Knob colour (no, not in the "should I see a doctor?" sense)

Lucky Pucker

So I was watching the Habs screw up their home opener last night, and noticed that Campbell was playing pretty well, but also that the know on his stick was not white

image.png.43e527b0145676ea9fb575e1db424bdd.png

The current edition of the NHL Rules book states:

image.png.38c965414721fde7a8a111ba4b984f93.png

In the most extreme cases of a goalie being called out for this violation, it was a ploy to hopefully shake up the offending goalie for a brief moment. Historically, it does not seem to have had the desired effect. There are other examples of goalies with non-white tape knobs on their sticks, which sorta suggests that some are purposely flouting this rule, because nothing bad will happen if they are called on it.

So understanding the reasoning for this rule, why is it kept on the books if there is no real punishment for it? Should there even be one, or should this be re-written to say "There shall be a knob of tape  or some other protective material approved by the league, that cannot be black in colour"...? I like the different colours some of these guys use, so I'm for it.

Thoughts....?

I can't remember when, but I have seen it called within the last few years. It's probably something a lot of referees elect to ignore, and I would imagine that many of them are not even aware of the rule. I can't say I entirely blame them... these guys have a lot of things to manage and keep an eye on, and they can't be expected to be looking at the tape on goalies' sticks each and every game. 

I do think that if it's a rule, it should be enforced. I don't like when there are sports rules that nobody follows, because then when someone does apply the rule, there's controversy... "How can you call that now? Nobody calls that rule!", etc. It shouldn't be controversial for any referee to enforce something that's in the NHL rule book. Enforce it, or take it out of the rule book.

If it is a rule that they think should exist, I think a better way of handling it would be for the league to put the onus on teams' equipment managers. "Be forewarned that the NHL intends to enforce the rule about goalies taping their knobs white, and that any goalie playing with a knob that is a different color will be assessed a two-minute penalty." I know equipment managers don't tape players sticks, but I think you could be damn sure that they would approach the teams' goalies after receiving a notice like that and say "Hey guys, for the team and for my job security, you gotta tape your knobs white. Please don't make me look bad, here."

Wouldn't take more than that, really.

Campbell probably didn't get called just because it's close enough to white that it won't get confused with the puck.  I think it's just a case of trying to achieve a simple thing (don't create a situation where Refs can confuse the knob with the puck) and creating a rabbit hole of related variations.

Andersen got called for it last year (not a penalty I don't think), and the Ref taped over his blue knob with white tape.  

Overall it's a strange rule, because I can't exactly think of a recent epidemic of Refs calling more goals confusing knobs for pucks that would necessitate enforcing this.  

@bunnyman666 You would think that Boris would prefer giving the Refs any opportunity to create more scoring :P

Except that Boris does not want goals taken AWAY, which taping the goalie knob black could result in goals taken away.

I think Boris will next make it a penalty for a goalie to complain about goaltender interference. Last night, Matthew Tkachuck interfered with ol’ Jerk Alien and Jerk was screaming at the ref. Boris most likely instructed refs to NOT call goalie interference and next year, I bet Boris proposes to call penalties on goalies who ask refs for the penalty.

Remember: Boris HATES goalies with DEEP DEEP contempt and ultimately wants them HURT so they will go away and he can have his scoring orgy.   

5 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Campbell probably didn't get called just because it's close enough to white that it won't get confused with the puck.  I think it's just a case of trying to achieve a simple thing (don't create a situation where Refs can confuse the knob with the puck) and creating a rabbit hole of related variations.

Andersen got called for it last year (not a penalty I don't think), and the Ref taped over his blue knob with white tape.  

Overall it's a strange rule, because I can't exactly think of a recent epidemic of Refs calling more goals confusing knobs for pucks that would necessitate enforcing this.  

@bunnyman666 You would think that Boris would prefer giving the Refs any opportunity to create more scoring :P

they do it so they dont mistake it for a puck. say a goalie has a big knob like holtby or quick and in an in tight play their knob could get mistaken as a puck

42 minutes ago, Max27 said:

they do it so they dont mistake it for a puck. say a goalie has a big knob like holtby or quick and in an in tight play their knob could get mistaken as a puck

Yup - I don’t think the reason was lost on any of us here.?

What is more interesting (to me at least) is why keep the rule if offending goalies and/or teams are not actually penalized in any way?

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

What is more interesting (to me at least) is why keep the rule if offending goalies and/or teams are not actually penalized in any way?

ah gotcha. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

its like how they dont inforce that crawford uses a 28¨ paddle when the limit is 26. i dont think they really care enough tbh

Archived