The Official Unicorn Thread

RichMan

I know that on occasion there was mention of a "unicorn" in respective threads but I thought it might be fun to bunch it all up here in one unique thread.

So for the young ones or the newbies, a "unicorn" is?...

No
10 Magical Facts About Unicorns | 1800Flowers Petal Talk

Definitely not!
Bo Macdonald on X | Llama, Funny animals, Animals

A "unicorn" in the goalie world is that one special piece of gear that has been whispered of in arena hallways or Pro Shop backstores  but rarely if ever were viewed by the regular public. Luckily with the advent of locker room photographers, a new light was shown on these rumoured equipment and thus began several sightings and special gear hunters were born. The words "pro-return" were coined and the world of pro goalie equipment as we knew it was never the same. 

Certain pieces that were rare, were eventually produced by companies for mass consumption such as the Premier chest and arm protector aka The P1. Other pieces like the HPG12A and harder to find HPG14A pants came into the light. The Luongo thigh boards while his time in Vancouver. The Swiss knee protectors Hiller made famous. Recently the CCM AB18 chest and arm protector that was well documented from sports video clips and photographs from in the change rooms during the recent goalie gear sizing rule changes the past couple years has been showing up on used equipment stores and forums all over the web.

Now it's not uncommon to find a regular piece of equipment that we can buy in stores but have been used by pros and simply beefed up for their own protection at their level. But in my opinion, these are not truly qualified as a "unicorn", meaning one of a kind, only produced for the pros and not available to the general public. Clearly this is changing as we heard of CCM releasing the AB23 c/a as an available purchase order to any goalie out there shopping for high end gear.

So, now what? What, if anything, right now in goalie gear can be considered a "unicorn"? Has the industry come to grips with the pressure and demands of the public outcries "NO MORE...WE DEMAND THE SAME PROTECTION AS THE NHL PROS!!!...even though we play division d in beer league or as ankle benders at your local rink" 😛 

Are there no more secret products that we eagerly try to discover as the next cool thing to own before anyone out there? 
Imaging the Impossible — Mission: Impossible - The American Society of  Cinematographers (en-US)

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 3

I feel as there is less variations and secret sauce stuff. But the 2000s was certainly fun for that “Fleury foam/ strapping.” 

The orange Easton suspender at one time had this reputation as it kept popping up after Easton closed down. 

The closest thing I can think of now, is like Pro only stuff, such as the 2S based glove a lot of guys use. More guys in the NHL are using the 4.1 gear over the Hzrdus stuff. But I wouldn’t say they’re nearly as coveted to be true Unicorn’s. 

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

Just now, RedX said:

I feel as there is less variations and secret sauce stuff. But the 2000s was certainly fun for that “Fleury foam/ strapping.” 

The orange Easton suspender at one time had this reputation as it kept popping up after Easton closed down. And certain shaped Bauer dangler. 

The closest thing I can think of now, is like Pro only stuff, such as the 2S based glove a lot of guys use. More guys in the NHL are using the 4.1 gear over the Hzrdus stuff. But I wouldn’t say they’re nearly as coveted to be true Unicorn’s. 

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

Still waiting for this to be a thing...

I'd love if stick customizers were more open to people ordering custom sticks the way the companies let for their pro clientele. I'd love to get my hands on an Oettinger grip type stick (or even a standard trigger grip, or the Merlikinz style shoulder, or things like how Lyon has the grip-tack up the entire shaft, etc.).

Bauer Vapor 2X PRO Pro Stock Composite Goalie Stick 29" Paddle Oettinger  8442

8 hours ago, RedX said:

More guys in the NHL are using the 4.1 gear over the Hzrdus stuff. But I wouldn’t say they’re nearly as coveted to be true Unicorn’s. 

Probably not totally factual at this point. From memory the 4.1 user list includes: Fleury, Hellebuyck, Tokarski, and Samsonov. I may be missing someone in the AHL, but I don't think so. The HZRDUS has: Comrie, Sandstrom, Bobrovsky, Blackwood, Bussi, Hill, and Montembeault.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1

For me, real "gear unicorns" were the custom pieces of equipment made for goalies born usualy in 80´ which had their sometimes oldschool preferences in terms of gear. Lundqvist  - Bauer poster goalie, but specs of his gear.. Hiller with his pads, chest protector, knee guards and cowlings. Total custom equipment made ony for them. 

