Floating T on gloves

Jonathon v

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

i think its just pro leagues. Trav4 played in the KJHL with one, youll prob be fine if youre not a pro

and i havent heard that ever (abt the floating t looking less open)

I wouldn't use a Junior B league as any kind of measuring stick for what's legal and what's not.

Edited by insertnamehere

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, OceanMon said:

Has anybody had experience with playing with a glove before and after floating T?  Any noticeable differences?  Recommended?

No real difference to be honest. I converted my G4 from the standard single to a floating T. If you were going to catch the puck in the pocket, it will stay in the pocket either way. I've never had pop outs if I line up the pocket with the puck.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jfu91 said:

No real difference to be honest. I converted my G4 from the standard single to a floating T. If you were going to catch the puck in the pocket, it will stay in the pocket either way. I've never had pop outs if I line up the pocket with the puck.

Thanks for the feedback!

44 minutes ago, OceanMon said:

Has anybody had experience with playing with a glove before and after floating T?  Any noticeable differences?  Recommended?

I modded an old Vaughn T3500 with a floating T.  I already loved catching with that glove, but once I added depth to the T nothing ever came out of the pocket.  There were times it was actually hard to get the puck out of the pocket (but in fairness I made it REALLY deep).

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/1/2020 at 7:37 AM, OceanMon said:

For me I did. Now I went whole hog when I had to send Paussau my 60 degree back for a few minor repairs. Initially, I ordered a double T and was very happy with it. Because of some of the commentary here, I asked them to make it a floating double T w a skate lace. I absolutely love it. You could probably catch a small planet with it.

I've been using Floating T's for a few years now. I send every new glove to Dennis at FactoryMAD for the absolute magic he puts on glove closure and part of that is a Floating T. 

The thing about a Floating T, is that it kills the puck immediately. It's not going to magically catch more pucks, but there's zero possibility that it will bounce out. The downside is that it can numb the feel of the puck in your pocket, so you might not even know if the puck is in there or not. But its biggest benefit is that it contributes to some amazing glove closure. Worth trying once if you can learn to lace it yourself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I've been using Floating T's for a few years now. I send every new glove to Dennis at FactoryMAD for the absolute magic he puts on glove closure and part of that is a Floating T. 

The thing about a Floating T, is that it kills the puck immediately. It's not going to magically catch more pucks, but there's zero possibility that it will bounce out. The downside is that it can numb the feel of the puck in your pocket, so you might not even know if the puck is in there or not. But its biggest benefit is that it contributes to some amazing glove closure. Worth trying once if you can learn to lace it yourself.

I found this video showing how to do the lace work and have a floating T. 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:32 AM, Xdave90x said:

A floating T is not illegal in any league Tim Thomas had one when he played and Micheal Houser in the AHL use FM gear if I'm not mistaken it's the deepeness of the pocket that is measured  

tim thomas did not have a floating t in his factory mad glove.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, Xdave90x said:

A floating T is not illegal in any league Tim Thomas had one when he played and Micheal Houser in the AHL use FM gear if I'm not mistaken it's the deepeness of the pocket that is measured  

Floating T in and of itself is not illegal, but it's de facto illegal. Glove manufacturers build their gloves with max pocket depth with a normal attached T, so any attempt to make it float exceeds that depth. Theoretically, I suppose you could get a glove manufacturer to make a short T and float it just enough to be in spec but that would be very odd.