Torn on next set

Max27

4 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Have you considered the CCM Premier's instead of the EFlex's? Even the lower-end lines should give you what you're looking for. Might not have the durability of a Pro pad, but it could help your game if that's what you're looking for. And the new Premier 2's have a stiff knee block with some softer texture on the landing gear. Best of both worlds from the looks of it. And even if you still don't like the landing, you could always upgrade your knee guards, too.

I have heard as well that the EFlex 3's are stiffer than the 2's, but after awhile they will breakdown and become soft. A Premier pad would hold up a lot longer if you're looking for something stiff with a great ice seal.

For me, I like a stiff pad but I don't mind a little flex being worked into the pad long-term. So I went with a custom set of CCM Premier 1's with no outer break with two inner breaks. Stiff, but with a nice S curve that has only looked better as time went on.

arent the premier 1s like really heavy?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Max27 said:

lol, no pad that has released in the last 5-6 years is remotely heavy.

36 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i do wear knee pads but theyre like not bulky at all. and ive heard from many people that the vapors tend to play a lot like the supremes, and that they were very stiff. Trav4Oilers, someone who used the 1s line, said that he thought the vapors were even stiffer than the supremes.

all i disliked about the eflex 2s were the poor seal, and they were too flexble for me. They were the 760s, which are the entry level which are obviously not gonna have the quality of the pros or the senior model, and the inconsistent rebounds.some would stay close, some would boost out. I heard that the ef3s were stiffer than the ef2s, but not by a lot, and thats what i would enjoy.

I have thought about trying other soft pads, I tried the SLRs once but I wasnt a fan of the way they felt on my leg.

this is the model of knee guards i wear, you can see they arent bulky at all lol

Eflex pads have great seal. A lefebrve pad is well known for that.

Take a look at the P2's. Very soft boot, but everything else is very stiff.

27 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Depends on how you define "heavy". Were the CCM P1's the lightest pad on the market? No, but they are very well balanced once you put them on and move around, drop to the ice, etc.

I have been wearing them since last October and love them. They seal the ice very nicely. 

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

lol, no pad that has released in the last 5-6 years is remotely heavy.

Eflex pads have great seal. A lefebrve pad is well known for that.

Take a look at the P2's. Very soft boot, but everything else is very stiff.

i remember on pure hockey they said the p1 are 6ish lbs, which is heavy for a pad.

ive also seen reviews that the p1s are very heavy too

on my eflex 2 pads the seal around the five hole isnt great, and ive noticed i let up goals from that in my last few games.

heres pics of what i mean. ignore the car in the background theyre on my porch lol

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

1 minute ago, creasecollector said:

Depends on how you define "heavy". Were the CCM P1's the lightest pad on the market? No, but they are very well balanced once you put them on and move around, drop to the ice, etc.

I have been wearing them since last October and love them. They seal the ice very nicely. 

because i saw on pure hockey that they were 6.1 lbs i think they said which is kinda heavy

A word to the wise: don't worry about what trav4oilers says about a pad's stiffness or weight. Or take it with a grain of salt. I'll leave my personal feelings aside, but a lot of these social media personalities pretty much have to present 'hot takes' or strong opinions on things that are really minutia — it's their job to generate content, and that doesn't happen by saying (true) things like what Coop said about how any pad made in the last 5-6 years is going to be plenty light, and a-ok. They have to act as though a few shaved ounces or an extra degree of stiffness makes all the difference in the world. 

I believe I recall reading that you're new to the position, right? I'd try to get a better sense of what you like... what works with your body type, how you move, your style, your budget, your physical growth, etc. Your preferences might be vastly difference than someone on Instagram's.

