Torn on next set

Max27

Hello,

I am currently using vaughn v7 gloves, and ccm eflex 2 leg pads. I love the gloves, but I think the leg pads are just way too soft. I tried 1x pads but i didnt like the way they felt, 

anyone know a pad that is in the middle from a hybrid pad and a butterfly pad? like a ¨happy medium¨ so to speak? I heard the v7 xr is a medium of butterfly and hybrid, so i think they could be an option.

Thanks! 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

If you still like the feel of Vaughn but want more of a butterfly style I’d recommend the XR, the LT98 or the SLR.

yeah ive found i play more of a butterfly then a hybrid, so i wont keep using eflex pads. i checked out the xr and it said they are a mid of a butterfly and hybrid. 

i havent worn vaughn before, thats the only issue- i dont wanna buy pads and not like them lol

13 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

If you still like the feel of Vaughn but want more of a butterfly style I’d recommend the XR, the LT98 or the SLR.

I recently switched from an old pair of CCM Gatekeeper pads to Vaughn Pro V Elites. I really like the pads but sounds like they may be softer than what you’re looking for. The Ventus may be a good option, they share the same strapping as the V Elites and it’s amazing!  I’ve heard the new VE8’s are stiffer than the usual Velocity pad and they’re getting a lot of good feed back. Brian’s Optik may work for you too, they  come in 2 different flex options. 

As I learned when buying pads, don’t over think it! Try lots of sets on and stick with what’s comfortable. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Check out the R/GT pads from Warrior, softer, slightly tapered boot, but the thighrise is stiff like a butterfly pad.

i saw the g3 pads, i like the boot flex in a pad but the torsional flex is too much for my liking, i wanna go to a stiffer pad all around

2 hours ago, Matt35 said:

I recently switched from an old pair of CCM Gatekeeper pads to Vaughn Pro V Elites. I really like the pads but sounds like they may be softer than what you’re looking for. The Ventus may be a good option, they share the same strapping as the V Elites and it’s amazing!  I’ve heard the new VE8’s are stiffer than the usual Velocity pad and they’re getting a lot of good feed back. Brian’s Optik may work for you too, they  come in 2 different flex options. 

As I learned when buying pads, don’t over think it! Try lots of sets on and stick with what’s comfortable. 

Good luck!

Thanks! I was checking out g3 pads, as theyre a lot more stiff all around 

1 hour ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I'd recommend it myself the P2 is a mix of a soft and a stiff pad.  Love mine. 

ill be sure to check them out. Thanks! I saw in trav4oilers video of him checking new gear out that he said the p2 pads are a lot softer then the p1s.

12 hours ago, Max27 said:

i havent worn vaughn before, thats the only issue- i dont wanna buy pads and not like them lol

Yes. My bad, and I wouldn’t want anyone buying pads before they try them on. With your Vaughn gloves I would assume since most Vaughn users tend to go all Vaughn that you had their pads before, anyways, good luck with your search!

3 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Yes. My bad, and I wouldn’t want anyone buying pads before they try them on. With your Vaughn gloves I would assume since most Vaughn users tend to go all Vaughn that you had their pads before, anyways, good luck with your search!

lol yeah if they had the matching leg pads for my Greiss vaughn gloves i wouldve bought them but they sold quick

As mentioned from above members, it sounds like the Vaughn SLRs or possibly a double break P2 would be a good option for you.  Also, it might be worth taking a look at Brian's Optik as it comes in the two different chassis options.

26 minutes ago, Lurch said:

As mentioned from above members, it sounds like the Vaughn SLRs or possibly a double break P2 would be a good option for you.  Also, it might be worth taking a look at Brian's Optik as it comes in the two different chassis options.

double inner or outer break on p2s? and i was checking the optiks with the (( FLX )) core

Depends on the amount of flexibility you want.  Obviously a double outer will be more flexible than a double inner.  So it kinda depends on which half you want to fall between a hybrid and butterfly style pad.  As you have said that your eflex are too soft, and as mentioned prior about the vast difference in softness between the P1 and P2, I'd probably suggest going with the inner break option.  But the decision ultimately is yours.

