Stanley Cup Contest - Win a Hat

TheGoalNet

TheGoalNet.com 's Stanley Cup Contest! Win a hat from LSGC goaltending or T from Vintage Goalie - To Register: Follow TheGoalNet.com on Instagram, Be a Member at TheGoalNet.com, and...

post the winner, number of games, and the Conn Smyth Winner

The first person to correctly post this will win! 

Lol, a fair point, bunny. Not a question of love for the 'holes as much as it is a significant dislike of an excellent but otherwise unlikeable team. Rinne is great and should win the Conn but I just don't like the rest of them. Pens don't suck; injuries are a problem and Kessel is a donut hog but the team can play and he's a goal scorer. All trash talking aside, this could be a really excellent Finals. Both teams had to go through hell to get there.

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Lol, a fair point, bunny. Not a question of love for the 'holes as much as it is a significant dislike of an excellent but otherwise unlikeable team. Rinne is great and should win the Conn but I just don't like the rest of them. Pens don't suck; injuries are a problem and Kessel is a donut hog but the team can play and he's a goal scorer. All trash talking aside, this could be a really excellent Finals. Both teams hard to go through hell to get there.

The " 'holes' " LOL!!!

That's why I love you,mate! You DESERVE the hat JUST for that!!!!

LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!

I really think we might be looking at a Hextall deal for the Conn. If Rinne can settle down (last night was just a garbage game for him), I think he wins it even if The 'Holes (nice job Bunny! you started it, lol) win the Grail.

Agreed and hate to say it about him; the Pens have found something on him and they have the shooters to put it near his ears. They've also exposed him on that cock-a-mammie "overload" nonsense someone drilled into his head. Keep an eye on his left skate. A lot of times when he sets up as the shooter comes in on his left, he has his left skate outside his left post. I don't think it is because he's lost his net. Some coach "expert" had an article about that approach in Ingoal Magazine some time ago. I don't know. He's great, I like him, he plays very hard but why is a 6'18" or whatever he is goalie getting beat up high and why is he putting his left skate outside the left post? Instead of going with technical theory, how about just playing it straight and stopping the shot? As an old fart, I think sometimes the so-called goalie experts are too cute by half. But hey, they've got to create an income somehow.

It is amazing how a goalie so tall can be beaten up high. However Rinne does have a history of sitting down in his butterfly. Those of us sub-six footers know we have to be as upright as possible when down on our knees in the butterfly. Maybe he's taken for granted his size and only now it's costing him. And I agree, with all the advancement in goaltending theory and methods, sometimes these coaches and their goalies are too slavish to some new technique. I'd like it more if some of these guys were a little more creative in terms of trying every technique and method out and determining for THEMSELVES what works for them. Then discard the rest. And stand up to their goalie coaches if they don't agree with something. At least discuss it openly. 

On the other hand, Nashville looked like they forgot how to hockey in that third period. So maybe it was more about their awful play as a TEAM that caused the loss. 

He definitely has a tendency to turtle and get small on high shots, he ducks his head and throws his hands up.  I wonder if Shea Weber didn't ruin the poor guy by ringing his bell in practice a few times over the years. 

By comparison, what impressed me more than anything about Andersen against the Pens in the last series was how many saves he made on his feet.  Made a lot of big saves by not dropping and spreading out on every shot.

Nashville is looking like a tired team too, especially when it gets to the 3rd.  We'll see if their own building energizes them at all.  The entire playoffs all you heard is how the Pens are being dominated, yet they keep winning.  An old fighters strategy was to let the other guy punch himself out in the early rounds and then beat him at the end when he had nothing left. I wonder if the Pens aren't playing a similar game.  They let the other team throw everything they have at them until they run out of gas and then they start throwing knockout punches.

Excellent points fellas. The loss is not on Rinne and he isn't going to carry the world every night. I think Nash, being in the Finals for the first time, is finding that the 'Holes (thanks Bunny :)) have been there before, don't panic, and very highly skilled team. Unlike the Blues and Ducks (let's pass on the Hawks for the moment), the Pens aren't going to fold up when the pressure is on them and will find a way to push back. The series, however, isn't over yet. Just never know until they play.

7 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

...And I agree, with all the advancement in goaltending theory and methods, sometimes these coaches and their goalies are too slavish to some new technique. I'd like it more if some of these guys were a little more creative in terms of trying every technique and method out and determining for THEMSELVES what works for them. Then discard the rest. And stand up to their goalie coaches if they don't agree with something. At least discuss it openly....

That is the point - what works for them. Too often goalies follow sheepishly what their idol does - especially young goalies (note this will wear off as you age). The most frequent one being dropping on everything. The point made by Jayluv54 is well taken it was a refreshing change to see Anderson stand up on a number of those shots.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact you can drop when you feel it is appropriate without 6 people criticizing you or telling you how wrong it is (as it was back in the day). You're the goalie in the specific situation - you know best. But it's crazy when I see a goalie my height (67+") dropping on a lobbed glove side shot from the point only to catch it 3 feet off the ice while stretching out to the max, when it was a simple wrist-cock to catch if you stayed up (but I guess the stretching save looks cooler).

Like any other craft, proper goaltending means using the right tool, the right way at the right time.

15 hours ago, Fullright said:

Excellent points fellas. The loss is not on Rinne and he isn't going to carry the world every night. I think Nash, being in the Finals for the first time, is finding that the 'Holes (thanks Bunny :)) have been there before, don't panic, and very highly skilled team. Unlike the Blues and Ducks (let's pass on the Hawks for the moment), the Pens aren't going to fold up when the pressure is on them and will find a way to push back. The series, however, isn't over yet. Just never know until they play.

I think the Ducks were the better team last round personally, but were a victim themselves of bad goaltending.  Your goalie is the most important player in the playoffs and I think the biggest aspect is the team being confident that their goalie is going to make that big save when they need it.  That's the main reason Murray replaced Fleury last series.  As Fleury started to get a little shaky in net, so did the entire team and I think the coaching staff quickly recognized that.  I think Nashville's biggest weakness at this point will be a lack of confidence in their goalie, whether they admit it or not.  Nashville also puts a lot of pressure on Rinne by relying on their D for offense, something the Pens are very good at exploiting and bringing odd man rushes the other way like they did against Washington.  

This is the fresh goalie conundrum.  Murray is clearly a good goalie, and he's had over a month off.  Now he's rested and playing with lots of energy.  Same as Fleury did when Murray went down, and Anderson did after coming back from being off.  Nashville has the horses, but they're going to have to be in Murray's kitchen constantly.

I would love to think that the Pretendators will pull it out. I want them to win BADLY, as I HATE Sindey Crosby and his "goalies need less equipment and be mandated to be shorter" drivel. Somebody needs to shut him up. But I think the Dirty Birds will be a repeat winner, sadly enough. 

Archived