For what its worth, I didn't even know what a stiff/soft knee landing was when I started playing. I certainly didn't know how much my pads weighed. I knew they fit, I knew I liked how they looked, and I knew they'd hold up and allow me to play with confidence until my next pair. I'm not saying cluelessness about gear is a quality you should shoot for — it's great that you're looking to gain knowledge and get the best gear you can. And I'm not saying that someone who's new to the position can't be super into gear, or listen to the takes of someone who has very specific (personal) opinions. But know that no modern pad will be too heavy for you to learn to play excellent goal and enjoy the hell out of yourself in net! I just don't want to see someone get fixated on stuff that isn't terribly important when you're learning the position.

5 minutes ago, Max27 said:

because i saw on pure hockey that they were 6.1 lbs i think they said which is kinda heavy

I believe the Warriors that year came out to about 4.2 lbs per pad. So the CCM Premier 1's add about an extra 2 pounds per pad. So while they are heavier, it only amounts to 4lbs of difference overall for a complete set of pads. Not too big of a deal, and I don't find my P1's heavy at all to be honest. So it depends on what you're looking for and what is the best for your game. Plus strapping setups can effect the weight as well, although very slightly. 

2 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

A word to the wise: don't worry about what trav4oilers says about a pad's stiffness or weight. Or take it with a grain of salt. I'll leave my personal feelings aside, but a lot of these social media personalities pretty much have to present 'hot takes' or strong opinions on things that are really minutia — it's their job to generate content, and that doesn't happen by saying (true) things like what Coop said about how any pad made in the last 5-6 years is going to be plenty light, and a-ok. They have to act as though a few shaved ounces or an extra degree of stiffness makes all the difference in the world. 

I believe I recall reading that you're new to the position, right? I'd try to get a better sense of what you like... what works with your body type, how you move, your style, your budget, your physical growth, etc. Your preferences might be vastly difference than someone on Instagram's.

For what its worth, I didn't even know what a stiff/soft knee landing was when I started playing. I certainly didn't know how much my pads weighed. I knew they fit, I knew I liked how they looked, and I knew they'd hold up and allow me to play with confidence until my next pair. I'm not saying cluelessness about gear is a quality you should shoot for — it's great that you're looking to gain knowledge and get the best gear you can. And I'm not saying that someone who's new to the position can't be super into gear, or listen to the takes of someone who has very specific (personal) opinions. But know that no modern pad will be too heavy for you to learn to play excellent goal and enjoy the hell out of yourself in net! I just don't want to see someone get fixated on stuff that isn't terribly important when you're learning the position.

yeah, im relatively new still, began when i was 13 and i turn 15 in a week

Just now, creasecollector said:

I believe the Warriors that year came out to about 4.2 lbs per pad. So the CCM Premier 1's add about an extra 2 pounds per pad. So while they are heavier, it only amounts to 4lbs of difference overall for a complete set of pads. Not too big of a deal, and I don't find my P1's heavy at all to be honest. So it depends on what you're looking for and what is the best for your game. Plus strapping setups can effect the weight as well, although very slightly. 

yeah i heard the warriors are crazy light lol

4 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

and the reason i was intending on just sticking with ccm was because i felt comfortable in them, the tight fit chanel is very responsive and quick,

and im more of a big guy, im like 6 ft 2 maybe 165-175 and when I go down in my butterfly in my CCM Pads i feel more comfortable than i did when i tried the vapor pads which is why i want to stay in a pad like that

i know that i could possibly do something like switch the knee blocks from the ccm into the vapors maybe, idk though

12 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

perhaps an idea towards in the end sticking to the vapors could be getting bulkier knee pads

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Another Help Me Pick My Color Scheme Thread
  • 2 weeks later...

I am torn on what pads I want to purchase as my next set. 

I have been using Eflex 2 760 leg pads, and I like them theyre just starting to break down. I like how flexible they are, and I used to dislike the flexibility but Ive gotten used to it and i really like it now. I like pads that have a good amount of flex by the below knee area with softer-style rebounds, my ccm pads are, in a way unpredictable with the rebounds, more often than not they dont "die" in front of you, but die a few feet in front of me, and im thinking of investing in a pro-level pad, ive been playing goalie for a little over a year, and ive been playing hockey since the end of 7th grade and im going into 10th grade,i didnt purchase the high end stuff out of the gate bc i wasnt positive i wanted to stick as goalie, but now ik i want to be a goalie.

