Anyone make the switch?

Mike24

I've been kicking the idea of buying a full right set of gloves for a bit now. I've always caught with my left hand my whole life in baseball(played catcher) it's what's natural.  I'd say my glove hand is my best attribute as a goalie. But  As I'm getting older (36) I'm noticing more pain in my left shoulder after playing.  Also I'm naturally a right handed shot might improve my puck handling.

Has anyone done this? 

I've done it before. My thoughts were since my right hand is dominant and I can catch with both and I shoot right handed as a player the transition would be very simple and easy...

Well catching with a goalie glove was very different than catching barehanded and much harder. My stick work in my left hand was awful and basically useless. The coordination and strength of that hand made only paddle down saves useful as well as using the blocker as a blocker was next to impossible. I might have well just used 2 catching gloves.

If you want to do it go ahead, it was a funny challenge for me. But I don't think it is as easy as it sounds.

I didn't try to make the switch but I did try it once just to mess around.  Like Hills mentioned, I also catch well with my right hand(sometimes better) but when I tried a full right catcher I couldn't do shit with it.  I also shoot righty with a regular stick so I too thought I would be better with a full right goal stick.  Nope.  Couldn't do shit with that either.  It was a fun gag to try it but I would never be able to switch and play full right full time.  I suppose if I was forced to because of some kind of injury and full right is the only way to continue playing then I would surely keep with it until I got used to it.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  

I also agree with 56, get your shoulder looked at regardless!

What about playing with two blockers and a neutral stick?

Yes- I was kidding a bit. There really isn't anything to add except that trying to catch with your right hand could exacerbate your shoulder problems, being that you need a large range of motion to catch the puck. If you're already having trouble now, imagine trying to catch a shot whizzing by your right ear- are you going to try to block the shot with your head? 

Agree with Bunny. If your shoulder is forcing you to contemplate a major switch of just about everything as to how you play, you need to get it checked out by a Dr.

For your consideration on the merits: you are going to have to change your stance, your brain is wired to do everything in net orthodox, you are looking at different sticks with little choices at a store, different gloves with little choices at a store, and you will be holding the stick, putting aside catching the puck, with a different hand. Your game will have to be completely redone and at some point while you are sorting that out, some one will drill a shot from 15' out and your instinct will kick in and you take it on the least protected part of your hand.

Not trying to be a negative nancy but some righties think being a lefty is easey peasey...it aint. You might be best served just getting your shoulder checked out.

Thanks guys. I was just kicking around the idea. I went to a store Saturday tried on some full tight gear.  I'm still curious. I understand it won't be easy. But long story short Ive been under enough knives 

Bunny so your saying go Dan Blackburn? 

Yes, the gear is harder to find, however, you can also stumble into some really good deals on full-right gear.    For example, I was in a Total Hockey the other day and they had a few FR gloves for $125.   The same glove of similar quality in R hand were almost $300.   I also found a brand new Bauer glove/blocker combo at PIAS near me for $120, so I bought them.    Last summer, I found a FR Warrior stick on clearance at Goalie Monkey for $39.    The same stick in Reg was $99.     

That being said, you should get your shoulder checked out.  Shoulders are notorious for not healing without lots of rehab work.    You may not need surgery, it might just need some focused rehab exercises and/or stretches.   It sounds like you have some unfortunate experience with surgeries already, so it might be a better option anyway.  But let a Dr figure that out with you.    

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2017 at 9:51 PM, Mike24 said:

Thanks guys. I was just kicking around the idea. I went to a store Saturday tried on some full tight gear.  I'm still curious. I understand it won't be easy. But long story short Ive been under enough knives 

Bunny so your saying go Dan Blackburn? 

Full right gear can be had real cheap..I say give it a try.  It won't cost you much and you might have some fun with it.  I've thought about doing it myself at pickups and stuff just to improve my coordination and strength on both sides.  Plus I get bored easily which usually ends up in me buying more gear, switching hands might just be a way to break the monotony. 

• 2 years later...

I switched, turned out to be the best thing for me. I started full-right, tore a muscle in my stick hand.  Switched to Left, within a few games was playing decent.  A year later I was playing better than ever.  I was never a good goalie, so I was not losing any respect. ha. 

Also, used my right hand sticks for left handed play.  The curve lays almost flat, toe and heal sit on the ice.  Much easier to keep and feel that the blade is laying flat.

Yes, I am weird, I heard that about goalies, that's a big reason why I became one ;p

Archived