Suggestions on Kenesky/Passau/JRZ

stm95

Hi Everyone,

As noted in the title I am interested in getting a custom set of gear by one of these smaller manufacturers and was looking for some helpful input. At 23, fresh out of uni with my first steady job I can now afford to get my first custom set. But with that in mind I still want to be reasonable and this is why I was looking at some of these smaller manufacturers. Anyway, i'm playing in a fairly high level mens league a couple times a week and i'm noticing my set of Simmons 996 from my midget days are quite soft and broken down.

I have been liking the look of the Kenesky stuff lately but haven't been able to find much in terms of reviews on it. Also, Passau has sparked my interest lately with the updates they have done with the bindingless pads and new leg channel that they posted to their instagram, but again I haven't heard much since they have done these updates. As for JRZ I find it hard to ignore the $1800 price tag for a full custom set. Also, what could I expect to pay (CAD) for a full custom Passau/JRZ set with a fairly basic vintage graphic.

So, if anyone had any suggestions or can comment on their experience with the process and any of these manufacturers it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I recently purchased a C/A from Passau and they were very accommodating with custom requests (some for free, some for an upcharge). However, I have not dealt with them on anything else or any of the other companies. My understanding is that Kenesky offers the most customization in terms of pad design, glove options, etc. and Passau also has many options for pads but I think only two glove break options, while JRZ only has one option for each (I guess that's why they are so cheap). I could be wrong on this, so if someone else knows better please tell us.

I had a set of legpads made by Kenesky last year — my first in almost 15 years. I was very particular about what I wanted, and I am incredibly happy with how they turned out. I knew I wanted something custom, a pretty 'old school' type of pads with lots of rolls, etc. And I wanted to be able to be very specific about colors, tapers, etc. Based on my research, Kenesky was by far the best fit for this type of work.

I worked with Mike Howard. He was a good guy — incredibly knowledgeable, and he didn't bat an eye at a single customization request, no matter how minute. His answer to every question was "Yes, I can do that." For the type of buying experience I wanted, that was perfect. He can really indulge in the details.

Placing the order took a little while, though much of that was due to me taking my time getting all the details right. Sometimes I had to do a little nudging to get a response to an email, but I think this type of thing is to be expected when you are dealing with a small business. Considering that I'd waited so long to get new pads, I wasn't too upset if I didn't get an email or a call returned within a couple days.

From what I can tell, Kenesky's picked up a bit since I bought my pads, with the chest protectors and all. I would imagine they are handling more business than usual these days (purely speculation on my part). So I can't really speak to what the process will be like. But I will attest that Kenesky can take an idea you have for a pad, no matter how unique and how detailed, and pull it off really nicely.

I ordered a set thru @Tim_TRUEHockey and have nothing but amazing things to say about their products and customer service.  I just couldn't get use to the glove set but still loved the pads.

I ordered 2 set of gloves thru @WGD Dave Wilcox prior to him moving to Kenesky.  Product was top notch.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company.  Just depends what you're looking for

saw a post the other day about this Russian label - Miklin Custom. Maybe some of the Euro/Asia based guys on here know more about them. Not dissimilar from some other custom shops mentioned, they clearly take large amounts of "inspiration" from other labels. no clue on price or availability in the states/canada but an interesting option perhaps. Especially since I had no clue they existed a few days ago.

some good pics and video on their setups on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/miklin_custom/?hl=en

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

saw a post the other day about this Russian label - Miklin Custom. Maybe some of the Euro/Asia based guys on here know more about them. Not dissimilar from some other custom shops mentioned, they clearly take large amounts of "inspiration" from other labels. no clue on price or availability in the states/canada but an interesting option perhaps. Especially since I had no clue they existed a few days ago.

some good pics and video on their setups on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/miklin_custom/?hl=en

Tomy at the GoalieCreaseNet just got a set and did an unbox on his Youtube Channel

5 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

Tommy on goalieCreasenet on youtube just unboxed and tried a set of miklin on ice. Perhaps you can ask him on his channel. 

I watched that video and I don't think he gave an exact figure, but I do recall him saying in general terms around $2000 USD.

here's my thought:  When you go custom, you get exactly what you think you want.  And then when you get it, you might be like "hmm. that doesn't feel quite right".  So whatever you go with, make sure they have some flexibility with strapping, padding, etc. to tweak it.  Because unless you are sending them something you love and saying "copy this" it's all hypothetical.

Lemme give you a f'rinstance.  I ordered a custom glove from Passau.  Very, very non-NHL spec (I think it was two inches bigger along the perimeter).  Why?  because my prior glove was 1 inch bigger and if one inch is good, two must be better, amirite?  No, no I wasn't.  I can't get used to it.  It's my own fault.  Because I was working off of a faulty assumption. Now, I'm still using it because I paid for it and it's functional, but I'm using it more like Henrik Lundqvist uses his glove.  

So, ask a gazillion questions and see what options you have for tweaking once you have it.   

Kenesky looks like it's doing great stuff and it's great to see an old name revived.  Passau does consistently amazing things.  I've had their chestys, and two glove sets and other than my own stupidity, I've loved them.  (I still love my older Passau, I just feel guilty using it.)

On 11/16/2018 at 1:16 PM, stm95 said:

Hi Everyone,

As noted in the title I am interested in getting a custom set of gear by one of these smaller manufacturers and was looking for some helpful input. At 23, fresh out of uni with my first steady job I can now afford to get my first custom set. But with that in mind I still want to be reasonable and this is why I was looking at some of these smaller manufacturers. Anyway, i'm playing in a fairly high level mens league a couple times a week and i'm noticing my set of Simmons 996 from my midget days are quite soft and broken down.

I have been liking the look of the Kenesky stuff lately but haven't been able to find much in terms of reviews on it. Also, Passau has sparked my interest lately with the updates they have done with the bindingless pads and new leg channel that they posted to their instagram, but again I haven't heard much since they have done these updates. As for JRZ I find it hard to ignore the $1800 price tag for a full custom set. Also, what could I expect to pay (CAD) for a full custom Passau/JRZ set with a fairly basic vintage graphic.

So, if anyone had any suggestions or can comment on their experience with the process and any of these manufacturers it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words and interest.  I really feel like what we do at Passau is truly unique within the market.  Instead of trying to pick a company or model that best fits your style, we make the equipment specifically for you.  You work directly with a rep from out company to determine specs that best compliment your personal playing style and preferences. As I like to say, new gear purchases are too large of decisions (financially and emotionally) to not work with a professional and get exactly what you want.  Below is a high level summary of our pricing, but some things like customized graphics cost slightly more.  We don't aim to be the cheapest - but with us more of your money is going directly into the gear (instead of league licensing fees, retailer margins, endorsement deals, etc). Please reach out to me directly with any questions.

Pads - $1,300 CAD

Trapper - $490

Blocker - $400

Tim McCarthy

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

Archived