Replacing foam in mask

Hey all,

I have an Otny and I am looking for options to replace the foam inside.  Now let me preface this by saying this is not a knock on Otny at all.  I have an awkward shaped head and their mask fits it quite well but I just needed to add a bit of foam to take up some space.

When I received the mask it was very comfortable but still had gaps on the sides between my head and the mask.  I bought some Nash foam and cut it to match the interior space I needed to fill.  After about three years or so this foam is starting to harden.  I am wondering if there is better foam to do this job.  I have absolutely no issues with the Otny original foam.  It has not lost any sponginess and is holding up extremely well.  I do however need to replace the Nash and am wondering what my best option is out there.  

I like the EcoPro Foam kits or the Resilient kits but so far have been reluctant to purchase one. 

I also don't really feel like changing out foams every three years or so.  In essence I am looking for something that will last longer and protect better than the Nash foam I currently have installed.

I have included pictures to show the pieces I have added to make the fit better.

Thank you!

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

Foams shouldn't last longer than 3 years.  Realistically depending on how often you skate, 3 years may be stretching the impact propoerties of the foams.

Your choices are mostly limited to the traditional choices:

- Rubatex (cream foam)

- EVA

- Poron

- EcoProFoam

- Shocktec Air2Gel

@Chenner29 did a quick overview in a different thread about passing options 

27 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Foams shouldn't last longer than 3 years.  Realistically depending on how often you skate, 3 years may be stretching the impact propoerties of the foams.

Your choices are mostly limited to the traditional choices:

- Rubatex (cream foam)

- EVA

- Poron

- EcoProFoam

- Shocktec Air2Gel

@Chenner29 did a quick overview in a different thread about passing options 

Depends on the foam used.  The original foam in my Pro's Choice felt just as soft and supple in year 5 as it did on day one.  Only reason I replaced it is because he offered to do it while he had the mask for a chin repair and a new cage and harness.  Idk what Dom uses, he wouldn't tell me specifically when I asked.  I wish I still had the email so I can quote him verbatim but he said something along the lines of the foam being very expensive medical grade closed cell foam.  I play 1-2 times a week 12 month a year.  The foam never hardened.  Whatever it is it is fucking amazing.

6 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Depends on the foam used.  The original foam in my Pro's Choice felt just as soft and supple in year 5 as it did on day one.  Only reason I replaced it is because he offered to do it while he had the mask for a chin repair and a new cage and harness.  Idk what Dom uses, he wouldn't tell me specifically when I asked.  I wish I still had the email so I can quote him verbatim but he said something along the lines of the foam being very expensive medical grade closed cell foam.  I play 1-2 times a week 12 month a year.  The foam never hardened.  Whatever it is it is fucking amazing.

There's this weird thing in the mask industry where everyone is reluctant to divulge exactly what materials they are using.  It's a strange market.

I wish he could get the Croc's foam again, that stuff was the best.

@Ken35 - what I have seen people do is attach their Maltese or Eco padding (or whatever other padding they want to use) to their mask with Velcro/hook&loop.

This makes cleaning/replacing much easier, although it does alter the fit a smidge.

Your Nash Rubatex is seeing more use than the stock Otny Rubatex (in your cheeks, probably the highest traffic sweat area), that's why the OEM padding is still in good shape.

@Ken35 I end up using a fit kit to supplement stock padding as well. I wouldn't say I have an odd shaped head or anything... just that most masks and stock foams are made to fit X% of heads out there and mine is slightly different. I have a universal Maltese kit in my daily now and it came with additional material for this exact purpose.

That said, I'd echo @ruckus007 and say contact Otny/Goalieparts.com to see if you can get a die cut kit instead of a universal. Die cut is always my preference... but having a Wall getting die cut is harder to come by.

Thanks all!

This really helps.  I have been a fan of Maltese since my original collar way back in 2005, I think that's when I got it.  Might have to try the Eco Pro and see how I feel about it.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:55 PM, Chenner29 said:

There's this weird thing in the mask industry where everyone is reluctant to divulge exactly what materials they are using.  It's a strange market.

@Ken35 - what I have seen people do is attach their Maltese or Eco padding (or whatever other padding they want to use) to their mask with Velcro/hook&loop.

This makes cleaning/replacing much easier, although it does alter the fit a smidge.

Your Nash Rubatex is seeing more use than the stock Otny Rubatex (in your cheeks, probably the highest traffic sweat area), that's why the OEM padding is still in good shape.

Like this? :)

IMG-20180923-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180923-WA0003.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 12:55 AM, Chenner29 said:

I've never seen the croc foam but I have heard good things about it.  

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2019 at 1:14 AM, ruckus007 said:

Like this? :)

IMG-20180923-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180923-WA0003.jpg

Ruckus - this looks like a Maltese kit in a 960XPM. Is that correct? Is it a die-cut foam kit specific to this mask? I am currently refurbishing a 960XPM and trying to find an appropriate die-cut foam kit. So far most of them refer to older versions of the 960/961 (EcoProFoam, Resilient, New Image, etc). Appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, PhilTheGoalie said:

Ruckus - this looks like a Maltese kit in a 960XPM. Is that correct? Is it a die-cut foam kit specific to this mask? I am currently refurbishing a 960XPM and trying to find an appropriate die-cut foam kit. So far most of them refer to older versions of the 960/961 (EcoProFoam, Resilient, New Image, etc). Appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!

