Maltese / ECO / Roughneck comparison

Chenner29

All,

It has been a while since I posted some content!

I am fortunate enough to have all three collars with me, and thought I would do a compare/contrast for everyone.

Before we go any further, I should disclose that I am a sales rep for Roughneck.  Shameless plug, if anyone is interested in picking one up, drop me a line and we can discuss.

I'll be comparing the two new units (ECO and Roughneck) to the original 2017 model Maltese.
The sport gold on the left is the Maltese, Roughneck is the blue unit in the middle, and ECO is the black model on the right.

As you can see below, the ECO model eschews the traditional cape/mullet while the Roughneck retains it.
Personally, I never saw a use for the cape.

The Maltese is a 17" neck, 1.5" collar height.
The Roughneck is a 17" neck, 1.5" collar height with dip in the front and back.
The Roughneck is a Large, with a stock dip in the front.

image.png.e82ca6f396e7b74592c62ac09c450309.pngimage.png.7e0c4e175e0e01b75025413c4a742709.pngimage.png.13d7f8e4cdc82888649c1a77fe19a3c4.png

Internally, all three units have the cross cuts (blue) and perforations (red) for airflow.  I marked these on the Maltese, but they are present on both the ECO and Roughneck models.

The cross cuts run about an inch apart and the perforations run about an inch and a half.

image.png.859aa81d390705286db9de10c83e69b3.pngimage.png.d9bf686ed65fc76f6abec4089d36790c.pngimage.png.b2fd04a3c7aacf55b1673678e507a8ef.png

All three units attach with Velcro.  I particularly like how the ECO model runs a protective piece over the velcro.  You can see the wear and tear my Maltese has picked up over a year of use.

image.png.c5fb34a1685bf6c4ac0fc1c0d6de9502.pngimage.png.933e38fc3fd9e038e0a341ce5ff0149c.pngimage.png.c353caeb122f62699a084423137deb89.png

One cool thing with the Roughneck is how the padding is cut on the clavicle portion.  It looks to slightly taper from top to bottom.  Another thing I like about the Roughneck is the dip in the front and back.  The dip was previously unavailable on a 1.5" collar height with Maltese. 

The ECO comes stock with a 2" collar height and small dip in the front.

image.thumb.png.aec6ccd6719c8818b13578932fbf4b2a.pngimage.png.18392f75b3a9e74ac6266574522b3a4a.png image.png.dcdb587d7b8f6d192f545e8a0b13613a.png

If anyone has any questions, give me a shout!

You compared specs but not use, comfort, performance, protection (if it occurred). If it's a conflict of interest, maybe you could have someone else give all three a run for a week each and then let them write a review of their own.

A simple suggestion.

29 minutes ago, RichMan said:

You compared specs but not use, comfort, performance, protection (if it occurred). If it's a conflict of interest, maybe you could have someone else give all three a run for a week each and then let them write a review of their own.

A simple suggestion.

“Simple” is a pretty apt usage in this case. 

Thats why it was titled “comparison” and not “review.” 

I've had both a Maltese and now have the EcoProFoam.

Things I hated about the Maltese -- that stupid cape.

Things I like about the EPF -- no stupid cape.

The EPF feels slightly lighter.  Haven't had it long enough to put it into use with a puck to the throat but in fairness, I've only ever taken 2-3 with my Maltese.  It feels hefty enough to protect me.

Why did i go with the EPF and not the Roughneck?  Mainly because Dennis had one in stock and I didn't want to wait.  Also, the Roughneck has the cape.  (See notes above.)  

Otherwise, the maltese and EPF feel very similar.  

There, comparison done.  

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

Is it worth getting a roughneck if I want to stop using a dangler?

I can't say that it will do the job of both a dangler and neck guard... but I can say that I don't wear a dangler... and between my Maltese neck guard (which is nearly verbatim the Roughneck) and my Passau C/A... I no longer wear a padded shirt either. 

On 1/31/2019 at 2:31 PM, jeff da goalie said:

I've had both a Maltese and now have the EcoProFoam.

Things I hated about the Maltese -- that stupid cape.

Things I like about the EPF -- no stupid cape.

The EPF feels slightly lighter.  Haven't had it long enough to put it into use with a puck to the throat but in fairness, I've only ever taken 2-3 with my Maltese.  It feels hefty enough to protect me.

Why did i go with the EPF and not the Roughneck?  Mainly because Dennis had one in stock and I didn't want to wait.  Also, the Roughneck has the cape.  (See notes above.)  

Otherwise, the maltese and EPF feel very similar.  

There, comparison done.  

I'll have to disagree on the weight... while my EPF was a prototype....

EPF was definitely the heaviest of the bunch. The EPF and Roughnecks both have a 2" collar vs. the Maltese 1.5"... but the real driver of the EPF weight is the bib being significantly thicker than the Roughneck and my Maltese. I need to get something up more in depth on my thoughts amongst them... but I felt the Roughneck was a superior guard... maybe because it's the closest to what I've become accustomed to in Maltese.

Regarding the cape... if you don't wear a shirt under your C/A then I can see how the cape could be annoying. But if you're like me and do wear a shirt... I can't say you'd even notice it. I did find these things called scissors though just in case... ✂️

IMG_1106.thumb.JPG.184dceb05db7234a9add77fc1412a3f0.JPG

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.cfa4b16cd634264fa232354caa5721b3.JPG

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.fb7f3898ab3af99d089a86dc31f4c0af.JPG

5 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'll have to disagree on the weight... while my EPF was a prototype....

EPF was definitely the heaviest of the bunch. The EPF and Roughnecks both have a 2" collar vs. the Maltese 1.5"... but the real driver of the EPF weight is the bib being significantly thicker than the Roughneck and my Maltese. I need to get something up more in depth on my thoughts amongst them... but I felt the Roughneck was a superior guard... maybe because it's the closest to what I've become accustomed to in Maltese.

Regarding the cape... if you don't wear a shirt under your C/A then I can see how the cape could be annoying. But if you're like me and do wear a shirt... I can't say you'd even notice it. I did find these things called scissors though just in case... ✂️

IMG_1106.thumb.JPG.184dceb05db7234a9add77fc1412a3f0.JPG

IMG_1107.thumb.JPG.cfa4b16cd634264fa232354caa5721b3.JPG

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.fb7f3898ab3af99d089a86dc31f4c0af.JPG

I subsequently bought a Roughneck.  Used both.  Sold the EPF.  Sucking it up with the mullet.

Anyone else have any problems getting their Maltese neck guard? I ordered mine in February when it said “in stock” and they said it would be two weeks. Still haven’t gotten it and now they’ve quit responding to emails... 

1 hour ago, Cmill2131 said:

Anyone else have any problems getting their Maltese neck guard? I ordered mine in February when it said “in stock” and they said it would be two weeks. Still haven’t gotten it and now they’ve quit responding to emails... 

Not even sure if they've been making gear at all in the last 7-8 months...

• 8 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, Cmill2131 said:

On 5/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, TitanG said:

Not even sure if they've been making gear at all in the last 7-8 months...

If I recall, Maltese US shut down operations in August 2018, the website was not functional after that.

I’m guessing you were dealing with the Canadian version, which was sourcing collars from ECO (until they got cut off) and then Roughneck.

As others have mentioned, I recommend you file a claim with your credit card company, then order straight to the manufacturer of your choice. 

Archived