Boston Blocker Help?

stackem30

Hey guys, I've never really used this forum for community outreach, but here goes...

The palm on my Brian Heaton Goalie blocker needs to be replaced, badly. I'll most likely send it away to Sarah at PAW, or there are a few hockey shops I might be willing to trust with the operation. Either way, I'm going to be blockerless for a few weeks, and my team just started our spring/summer league! I really wish I'd thought to send it away for repairs during, I dunno, the past 2 months between seasons when I didn't skate once? But my wife and I were moving, and I completely forgot about gear for a bit (can you imagine?)

Anyway, I'll get to the point. Does anyone around the Boston area have an old blocker they'd be willing to lend/give me for a few weeks? My only stipulations would be that it be fairly protective (and by that I basically mean 'not a Mylec street hockey blocker') and fairly clean (and by that I mean 'it won't give my hand a disgusting rash').

I'd be extremely grateful for any help here, and would be happy to buy some beer (or something, I don't know) for anyone willing to help a goalie out. And I will, of course, take good care of the blocker.

Really hoping someone can help out. Thanks for your consideration!

Hey Mike, sorry for just getting back to you -- I'd forgotten to check in on this thread. I'm still deciding what my course of action will be with my blocker, but I'll let you know if I am still in need of a hiatus replacement! I really appreciate you reaching out, thanks man.

Not to scale back the conversation, but I'm curious how many of you have replaced the palm in your blocker. I'm considering sending mine to Sarah at Paw, and I think the new palm, replacement, and shipping will run me over $100. I'd also consider asking her to beef up the finger protection, which would cost some extra. I really like my 'ole BHG blocker, especially since Brian Heaton has passed away and his gear has become somewhat rare. Having said that, I've had it for close to 10 years now, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just suck it up and pony up for a new blocker (I'd be interested in a custom Kenesky blocker to match my leg pads).

In summation, I see the cost of repairing my blocker approaching about half the price of a new blocker, and I'm questioning whether it's worth it. I know it ultimately comes down to personal preference, and whether I care enough about the BHG blocker to keep it alive. What do you guys think, is spending to replace the palm a worthwhile endeavor, or is it not really worth it?

32 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

In summation, I see the cost of repairing my blocker approaching about half the price of a new blocker, and I'm questioning whether it's worth it. I know it ultimately comes down to personal preference, and whether I care enough about the BHG blocker to keep it alive. What do you guys think, is spending to replace the palm a worthwhile endeavor, or is it not really worth it?

While only slightly different, replacing my blocker palm in my Warrior GT was fantastic. It really made it feel almost brand new.

I say different due to the modular design of Warrior gloves. But I'm definitely a "Pro Palm Replacement" type of guy.

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

While only slightly different, replacing my blocker palm in my Warrior GT was fantastic. It really made it feel almost brand new.

I say different due to the modular design of Warrior gloves. But I'm definitely a "Pro Palm Replacement" type of guy.

Interesting, like you wouldn't have replaced it other wise?

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Interesting, like you wouldn't have replaced it other wise?

For a senior level blocker? Not really worth the effort/time to send it out for a palm replacement. Especially when the overall costs would be greater than 50% of the worth of the glove.

I only did it this time around due to getting a decent price on a replacement palm and how easy it is to replace at home. (5 min)

36 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

For a senior level blocker? Not really worth the effort/time to send it out for a palm replacement. Especially when the overall costs would be greater than 50% of the worth of the glove.

I only did it this time around due to getting a decent price on a replacement palm and how easy it is to replace at home. (5 min)

Seriously, you know it's time for a new blocker WHEN

1 minute ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Seriously, you know it's time for a new blocker WHEN

I mean, if you're super attached to a specific blocker or you can't get a new one without going custom (despite the rest of your gear still holding up) then I get it.

But for me, I like getting new iterations of gear every few years. A blocker seeing the end of it's life is just a convenient excuse.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, if you're super attached to a specific blocker or you can't get a new one without going custom (despite the rest of your gear still holding up) then I get it.

But for me, I like getting new iterations of gear every few years. A blocker seeing the end of it's life is just a convenient excuse.

The only thing I'm attached to is my pillow haha

On 5/30/2018 at 9:40 AM, stackem30 said:

Hey Mike, sorry for just getting back to you -- I'd forgotten to check in on this thread. I'm still deciding what my course of action will be with my blocker, but I'll let you know if I am still in need of a hiatus replacement! I really appreciate you reaching out, thanks man.

Not to scale back the conversation, but I'm curious how many of you have replaced the palm in your blocker. I'm considering sending mine to Sarah at Paw, and I think the new palm, replacement, and shipping will run me over $100. I'd also consider asking her to beef up the finger protection, which would cost some extra. I really like my 'ole BHG blocker, especially since Brian Heaton has passed away and his gear has become somewhat rare. Having said that, I've had it for close to 10 years now, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just suck it up and pony up for a new blocker (I'd be interested in a custom Kenesky blocker to match my leg pads).

Sarah has recently repalmed two Reebok PIII blockers for me, and I recommend her without hesitation. As far as whether it's worth it, if you like the blocker you have (and the blocker doesn't have any other signs of serious wear or fatigue), I think it's worth it. It will also help if you ultimately upgrade and want to resell it.

Archived