Pre-Game Jitters

Max27

Not sure if Lifestyle was the best section to put this under but i couldnt find a better fit.

So before I play games, I sometimes get very nervous. I get super up-tight and sometimes shake out of anxiety pre game. 
But then, I walk into the rink and I feel completley fine, and you wouldnt think I was nervous at all going into the game unless you were in the car with me. 

It has started to go away, my last game I was super calm and loose before my game but I ended up losing, and I won a lot of the games I was playing before that.

Maybe the crazy nerves were my mind prepping??
If you know anythig about what im saying, or even feel like this, please lmk why this is happening lol

Thanks

I’ve experienced odd issues like this off and on over the years... I just feel I get so excited for “go time” hours or even a day or two in advance that I need an outlet for all that pent up energy, both physical and mental. Some times throwing on some headphones and stretching deeply will calm things... other times it’s not until you take the first couple shots of the game.  It hasn’t changed much with age either... always looking to compete at a high level no matter what league is skating.

25 minutes ago, CG35 said:

I’ve experienced odd issues like this off and on over the years... I just feel I get so excited for “go time” hours or even a day or two in advance that I need an outlet for all that pent up energy, both physical and mental. Some times throwing on some headphones and stretching deeply will calm things... other times it’s not until you take the first couple shots of the game.  It hasn’t changed much with age either... always looking to compete at a high level no matter what league is skating.

yeah, ill end up walking in circles around the rink sometimes with teammates just getting stored kind of ¨hyped up¨ energy lol

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

I like to watch a bit of a practice or game going on before mine.  To get me dialed in. I track the puck and watch the shooters. Yes I’m one those guys that shows up way early for his games. 

lol so am i. my teammates wonder why i go so early

I also get very nervous and anxious before each game and let's just say it does a number on my digestive system.  This same response happens when I'm doing an important business presentation or speaking to a large audience and it's normal.  I believe this happens because I want to do well and not fail and having some nerves is a good thing.  Just important you don't let them take over.

If it's a late game where my energy is low I'll down a 5-hour energy or a small coffee 1.5 hours before the game.  Not too big as you don't want to get heartburn during the game.

For me to keep calm and focused I need to ensure I'm early for my game by 30--45 minutes so I can pull out all my gear out, and get prepared.  I hate rushing.   I get suited up from the pants down then go out of the dressing room to do some stretching and warm up moves (quick butterfly drops and some squats) and watch the game ahead of us.  This helps me focus and take control.  Then it's all about getting on the ice, dropping off the back-up stick on the bench, setting up the GoPro on the glass and ensuring the net is solidly in the ice.  I then have an opportunity to get about 5-10 warm up shots before the game starts.  Welcome to recreation hockey...

9 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

I also get very nervous and anxious before each game and let's just say it does a number on my digestive system.  This same response happens when I'm doing an important business presentation or speaking to a large audience and it's normal.  I believe this happens because I want to do well and not fail and having some nerves is a good thing.  Just important you don't let them take over.

If it's a late game where my energy is low I'll down a 5-hour energy or a small coffee 1.5 hours before the game.  Not too big as you don't want to get heartburn during the game.

For me to keep calm and focused I need to ensure I'm early for my game by 30--45 minutes so I can pull out all my gear out, and get prepared.  I hate rushing.   I get suited up from the pants down then go out of the dressing room to do some stretching and warm up moves (quick butterfly drops and some squats) and watch the game ahead of us.  This helps me focus and take control.  Then it's all about getting on the ice, dropping off the back-up stick on the bench, setting up the GoPro on the glass and ensuring the net is solidly in the ice.  I then have an opportunity to get about 5-10 warm up shots before the game starts.  Welcome to recreation hockey...

yeah i usually take deep breaths before i play and stuff like that to calm down.

Routine.

Routine will both give your mind something else to focus on (not to the point of distraction) and provide normalcy for preparation regardless of the skate; practice or game. Do the things that allow you to feel prepared and confident. Could be what you eat, music, stretching routine, taping your stick, even just laying your equipment out in a certain way. Again, nothing to get obsessive about where you can't function if you run later than usual or something, but enough to let those nerves go.

Also you can't let win or lose determine how you prepare, the goal should be consistency. When you're consistent you can identify what needs improving or not and work on it to be better. You could play well but just not have the run support, or a couple weird bounces happen, and end up losing. Is what it is. Control what you can control and embrace what you can't.

I've never really experience pregame nerves, but I would echo what @BadAngle41 said: routine is a terrific distraction, and it gives you a sense of control (or at least, the illusion of control). I'd agree that you should not get too obsessive about your routine.

