Beginner 48yrs old protection is important

48yroldbegining

I was looking at sideline swap there’s a pair of reebok24xt pads my size newer for $199 or a older model warrior g something look in good shape for $245 what would you buy if you were a 48 yr old beginner who’s never played before and my only concern is protection . Thanks I can’t wait to play,mike 

Hi Mike, welcome to the puck stopping club! For pads and glove/blocker, I would think senior level gear would be adequate protection for you if you're getting started. I'd say the most important piece for protection is your mask - avoid the low end stuff from CCM/Bauer. Also, there's some good info on masks in the threads here. Good luck!

Leg pads, no matter the brand, are going to be protective (long as your buying butterfly pads to play butterfly style, for example).

Blockers, I've worn several and never felt a thing in them.

Gloves, started out with a low end senior level and hated it. Felt everything that hit it and my hand would be numb halfway through.

Chesty, again started with a low end senior and hated it. Do yourself a favor and get a solid chesty right from the start.

Helmet and cup are two areas that you don't want to skip. Get that protected!

Skates, make sure you get skates that fit you properly! Your going to be standing a lot and want to be comfortable.

My order of importance - I am thinking of areas you will be mostly exposed and also have the biggest discrepancy between Sr and Pro 

1. Mask - Used PRO level should be fine. Masked Marvel ( @Joe Messina ) , ProtechSport, or OTNY if you can afford new, but are on a budget 

2. Check protector - I would look for a used Pro level or Boddom or Simmons - You will probably get hit here the most 

3. Glove - Used Pro or Passau - Stingers are kinda unavoidable, so I wouldn't skimp 

4. Pads - Sr is okay (used pro is never a bad idea if you can afford it)

5. Blocker - Sr is okay (used pro is never a bad idea if you can afford it)

A lot of factors can go into this.  Whats your budget?  How big are you?  How often do you plan on playing?  Protection wise, definitely don't skimp on the mask, cup or chesty.  I'd say go with a glove with a pro palm as well because no matter the level, there is always a guy that can rip it...this guy is also why you need a good mask...lol.

I ask about size and frequency because at 215lbs, I can't use Sr. level gear when playing 2-3 times per week.  The core of the pad just breaks down too quickly.  This is becoming more of a problem as pads keep getting thinner and lighter.  Granted, that is more of a performance issue and not so much protection, but just throwing that out there.

@48yroldbegining : Just wanted to say mad props, man! I started earlier this year at age 39, so I (think I) understand a bit of what you're going through. I felt a bit crazy to be starting from scratch at a relatively advanced age, but we are far from being alone in undertaking the goalering as adults. And this site is a great place to be for a net minding neophyte!

For your question(s), I think @jayluv54 asks some good questions in return about frequency of play, budget, size, level etc.. For me, I started off only in lessons - but even at that, I got dinged in the coconut by my goalie coach! I mean, he's not even supposed to be trying to hurt me (at least I don't think he is...) All of that to say I very much agree with the others who recommend spending a bit more on a good/great mask. I can't speak to the non-cert cat eye as I've never worn one, but I find the bars on mine pretty much "disappear" as people told me they would.

18 hours ago, 48yroldbegining said:

Thanks everyone for feedback, does anyone use Bauer nme8 non cert cats eye mask , I tried it on and like it. Is it enough protection?

Nme 8 is decent, but depending on the cost, you might be able to do better.  Try on as many as you can, fit is most important.  Non cert cat eye is fine, just know that a stick can fit thru, so if true protection is your goal, you may want a certified cage.

10 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

Nme 8 is decent, but depending on the cost, you might be able to do better.  Try on as many as you can, fit is most important.  Non cert cat eye is fine, just know that a stick can fit thru, so if true protection is your goal, you may want a certified cage.

Just don't get a cert cat eye. Only benders use those.

5 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

@48yroldbegining : Just wanted to say mad props, man! I started earlier this year at age 39, so I (think I) understand a bit of what you're going through. I felt a bit crazy to be starting from scratch at a relatively advanced age, but we are far from being alone in undertaking the goalering as adults. And this site is a great place to be for a net minding neophyte!

For your question(s), I think @jayluv54 asks some good questions in return about frequency of play, budget, size, level etc.. For me, I started off only in lessons - but even at that, I got dinged in the coconut by my goalie coach! I mean, he's not even supposed to be trying to hurt me (at least I don't think he is...) All of that to say I very much agree with the others who recommend spending a bit more on a good/great mask. I can't speak to the non-cert cat eye as I've never worn one, but I find the bars on mine pretty much "disappear" as people told me they would.

Thanks lucky, I’m going to start clinics when I get all gear then beginners league I have a house to buy and a son with autism he gets most of my time and money. So I hope to be on ice by September still need pants, chest , cup and mask, I bought a pro glove a blocker a stick and pads are on way warrior pads we also got a GoPro camera my son is psyched to film me can’t wait to stop pucks thanks everyone for feedback . Ps I’m a full right goalie 

On 7/3/2018 at 1:17 PM, 48yroldbegining said:

Thanks lucky, I’m going to start clinics when I get all gear then beginners league I have a house to buy and a son with autism he gets most of my time and money. So I hope to be on ice by September still need pants, chest , cup and mask, I bought a pro glove a blocker a stick and pads are on way warrior pads we also got a GoPro camera my son is psyched to film me can’t wait to stop pucks thanks everyone for feedback . Ps I’m a full right goalie 

So you're basically doing nothing all summer? LMAO!

I wish you all the best, brother! :fistbump:

Archived