I was checking out the v7 xf pro carbon, warrior g4s, eflex 3s, and lt98s. Anybody have any reccomendations?

33 minutes ago, Max27 said:

I am torn on what pads I want to purchase as my next set. 

I have been using Eflex 2 760 leg pads, and I like them theyre just starting to break down. I like how flexible they are, and I used to dislike the flexibility but Ive gotten used to it and i really like it now. I like pads that have a good amount of flex by the below knee area with softer-style rebounds, my ccm pads are, in a way unpredictable with the rebounds, more often than not they dont "die" in front of you, but die a few feet in front of me, and im thinking of investing in a pro-level pad, ive been playing goalie for a little over a year, and ive been playing hockey since the end of 7th grade and im going into 10th grade,i didnt purchase the high end stuff out of the gate bc i wasnt positive i wanted to stick as goalie, but now ik i want to be a goalie.

I was checking out the v7 xf pro carbon, warrior g4s, eflex 3s, and lt98s. Anybody have any reccomendations?

If you want to stick with the flexibility, but want rebounds to pop, the CCM Premier II is a lot more flexible than previous models, and rebounds are hot off them. Optiks have hard rebounds as well(not as hot as the Premier) and are quite flexible.

I just sold my V7 XF (non carbon) very solid first pad for me I felt. The only issue I had was twisting in the thigh rise where pucks would get under my thigh rise and stop in my knee blocks. I had the XR gloves and really liked those, the glove was probably my favorite part of the set.

Just got FLY Optiks but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

7 minutes ago, braedub90 said:

If you want to stick with the flexibility, but want rebounds to pop, the CCM Premier II is a lot more flexible than previous models, and rebounds are hot off them. Optiks have hard rebounds as well(not as hot as the Premier) and are quite flexible.

yeah i heard in a video from trav4oilers that the p2s were way softer

2 minutes ago, Kapz said:

I just sold my V7 XF (non carbon) very solid first pad for me I felt. The only issue I had was twisting in the thigh rise where pucks would get under my thigh rise and stop in my knee blocks. I had the XR gloves and really liked those, the glove was probably my favorite part of the set.

Just got FLY Optiks but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

i saw the xf have double breaks and i have a terrible five hole so i figured that the double break could help me

19 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i see youve got the gts in your pfp, ive been interested in getting gts since i began goalie, how do you like them?

I was gonna recommend GT's :) I've only worn them once on a demo, but they boot break was much softer than my G2's, and rebounds shot off them like a dream. Just my $.02....

1 minute ago, motowngoalie said:

I was gonna recommend GT's :) I've only worn them once on a demo, but they boot break was much softer than my G2's, and rebounds shot off them like a dream. Just my $.02....

how do they slide?

21 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Just wondering, if you are near the Islanders store why not some pro return gear from them ? Might save yourself some money and you already have the gloves from them.

the only leg pads they have are 36+1 (XL 1x Kristers Gudlevskis pads) and they are way too big for me. if they have anything come in in my size ill try and get that

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

i see youve got the gts in your pfp, ive been interested in getting gts since i began goalie, how do you like them?

I'm a massive fan of the gloves. I want to recommend these to everyone I know.  I don't think I'll be moving away from Warrior gloves for a long time. (unless they change the fundamentals of their designs).

Definitely approve of the leg pads. They're a very middle of the road type of flexible pad. They're no Velocity, but they're no Supreme either. You'll get a decent flex at the knee, stiff flex at the thighrise and a decent flex at the boot. I've had my pads since release and the boot is still a bit stiffer than a brand new Premier 2. (seriously, those felt soft).

The GT was what I was looking for at the time of my upgrade. I was coming from a buttery soft set of V4's and I wanted something with some torsional flex, decent flex at the boot and stiff upper thighrise. Kind of sounds like an Eflex right? :P

Archived