One thing I must have been really nervous about as a young goalie (I can't really remember) is having enough time to get dressed, because to this day, my most reoccurring dreams are stress dreams about being late to The Big Game... I'm late. Everyone's already dressed, and they're counting on me. I have 5 minutes to get dressed before puck-drop. I'm trying to get dressed as fast as possible, but I'm doing everything innnnn slowwwwww mooootionnnnn. 4 minutes. Why can't a get this strap buckled? 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, etc. Not always, but in some dreams, I'll finally finish getting dressed, and then realize that I forgot to put on my skates, so I'll need to start over. It's like something out of a bad cartoon.

I don't have stress dreams about my career, my marriage, my friends, or anything other than abstract concepts like 'falling'. But without fail, I have stress dreams about being late for hockey and having to rush through getting dressed every few months at a minimum. Seriously, it's the worst... but I'm tickled that the fear of being late/rushed is so engrained in my psyche.

10 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I've never really experience pregame nerves, but I would echo what @BadAngle41 said: routine is a terrific distraction, and it gives you a sense of control (or at least, the illusion of control). I'd agree that you should not get too obsessive about your routine.

One thing I must have been really nervous about as a young goalie (I can't really remember) is having enough time to get dressed, because to this day, my most reoccurring dreams are stress dreams about being late to The Big Game... I'm late. Everyone's already dressed, and they're counting on me. I have 5 minutes to get dressed before puck-drop. I'm trying to get dressed as fast as possible, but I'm doing everything innnnn slowwwwww mooootionnnnn. 4 minutes. Why can't a get this strap buckled? 3 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, etc. Not always, but in some dreams, I'll finally finish getting dressed, and then realize that I forgot to put on my skates, so I'll need to start over. It's like something out of a bad cartoon.

I don't have stress dreams about my career, my marriage, my friends, or anything other than abstract concepts like 'falling'. But without fail, I have stress dreams about being late for hockey and having to rush through getting dressed every few months at a minimum. Seriously, it's the worst... but I'm tickled that the fear of being late/rushed is so engrained in my psyche.

exactly. ive found getting my pants, pads, skates, etc pretty much everything but chest pad, jersey, mask, and gloves, and relaxing, chatting to teammates, just gets me relaxed. 

got a game tn at 8, and ive found just relaxing before games gets me much more prepared than being more uptight.

9 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Routine.

Routine will both give your mind something else to focus on (not to the point of distraction) and provide normalcy for preparation regardless of the skate; practice or game. Do the things that allow you to feel prepared and confident. Could be what you eat, music, stretching routine, taping your stick, even just laying your equipment out in a certain way. Again, nothing to get obsessive about where you can't function if you run later than usual or something, but enough to let those nerves go.

Also you can't let win or lose determine how you prepare, the goal should be consistency. When you're consistent you can identify what needs improving or not and work on it to be better. You could play well but just not have the run support, or a couple weird bounces happen, and end up losing. Is what it is. Control what you can control and embrace what you can't.

This.  I used to get nervous about games as well.  It was mostly when I was going through slumps.  Keeping up with a routine helps to keep focused on the task at hand so you don't have to worry about the other things.  

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This.  I used to get nervous about games as well.  It was mostly when I was going through slumps.  Keeping up with a routine helps to keep focused on the task at hand so you don't have to worry about the other things.  

yeah, just lost my game 5-2, awful game on my half lol i need to find a routine

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Pre-Game Jitters
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, Mike24 said:

I like to watch a bit of a practice or game going on before mine.  To get me dialed in. I track the puck and watch the shooters. Yes I’m one those guys that shows up way early for his games. 

This is something I do as well.  I watch games and stretch at the same time.   I also look at other goalies and see what they're doing. 

On 8/9/2018 at 10:16 PM, Max27 said:

yeah, just lost my game 5-2, awful game on my half lol i need to find a routine

One thing I do during games, is I focus on game play and repeat "One shot at a time" to myself.     It keeps me calm and keeps me focused on the next shot instead of 

past shots or final outcome.    Over and over and over I find that the calmer I am, the better I play. 

8 hours ago, varano said:

One thing I do during games, is I focus on game play and repeat "One shot at a time" to myself.     It keeps me calm and keeps me focused on the next shot instead of 

past shots or final outcome.    Over and over and over I find that the calmer I am, the better I play. 

ya i do the same

I’d like to keep this short but just find a consistent routine once you know you can adapt with it no matter what rink there is.

I personally deal with anxiety so I get those jitters all the time. If you ever warm up with racket balls / tennis balls etc keep it fairly simple along with your pregame stretching so you save energy. Since I’m one of the only girls on my tram and the o my goalie, me and the two other girls wait for the guys to get dressed after we do, I find somewhere to sit and I just close my eyes and try to think about nothing, but if anything find motivation in myself to keep my team in the game until we get called in. So if it helps just find some space where you can be by yourself if you can. 

Archived