I think that we will still see some great ideas of pro goalies which will sometimes made it to the custom options for pros/public. But not so many unorthodox gear pieces that were made just for one goalie and vanished with him from the show.      

• Like 3

10 hours ago, keeperton said:

Probably not totally factual at this point. From memory the 4.1 user list includes: Fleury, Hellebuyck, Tokarski, and Samsonov. I may be missing someone in the AHL, but I don't think so. The HZRDUS has: Comrie, Sandstrom, Bobrovsky, Blackwood, Bussi, Hill, and Montembeault.

But are those guys is Hazardous? Or are they PX3's skinned? Or 12.2's skinned? Or 20.2's skinned? 

I think the 4.1's stand out more because of how easily identifiable they are. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

But are those guys is Hazardous? Or are they PX3's skinned? Or 12.2's skinned? Or 20.2's skinned? 

And where is the line between 20.2 and hzrdus now that you can order hzrdus with a thick thigh

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They're in HZRDUS pads. The tell is how the thigh thins out, the outer roll, and the profile of the pad. I do think it's interesting that there were a few guys that were 20.x guys that ended up in PX3 pads (main example I can point out is Varlamov, if you want others I can dig a bit). I do find it interesting that Dostal is still in his 20.2 sets and how Soderblom is in the SLR4 (after being in the 20.2 last year). At this point, the 12.2 and PX3 are essentially melded since anyone can order the PX3 with the "mid-thick" thigh, like how the HZRDUS can be ordered with the same option to make it more like the 20.2.

Obviously I can always be a little wrong, but True seems to be the least likely to totally care about skinning pads as something else just to do it. So much of the league is in the PX3 that if they were going to skin 'em as HZRDUS pads, I feel like they would have pushed that a bit harder.

I'm going to pop the catalogue back down here for ease of finding it for others.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Which is just a skinned 20.2 no? I'm under the impression the Hazardous is just a 20.2 with a PX3 thighrise. 

That is basically what it is, like how the PX3 was the next step of the 12.2. I think their custom program is finally in a good place, only took a few revisions (which seems to be the cycle for every company, really). A lot of companies have dialed in their custom program in the last few years in ways that have come leaps-and-bounds from where it used to be.

20 minutes ago, keeperton said:

They're in HZRDUS pads. The tell is how the thigh thins out, the outer roll, and the profile of the pad. I do think it's interesting that there were a few guys that were 20.x guys that ended up in PX3 pads (main example I can point out is Varlamov, if you want others I can dig a bit). I do find it interesting that Dostal is still in his 20.2 sets and how Soderblom is in the SLR4 (after being in the 20.2 last year). At this point, the 12.2 and PX3 are essentially melded since anyone can order the PX3 with the "mid-thick" thigh, like how the HZRDUS can be ordered with the same option to make it more like the 20.2.

Yea, after my comment I looked up Bob's '24 set and the notch is visible. True's new model is very on par with Bauer's in that options at full custom essentially let you pick and choose a myriad of specs that blends lines together. 

Shit, if it wasn't for the defacto yearly release schedule, these guys may as well just be releasing one line at a time. 

Obviously I can always be a little wrong, but True seems to be the least likely to totally care about skinning pads as something else just to do it. So much of the league is in the PX3 that if they were going to skin 'em as HZRDUS pads, I feel like they would have pushed that a bit harder.

Well all the 4.1 users pads are all skinned to the latest stiff pad version. ;) 

I think True is fortunate that they have a wide spread of users at the NHL level that needing to tinker with graphics for marketing purposes doesn't make sense. They just naturally get it. 

That is basically what it is, like how the PX3 was the next step of the 12.2. I think their custom program is finally in a good place, only took a few revisions (which seems to be the cycle for every company, really). A lot of companies have dialed in their custom program in the last few years in ways that have come leaps-and-bounds from where it used to be.

Definitely. The more options the better for us retail plebs. No longer is it CCM and Brian's for easy to acquire customization, 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, after my comment I looked up Bob's '24 set and the notch is visible. True's new model is very on par with Bauer's in that options at full custom essentially let you pick and choose a myriad of specs that blends lines together. 

Shit, if it wasn't for the defacto yearly release schedule, these guys may as well just be releasing one line at a time. 

Well all the 4.1 users pads are all skinned to the latest stiff pad version. ;) 

I think True is fortunate that they have a wide spread of users at the NHL level that needing to tinker with graphics for marketing purposes doesn't make sense. They just naturally get it. 

