dremel off the steel and smooth out the attachment points where the cowling and steel meet.

I am seeing that, as well. I have noticed a lack of goalie skates for inline. Kinda bizarre if you ask me.

I will patiently look for the proper stuff that is NOS to make these into roller boots. I want new stuff for the new boots. 

I appreciate all of the help and pointers.

When I first started playing inline goalie back about 15 years ago I started with a pair of my old flat frame Bauer player skates with the tendon guard chopped off.  Worked well enough until the boot itself just started to wear our from too many years to barefoot use.  I only remember getting hit in the foot once to the degree it actually hurt, for what it's worth.  Most impacts came off the toe and that was strong enough to take anything hard.

What size of skate are you working with?  This weekend I'm going to see if Just Hockey up here in Toronto will do a second transplant of my old Bauer 7000 boot from the Vertexx cowling I have it in now to the cowling of a pair of Mission G5s I mistakenly bought in a EE width.  If it works, the current 8.5 Bauer Supreme 1000s I have with the chassis off my old Tour skates should shortly be surplus and I'm under pressure from the missus to clear out all the old equipment in the garage I no longer use.

11 minutes ago, dreadlockgoalie said:

When I first started playing inline goalie back about 15 years ago I started with a pair of my old flat frame Bauer player skates with the tendon guard chopped off.  Worked well enough until the boot itself just started to wear our from too many years to barefoot use.  I only remember getting hit in the foot once to the degree it actually hurt, for what it's worth.  Most impacts came off the toe and that was strong enough to take anything hard.

What size of skate are you working with?  This weekend I'm going to see if Just Hockey up here in Toronto will do a second transplant of my old Bauer 7000 boot from the Vertexx cowling I have it in now to the cowling of a pair of Mission G5s I mistakenly bought in a EE width.  If it works, the current 8.5 Bauer Supreme 1000s I have with the chassis off my old Tour skates should shortly be surplus and I'm under pressure from the missus to clear out all the old equipment in the garage I no longer use.

Size 7.5; however- the cowling size is 8 on the Vaughn.

2 hours ago, dreadlockgoalie said:

And one more thing: thanks for the offer.

I played some competitive roller growing up (NARCh etc.), and would get bruised through my old Brown 553.

If the boot was designed to go no-cowling then that would be sufficient; if it's made for ice with cowling then I could keep it that way.

Tour might be the only company that is doing goalie specific skate for roller hockey.

I talked for a bit with the local Bauer/Mission rep a few weeks ago and he alluded to a Bauer product coming out specifically for roller goalies that is currently in development, but couldn't share any more.  I asked him if it would be a 1X boot with the Mission Frontloader chassis, but he just smiled changed the subject...

48 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I played some competitive roller growing up (NARCh etc.), and would get bruised through my old Brown 553.

If the boot was designed to go no-cowling then that would be sufficient; if it's made for ice with cowling then I could keep it that way.

Tour might be the only company that is doing goalie specific skate for roller hockey.

I talked for a bit with the local Bauer/Mission rep a few weeks ago and he alluded to a Bauer product coming out specifically for roller goalies that is currently in development, but couldn't share any more.  I asked him if it would be a 1X boot with the Mission Frontloader chassis, but he just smiled changed the subject...

I am figuring out that my Frankenstein project with the parts I have is going to be woefully insufficient. I may as well do it right or not bother.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am figuring out that my Frankenstein project with the parts I have is going to be woefully insufficient. I may as well do it right or not bother. 

What do you have and what do you need?

There are some options on Ebay now for the RBK/CCM customlite model which should suit a roller purpose just fine.  Getting it without the steel would save a bit of cash.

A larger cowling is fine; it might actually be ideal as a lot of guys end up drilling holes and running a lace loop through there anyway to run their toe ties through.
It's not like an ice boot where the length of the steel would affect your skating.

As long as your boot and chassis fit (ie the chassis wheelbase isn't too long for the boot) you could do something pretty sweet.
As far as roller Overdrives go, maybe you could fashion a thin sheet of rubber that is mounted under the cowling.
It would have to be tucked in a bit, as I think some roller goalies use their plastic cowling to slide a bit when they need to stretch a leg out.

On ice, with Overdrives installed, you could lift your knee an inch off the ice, engage from the big toe, and get a good push across the crease. 
As much as Jon tried to push these as an "injury prevention" device after they got banned, they're a performance enhancer first and foremost.

IMO roller was an environment where once you are down, you'd better find a way to stop it.

I found on roller, the "proper recovery leg" was different.  If I blockered a shot to my right into the corner, I would pick up my right knee first to lead into a T push to the right.
 (maybe being able to recover onto the roller OD blade here would help as a goalie could push off that instead of fully recovering to their wheelbase)
On ice, I can pivot in the butterfly, dig in with my left leg and either RVH into the post or T push into a recovery on the new angle.

24 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

What do you have and what do you need?

There are some options on Ebay now for the RBK/CCM customlite model which should suit a roller purpose just fine.  Getting it without the steel would save a bit of cash.

A larger cowling is fine; it might actually be ideal as a lot of guys end up drilling holes and running a lace loop through there anyway to run their toe ties through.
It's not like an ice boot where the length of the steel would affect your skating.

As long as your boot and chassis fit (ie the chassis wheelbase isn't too long for the boot) you could do something pretty sweet.
As far as roller Overdrives go, maybe you could fashion a thin sheet of rubber that is mounted under the cowling.
It would have to be tucked in a bit, as I think some roller goalies use their plastic cowling to slide a bit when they need to stretch a leg out.

On ice, with Overdrives installed, you could lift your knee an inch off the ice, engage from the big toe, and get a good push across the crease. 
As much as Jon tried to push these as an "injury prevention" device after they got banned, they're a performance enhancer first and foremost.

IMO roller was an environment where once you are down, you'd better find a way to stop it.

I found on roller, the "proper recovery leg" was different.  If I blockered a shot to my right into the corner, I would pick up my right knee first to lead into a T push to the right.
 (maybe being able to recover onto the roller OD blade here would help as a goalie could push off that instead of fully recovering to their wheelbase)
On ice, I can pivot in the butterfly, dig in with my left leg and either RVH into the post or T push into a recovery on the new angle.

I have a new boot and a player chassis.

Okay- going up a size would make sense! I think I know where I can get some pretty cheaply.

What you describe as roller OD is exactly what I was thinking. 

Maybe I should clad the player chassis to prevent bending of the chassis from shots. It’s not like I am tying toe ties theough that if it’s going through the cowl. 

Good food for thought. Thank you.

52 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have a new boot and a player chassis.

Okay- going up a size would make sense! I think I know where I can get some pretty cheaply.

What you describe as roller OD is exactly what I was thinking. 

Maybe I should clad the player chassis to prevent bending of the chassis from shots. It’s not like I am tying toe ties theough that if it’s going through the cowl. 

Good food for thought. Thank you. 

I've seen guys cut the tendon guard off as well.  One of my buddies did this to a pair of Vapor XXXXs when they first came out.
Should be pretty easy to patch over the cut with some jenpro or padskinz to make it look nice.

I wouldn't worry about messing with the chassis.  They're gonna get dented no matter what.

Edit: Actually, you could engineer some plastic slide plates for the chassis.  I can see that getting some attention.  You'll need to source slightly longer axles(?) or the part that the wheel spins around on, and have them screw around a plastic beveled frame that slides in on the inside edge.

Archived