Brian's Optik Pro Glove vs. Bauer S170 Glove

Adam Cooper

Here is my review of the Brian's Optik Pro Glove vs. Bauer S170 Glove.

This video is about Brian's Optik Pro Goalie Glove vs. Bauer S170 Glove. I’ve used the Bauer S170 for 9 months and purchased this upgraded Optik glove this summer. In the couple skates I’ve had with the Optik glove it is a fantastic goalie glove. The double T with lace in the pocket just eats up pucks and they don’t pop out. The amount of rebounds I’ve been able to minimize is a game changer. I’ve had teammates already comment that my glove hand is better. Brian’s has also done an amazing job breaking in this glove. It closes really great for a game ready palm. The boa system for tightening the glove works so well and the clam shell opening to air out the glove is easy to open and gain access to the boa set up quickly.

Bauer S170:

This glove is a good deal for the price coming in at a fraction of the cost compared to the Optik. So if you are on a budget then this glove should work fine. If you are really particular and performance is paramount then this glove is not for you. Gaps for this glove, break-in time, ability for puck to stick in the basket, palm protection for high level shots, finally the Velcro and strapping is not nearly at the level of a pro Optik.

In summary, hard to compare these goalie gloves as they are in different classes but I hope this helpfully highlights the differences between an entry level vs. pro glove. If you have $$$$ and are focused on performance go with a pro glove like the Brian’s Optik. If you are on a tight budget, like to upgrade regularly then go with this Bauer.

I hear you. I’m catching up on my videos so this one was recorded in late June which explains the minimal puck marks. I’m now 7 games in having used my new gear and this glove is still exceeding my expectations. I honestly have not had one pop out catch. Everything that goes in does not come out. Here is a pic today of my Optik glove and as you can see it’s now starting to finally get marked up. 

2B2D7B9E-0F85-4E03-983D-9140FC4FD17A.thumb.jpeg.38c89331676b221052ba5319f953001d.jpeg

On 7/17/2018 at 5:26 AM, Adam Cooper said:

I hear you. I’m catching up on my videos so this one was recorded in late June which explains the minimal puck marks. I’m now 7 games in having used my new gear and this glove is still exceeding my expectations. I honestly have not had one pop out catch. Everything that goes in does not come out. Here is a pic today of my Optik glove and as you can see it’s now starting to finally get marked up.

Excellent. Thanks man. I figured you were actually using the gear, but damn did your shit look immaculate.

21 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I would say that Pro material may not show the puck marks quite like a senior or lower-tier senior material. Just putting out that possibility.

The newer Bauer stuff with the coretech skin definitely shows puck marks more than regular jenpro, but there shouldn't be a difference of PMR (Puck Mark Retention) between a SR catcher and a pro catcher.

14 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Excellent. Thanks man. I figured you were actually using the gear, but damn did your shit look immaculate.

The newer Bauer stuff with the coretech skin definitely shows puck marks more than regular jenpro, but there shouldn't be a difference of PMR (Puck Mark Retention) between a SR catcher and a pro catcher.

I have seen it personally. In theory, it should not happen...

Archived