Just a guess here as I'm a third party - GoalieParts had some pre-cut Maltese kits on closeout a few months ago made for the OTNY CC (which is their 961/9601 clone).  I'm guessing that this is what @ruckus007 is using.

You should be able to purchase a pre-cut CC EcoPro kit by itself.

Thanks - I emailed Dennis at Goalie Parts and he says that there is a 960XPM EcoPro kit in the works, likely available within the next couple of weeks. Would be nice if it was mechanically fastened like the OEM, but I suspect it will relay on adhesive.

To the OP, that is a lot of foam you have in there.  I recently replaced my old foam with the Eco Pro stuff and I really like how it turned out.  But with that said, I do not think that the replacement kit will have the same amount of material that you currently have in your helmet.  The kit I got via Goalieparts, does come with as assortment of thicker and thinner pieces, mostly rectangular in shape aside from the forehead and backplate pieces.  If you need that much material to get a comfortable fit, you may want to inquire about getting additional padding somehow.

Somewhat unrelated question, as I am kinda new to this goalie thing.  What is the purpose of the skate lace in the mask earhole?  Mask I bought used from a guy had similar piece there and I cannot figure out what it is meant to be doing.  Just curious.  

Oops, did not realize that this post was from quite some time ago originally.  

I revived an old thread...

Those skate laces are likely attachments for a dangler.

I also received an update from Resilient Goalie last night. They have a kits cut for the 960XPM, but haven't listed them on the site yet. Covers all of the different foam options that they offer.

5 hours ago, TDS-MN said:

To the OP, that is a lot of foam you have in there.  I recently replaced my old foam with the Eco Pro stuff and I really like how it turned out.  But with that said, I do not think that the replacement kit will have the same amount of material that you currently have in your helmet.  The kit I got via Goalieparts, does come with as assortment of thicker and thinner pieces, mostly rectangular in shape aside from the forehead and backplate pieces.  If you need that much material to get a comfortable fit, you may want to inquire about getting additional padding somehow.

Somewhat unrelated question, as I am kinda new to this goalie thing.  What is the purpose of the skate lace in the mask earhole?  Mask I bought used from a guy had similar piece there and I cannot figure out what it is meant to be doing.  Just curious.  

Oops, did not realize that this post was from quite some time ago originally.  

I have attached a pic to show why there is skate lace through the ear holes.

I am very aware that there is a lot of material.  That is why I was posting on here asking for suggestions.  Apparently my head is not conducive to goalie mask shell shape.

IMG_2346.JPG

I feel your pain! I have a medium-size crown, but high and wide cheek bones. I find it very difficult to fit most masks. I've been wearing a VM9500, which fits well. The 960XPM is a decent fit, and I think with thinner foam in the cheeks it will fit quite well. I also have a Pro3i in progress with Sportmask, which is very nice and with thin cheek foam seems like it should fit well.

Love the Potvin scheme!

So you are still looking to take this project on?  Do you feel that you need to replace all of it, or would just the pieces where you make contact?  I left the ear-area pieces alone but replaced the forehead and top of head and cheek pieces.  Maybe my fit is different enough that allowed that, because I don't believe that my head really touches those side panels much.  Like you could leave the layer attached to the mask, yet replace the next layer you added?  Id' bet there is enough in the 'stock' Eco Foam kit to do that.  Comes with an assortment of stuff like 1/4" thick and some at 1/8" thick.

And thanks for the answer on the skate lace.  I hung my dangler off the rear corner of my cage, and that seems to put it where I wanted it to be, but seeing a picture now it makes sense.

Yeah.  I was thinking about doing something similar to that but just have not gotten around to it.  (Plus funds have been tight)

Tried the cage corners for the dangler at one point but never liked it.  It always felt like the dangler was miles away from my throat and not really protecting anything.  But that was just my experience.

Hi! I have a Cubberly mask made for my head. I need new foam put in, new hardware and cage. The cateye I have was made for the mask. I contacted Ed but he hasn't responded, probably because hes a nurse and busy with virus stuff. Does anyone know who I can contact to get my mask cleaned up and a new cage put on it?? I want to get back on the ice but the mask I feel is questionably safe. Thanks in advance!!!

52 minutes ago, Rubberband said:

Hi! I have a Cubberly mask made for my head. I need new foam put in, new hardware and cage. The cateye I have was made for the mask. I contacted Ed but he hasn't responded, probably because hes a nurse and busy with virus stuff. Does anyone know who I can contact to get my mask cleaned up and a new cage put on it?? I want to get back on the ice but the mask I feel is questionably safe. Thanks in advance!!!

This can be done yourself if you have the cage and foam on hand. If not contact Ray at New Image and he can take care of you.

I haven't worn a dangler in about 25 years because it always bothered me, flopping around. But I recently found this older article from InGoalMag that suggests attaching to the bottom of the dangler in the middle and running that lace/cord up the inside of the mask to keep it from flying up and out into the field of view. It looks compelling.

https://ingoalmag.com/news/tech-tips-that-danged-dangler-is-hurting-your-game/

Archived