Warrior Ritual X SR vs Pro Knee Pads

Nohtaram

On 1/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Nohtaram said:

I will try to post some pics to show the difference in front plates on both.

EDIT:

Below are photos showing the difference on how thick is front plate around the knee in Warrior Sr and Warrior PRO (not the best angle but you should get an idea how it looks).

IMG_20190102_214206.jpg

IMG_20190102_230239.jpg

Great pic! This is something I’ve been looking for. Do you find the pros too bulky?

@RichMan and @TheGoalNet If you look closely at the photo of the Pro's in @Nohtaram post, you can see 'G2' near the palm of his hand. The Pro-X is based on the G2 knee pad, but are more of an 'armor' knee guard than padding knee guard. I just picked up the Pro-X knee pads yesterday and after a thorough inspection, I am very impressed with both the amount and location of the protection, the profile, the weight, and the materials. They wrap around my thigh pretty perfectly and the knee landing is very well executed. I feel that a big part of knee pad design is protecting the internal plastics/armor from damage. This requires strategic padding on the face of and behind the armor, as well as having overlapping pieces that provide enough 'give' without sacrificing protection. The Pro-Xs appear to have this dialed in. I cannot provide any comparison with the current CCM offerings. At first blush, I believe these to be the current gold standard of off-the-shelf knee protection in most categories. 

My typically aside for your (possible) edification - I wear knee protection over a base layer (UA-style gitch) and beneath socks, using a garter, taped up like shin guard. As a result, there is no interference with the leg pad. I have always had large, muscular legs, which is a dual-edge sword and certainly nothing to brag about when shopping for a pair of jeans these days. I have been through a series of Cooper, Bauer, Vaughn, RBK, Reebok knee pads and have always been partially satisfied with at least one of the following- Design, fit, comfort, materials, construction and/or protection. I am currently using Passau (gen. 1) knee pads that are very comfortable, protective, and well-built, but there are some design elements that do not work with my anatomy or form, I guess. Unfortunately, the Passau's have broken armor, a fate which befell my previous two knee guards as well.

14 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

@RichMan and @TheGoalNet If you look closely at the photo of the Pro's in @Nohtaram post, you can see 'G2' near the palm of his hand. The Pro-X is based on the G2 knee pad, but are more of an 'armor' knee guard than padding knee guard. I just picked up the Pro-X knee pads yesterday and after a thorough inspection, I am very impressed with both the amount and location of the protection, the profile, the weight, and the materials. They wrap around my thigh pretty perfectly and the knee landing is very well executed. I feel that a big part of knee pad design is protecting the internal plastics/armor from damage. This requires strategic padding on the face of and behind the armor, as well as having overlapping pieces that provide enough 'give' without sacrificing protection. The Pro-Xs appear to have this dialed in. I cannot provide any comparison with the current CCM offerings. At first blush, I believe these to be the current gold standard of off-the-shelf knee protection in most categories. 

My typically aside for your (possible) edification - I wear knee protection over a base layer (UA-style gitch) and beneath socks, using a garter, taped up like shin guard. As a result, there is no interference with the leg pad. I have always had large, muscular legs, which is a dual-edge sword and certainly nothing to brag about when shopping for a pair of jeans these days. I have been through a series of Cooper, Bauer, Vaughn, RBK, Reebok knee pads and have always been partially satisfied with at least one of the following- Design, fit, comfort, materials, construction and/or protection. I am currently using Passau (gen. 1) knee pads that are very comfortable, protective, and well-built, but there are some design elements that do not work with my anatomy or form, I guess. Unfortunately, the Passau's have broken armor, a fate which befell my previous two knee guards as well.

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Good eye catching the "G2" near the top

4 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I’ve tried both the SR and Pro versions extensively and definitely prefer the SR. 

Pros are unnecessarily bulky IMO. Much prefer the streamlined version and I find it to be plenty protective. 

How is the landing on the SRs? Is the landing cushion the same between them? 

Can you compare the Pros to any other model you’ve worn?

Correct. My PRO's knee guards are from G2 so there might be some difference. I haven't use them yet (working on lacing tabs) but apart from bulkiness in main plate I didn't find much difference in construction. Especially in landing area. 

I used the Pro-x knee guards for the first time this evening in a game. I modified nothing about my socks or taping procedure, just replaced Passau guard with the Warriors and gave it no more thought until I hit the ice. The landing area is firm but cushioned. They didn’t shift in any direction, which is a minor revelation. One soft shot got in there with no sensation at all - not a true test. I’m sure one is around the corner. 

With regards to the fit,  I am seriously impressed. They are no more bulky feeling than anything I’ve worn prior, but that has never been an issue for me. 

21 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

The landings are virtually Identical IMO. As someone else already said, I really think the only significant difference is the bulkier shield area on the Pros. 

Compared to others: they don’t slide down and are far more flexible and way lighter than the Supremes. Brian’s is similar in weight and landing, but lacks the upper strap that hugs the thigh. When I wore optiks and SZ3s I used the Brian’s because they could Velcro in to the pad which obviated that issue (ie no sliding around). 

In terms of protection, I have a decent butterfly for my age/skill level so I rarely get hit in the knees. When I have the Warriors have done the job. 

One note: I am pretty slim, so I tracked down a pair of INT sized Warriors and they fit me perfectly. 

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

As someone who had never worn knee pads except for one game of original Koho/Reebok bulky knee pads, I find the Warrior Sr's to be very unintrusive and soft. I haven't had a single instance of discomfort wearing them and they are certainly softer than having my poor knee hit the ice or knee block like I used to.

I have both of these knee pads. I liked the Sr and wore it for 2.5 seasons. Never had issues with them sliding down. A couple months ago though, a shot got through on the inside of my knee that despite hitting the knee pad, swole up pretty bad. I switched to the Pro, and I like them even better. Didn't even notice them after one skate, and the protection feels quite a bit more substantial. No issues with them sliding around either.

11 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

The landings are virtually Identical IMO. As someone else already said, I really think the only significant difference is the bulkier shield area on the Pros. 

Compared to others: they don’t slide down and are far more flexible and way lighter than the Supremes. Brian’s is similar in weight and landing, but lacks the upper strap that hugs the thigh. When I wore optiks and SZ3s I used the Brian’s because they could Velcro in to the pad which obviated that issue (ie no sliding around). 

In terms of protection, I have a decent butterfly for my age/skill level so I rarely get hit in the knees. When I have the Warriors have done the job. 

One note: I am pretty slim, so I tracked down a pair of INT sized Warriors and they fit me perfectly. 

No Giggy-fly, disqualified from this thread. NEXT!! 😜 lolll

• 5 months later...

Archived