Changing Leather Straps to Velco and Elastic on Reebok Premier 1 Pads

Netnewbie

Well I got a speedstitch and it works great.  Now I plan on switching out my leather straps to Velcro and elastic stretch bands.  Is there a certain type of Velcro to use or just make sure it's sticky?    Any tips on products that worked well or stay away from would be great.  Other tips would be appreciated as well.

Premier 1.

The Koho patch is neat.  Must have been a first run of the P1 when they were still 12" wide.

I wouldn't recommend using an elastic only strap setup on these. The pads are heavy and designed to be worn loose. 
You'll burn out the elastic pretty quick, particularly the top calf strap. 

If you're looking for weight savings, you can switch to a nylon webbing (1" wide) and sew velcro onto that.

I made myself a hybrid nylon webbing/ leather straping for my Nxg's. Im thinking of swapping them out for a Lindquist type straping. I'll take pictures when I get home. As for Velcro I used whatever fabricland had. So far works great! 

1 hour ago, itis121 said:

I made myself a hybrid nylon webbing/ leather straping for my Nxg's. Im thinking of swapping them out for a Lindquist type straping. I'll take pictures when I get home. As for Velcro I used whatever fabricland had. So far works great! 

That would be awesome!

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Changing leather straps to Velco and Elastic on Reebok Premier 1 Pads

The goal for me was to get the the sliding surface as perpendicular to the front as the pad as possible while still having straps as tight as I like them. 

20180706_224742.thumb.jpg.900855446f2ca50e0745d494f5dff332.jpg20180706_224725.thumb.jpg.a5f435dbda922fdd3190c7b77b6fb6cc.jpg20180706_224826.thumb.jpg.3a3f5119578bf1c4de2bccc8e94cced6.jpg

If I remember correctly I made this strap 15 minutes prior to leaving for a game. I was too lazy to sew the final pieces of velcro together so I crazy glued them. I'm ultimately want to remove the buckes and turn all the straps (knee block, thighrise, calf & boot) to be like Lindquist's, simular to the CRS boot strap.

For your case I would cut the strap down to about an inch or two and sew nylon webbing with the Velcro to that. Just a suggestion. 

1 hour ago, itis121 said:

The goal for me was to get the the sliding surface as perpendicular to the front as the pad as possible while still having straps as tight as I like them. 

20180706_224742.thumb.jpg.900855446f2ca50e0745d494f5dff332.jpg20180706_224725.thumb.jpg.a5f435dbda922fdd3190c7b77b6fb6cc.jpg20180706_224826.thumb.jpg.3a3f5119578bf1c4de2bccc8e94cced6.jpg

If I remember correctly I made this strap 15 minutes prior to leaving for a game. I was too lazy to sew the final pieces of velcro together so I crazy glued them. I'm ultimately want to remove the buckes and turn all the straps (knee block, thighrise, calf & boot) to be like Lindquist's, simular to the CRS boot strap.

For your case I would cut the strap down to about an inch or two and sew nylon webbing with the Velcro to that. Just a suggestion. 

Nice thanks.  Like stated above use the nylon in place of the elastic to make it last longer but still be able to do up faster right?  That's the main reason I want to change it make it easier to do up and faster.

12 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

Nice thanks.  Like stated above use the nylon in place of the elastic to make it last longer but still be able to do up faster right?  That's the main reason I want to change it make it easier to do up and faster.

To me it's quicker I don't have to loop a long strap on the buckle and don't have to count the holes I passed when strapping. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Changing Leather Straps to Velco and Elastic on Reebok Premier 1 Pads
  • 2 months later...

Archived