The Official Unicorn Thread

RichMan

22 hours ago, RichMan said:

And then who enters the dressing room but Mats Sundin and says "cool gear kid" to your son while giving everyone else the death stare :D 

His white game socks are kinda thin. So the Jofa logo is visible. I've heard a few parents talk about his 'cool Jofa shins'. 

I'm in Philly. My kids wouldn't know Mats Sundin (sadly) even if he came in wearing his jersey and holding his HoF plaque.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MTH said:

His white game socks are kinda thin. So the Jofa logo is visible. I've heard a few parents talk about his 'cool Jofa shins'. 

I'm in Philly. My kids wouldn't know Mats Sundin (sadly) even if he came in wearing his jersey and holding his HoF plaque.

I was gonna mention Bjorn but then I remembered he past away and would be even more oblivious to those kids lolll

A few unicorn candidates came to my mind today while fixing the Reactor 9000 blocker. That model is considered very good blocker and actually quite rare too. Now you can get it through Bauer custom. I'll be comparing R9000 and Vapor 1X soon.

The other one from gloves is of course Koho/RBK/CCM/Lefevre/True 580 catcher. That was very rare piece even when you could get it through custom, and only now it is really coming into the market. I'm waiting if it will replace the 600 or 590 in the stores.

5 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

A few unicorn candidates came to my mind today while fixing the Reactor 9000 blocker. That model is considered very good blocker and actually quite rare too. Now you can get it through Bauer custom. I'll be comparing R9000 and Vapor 1X soon.

The other one from gloves is of course Koho/RBK/CCM/Lefevre/True 580 catcher. That was very rare piece even when you could get it through custom, and only now it is really coming into the market. I'm waiting if it will replace the 600 or 590 in the stores.

The 600 is about dead. Eflex is now a 580 continuation and axis is staying as a 590. True may still have 600s at retail but interesting is slipping

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

The 600 is about dead. Eflex is now a 580 continuation and axis is staying as a 590. True may still have 600s at retail but interesting is slipping

I still remember how sought after the unicorn reebok 600 break was at the time. 

How things change 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I still remember how sought after the unicorn reebok 600 break was at the time. 

How things change 

IIRC the 600 was highly rumored to be based off another well-loved glove, the Vaughn 5500 

I remember in the early 2000's the unicorn chest protector from RBK, the pro spec p1 which was based off the previous Koho 590 unit. They couldn't be ordered from a store, the only way was pro returns from the various pro/semi pro and Jr hockey leagues ( same now as the CCM pro unit) . Because of the new rules with smaller chest protectors coming out they changed the arms on them. I had an actual new Koho 590 pro spec, same as the p1  pro spec at the time that came from Jason Labarbara ( same colors as below but with the RBK  sized arms) . On the old GSBB I was getting PM's with crazy offers for it because no one had ever seen a pro spec Koho unit. Later on a few years after the craziness of the unit, Roddy at The Goalie Crease worked with Reebok and came out with a retail p1 pro spec unit ( last picture), and that ended the whole unicorn label with unit.

1_2a2526277222cb7d53f35d22d9b382d4.jpg

1_3528cb51fc073e9178bc1163fe242c97.jpg

1_3528cb51fc073e9178bc1163fe242c97 (1).jpg

fb0c3ee521a0b334_original.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

I remember in the early 2000's the unicorn chest protector from RBK, the pro spec p1 which was based off the previous Koho 590 unit. They couldn't be ordered from a store, the only way was pro returns from the various pro/semi pro and Jr hockey leagues ( same now as the CCM pro unit) . Because of the new rules with smaller chest protectors coming out they changed the arms on them. I had an actual new Koho 590 pro spec, same as the p1  pro spec at the time that came from Jason Labarbara ( same colors as below but with the RBK  sized arms) . On the old GSBB I was getting PM's with crazy offers for it because no one had ever seen a pro spec Koho unit. Later on a few years after the craziness of the unit, Roddy at The Goalie Crease worked with Reebok and came out with a retail p1 pro spec unit ( last picture), and that ended the whole unicorn label with unit.

And there were 2 different versions of the retail 590; a Made In Canada and a Made in China.  The Chinese one didnt have the label on the left elbow floater was the easiest way to tell.  There was a stark contrast in protection and build quality between the 2.  The Canadian one was a tank, the Chinese one was akin to a senior level but asking a pro level price.  Retailers were getting both toward the end of the cycle so it was a crap shoot which one you would get at order.

The Goalie Crease units were absolute tanks.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:54 AM, Snowman30 said:

Loved those, especially the all black version. I always wanted one haha. I'd still take one when my CCM AB P1 ever went bust. If I could find one...