Definitely. The more options the better for us retail plebs. No longer is it CCM and Brian's for easy to acquire customization, 

Bob's previous 20.2s had the notch too, which was a little funny. Really the only thing True isn't offering anymore is the 4.1 for the general person, which I wonder what strings one would have to pull to make that happen.

I thought CCM's used to be a little crap for that, until like the Axis line came out anyway. Vaughn's has always been great too, to give them credit.

8 hours ago, keeperton said:

I'm going to pop the catalogue back down here for ease of finding it for others.

Lukáš Dostál was allways in CCM Premier, looks like he continues to use what he is comfortable in, same specs again and again. Maybe it is somthing shared by Anaheim Ducks goalies 😄? Gibson is in same set for years (from his Vaughn - CCM/True transition), Hiller was using the same model for more than 10 years without change...      

I have a pair of new in bag with tags attached pair of Rbk (Jofa) 7k shin guards that I got from the Flyers years ago. I presumed my kids would want to use them. They're from the long since closed Jofa factory in Sweden, so they're amazing. All the pros use these - they have the removable liners and all. 

I actually listed them on Sideline for $500 as they are 'unicorns" now since they are new in the bag. I have like 20 watching them but nobody has offered anything reasonable yet.

Jofa Pro Stock Hockey Shinguards New | SidelineSwap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, keeperton said:

Bob's previous 20.2s had the notch too, which was a little funny. Really the only thing True isn't offering anymore is the 4.1 for the general person, which I wonder what strings one would have to pull to make that happen.

Better work on your tongue game. 

I thought CCM's used to be a little crap for that, until like the Axis line came out anyway. Vaughn's has always been great too, to give them credit.

I feel like the CCM Premier and Premier 2 (second iteration) had a decent bespoke customization options available at retail. I remember it being pretty unique compared to the other companies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MTH said:

I have a pair of new in bag with tags attached pair of Rbk (Jofa) 7k shin guards that I got from the Flyers years ago. I presumed my kids would want to use them. They're from the long since closed Jofa factory in Sweden, so they're amazing. All the pros use these - they have the removable liners and all. 

I actually listed them on Sideline for $500 as they are 'unicorns" now since they are new in the bag. I have like 20 watching them but nobody has offered anything reasonable yet.

Jofa Pro Stock Hockey Shinguards New | SidelineSwap

Nobody younger will appreciate these, especially at $500. Kids my age will just buy whatever is new regardless of preference. Might find some people in their late 30s or early 40s who are interested

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Nobody younger will appreciate these, especially at $500. Kids my age will just buy whatever is new regardless of preference. Might find some people in their late 30s or early 40s who are interested

I assure you there are dudes in their mid-20s to mid-30s that are also into these, though likely not $500 worth either (since some of the guys I'm playing with haven't updated their gear since high school or university and I think my youngest teammate is 25).

13 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

My kids think these are odd since they're not Bauer of CCM. Sweden? Who cares?

My older one wears a pair of old CCM shins his buddy gave him when he got a new pair. 

My 14 year old wears Jofa shins now. I picked up a new old stock pair. Says the kids on his team joke about them.

17 minutes ago, MTH said:

My kids think these are odd since they're not Bauer of CCM. Sweden? Who cares?

My older one wears a pair of old CCM shins his buddy gave him when he got a new pair. 

My 14 year old wears Jofa shins now. I picked up a new old stock pair. Says the kids on his team joke about them.

And then who enters the dressing room but Mats Sundin and says "cool gear kid" to your son while giving everyone else the death stare :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

And then who enters the dressing room but Mats Sundin and says "cool gear kid" to your son while giving everyone else the death stare :D 

I hope thats a real story. I got made fun of for wearing koho’s when I was younger and they were from like 2016, when goalie monkey brought them back with Hiller. Got made fun of for having “90s” gear until I showed everyone my instagram dm from Jonas himself telling me my gear was awesome! One of my best moments all time.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I hope thats a real story. I got made fun of for wearing koho’s when I was younger and they were from like 2016, when goalie monkey brought them back with Hiller. Got made fun of for having “90s” gear until I showed everyone my instagram dm from Jonas himself telling me my gear was awesome! One of my best moments all time.

Those Koho's were epic. I'd appluad them.

• Like 1

Sold the unicorns for $400. Someone paying 400 for shin pads will treat them right. The price tag on them was $40 I paid for them a long time ago from the Flyers gear sale. Decent return on investment I guess.

• Like 4