16 hours ago, Lurch said:

Depends on the amount of flexibility you want.  Obviously a double outer will be more flexible than a double inner.  So it kinda depends on which half you want to fall between a hybrid and butterfly style pad.  As you have said that your eflex are too soft, and as mentioned prior about the vast difference in softness between the P1 and P2, I'd probably suggest going with the inner break option.  But the decision ultimately is yours.

my eflex pads are single inner single outer and i find they have just too much flex, and ive found that the rebounds are like a premier, the shots dont die in front of you like some have said. when i got these at a store, the worker said they were the newer model of eflex 2s and had harder rebounds, which i like. I was checking out the P2 with the single break, as theyve made the p2s so much softer.

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Help Me Decide My Next Gear Setup
  • 2 weeks later...

if you remember i posted a few days ago about getting the vapors but i tried on the vapors and the knee landing was too stiff for me so im going to stick with ccm, but ef3s instead of ef2s.

should i go all white or the carey price color scheme?

EFlexIII-LE-Price-Sr-Pro-Goalie-Pads.jpg

ccmef3legpadswhwhwh.jpg

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:
So you didn't like the knee of one pad so you decided to go back to an entire pad you didn't like?
Do you wear knee pads?
Have you thought about a different softer stiff pad? R/GT? Ventus? Optik?
21 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I would say knee pads would be a great option if you don't already wear them. Makes the harder knee landings not noticeable. 

And I would say go with the Carey Price colour scheme. Looks awesome in my opinion.

i do wear knee pads but theyre like not bulky at all. and ive heard from many people that the vapors tend to play a lot like the supremes, and that they were very stiff. Trav4Oilers, someone who used the 1s line, said that he thought the vapors were even stiffer than the supremes.

all i disliked about the eflex 2s were the poor seal, and they were too flexble for me. They were the 760s, which are the entry level which are obviously not gonna have the quality of the pros or the senior model, and the inconsistent rebounds.some would stay close, some would boost out. I heard that the ef3s were stiffer than the ef2s, but not by a lot, and thats what i would enjoy.

I have thought about trying other soft pads, I tried the SLRs once but I wasnt a fan of the way they felt on my leg.

this is the model of knee guards i wear, you can see they arent bulky at all lol

bauer_vapor_x900_knee_pads_2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i do wear knee pads but theyre like not bulky at all. and ive heard from many people that the vapors tend to play a lot like the supremes, and that they were very stiff. Trav4Oilers, someone who used the 1s line, said that he thought the vapors were even stiffer than the supremes.

all i disliked about the eflex 2s were the poor seal, and they were too flexble for me. They were the 760s, which are the entry level which are obviously not gonna have the quality of the pros or the senior model, and the inconsistent rebounds.some would stay close, some would boost out. I heard that the ef3s were stiffer than the ef2s, but not by a lot, and thats what i would enjoy.

I have thought about trying other soft pads, I tried the SLRs once but I wasnt a fan of the way they felt on my leg.

this is the model of knee guards i wear, you can see they arent bulky at all lol

bauer_vapor_x900_knee_pads_2.jpg

Have you considered the CCM Premier's instead of the EFlex's? Even the lower-end lines should give you what you're looking for. Might not have the durability of a Pro pad, but it could help your game if that's what you're looking for. And the new Premier 2's have a stiff knee block with some softer texture on the landing gear. Best of both worlds from the looks of it. And even if you still don't like the landing, you could always upgrade your knee guards, too.

I have heard as well that the EFlex 3's are stiffer than the 2's, but after awhile they will breakdown and become soft. A Premier pad would hold up a lot longer if you're looking for something stiff with a great ice seal.

For me, I like a stiff pad but I don't mind a little flex being worked into the pad long-term. So I went with a custom set of CCM Premier 1's with no outer break with two inner breaks. Stiff, but with a nice S curve that has only looked better as time went on.

Archived