2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TitanG said:

Looks like Lundqvist is going back to the old style 961 cage? Or maybe he doesn't care as much about cage styles as I do and just uses what's on hand...

I amazed you notice this, but it's hard to tell

Assuming the old masks are forward compatible, I wouldn't be surprised if many  EQMs or mask painters just use old stock? Also wouldn't be shocking if guys wanted to stick the sightlines they're used to

58 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a new one to me, you might be right.

To my knowledge, it's two shell sizes and then custom padding. 

Pretty sick deal if you think about it!

IMG_8200.JPG.93ff5368772f54274183a923c6d79b18.JPG

Here's Oettinger in an XPM with BU paint. This is interesting because he was in a Pro's Choice before and people never come out of those. 

According to the kid at Sweet Goalie Pads / Lets Talk Tendy gear, who is a customer and local to Pro's Choice, Jake was showered with Bauer shell choices until he found one that worked for him to convert 

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SaveByRichter35 @Chenner29 - This is the mask that I believe is NOT custom made, it's just custom padded. It's $1000 instead of $1800

http://progoaliemask.com/vaughn-vm-pro-mask/

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a new one to me, you might be right.

It says "custom pro styling" which leads me to believe that it is not custom built.

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I amazed you notice this, but it's hard to tell

Assuming the old masks are forward compatible, I wouldn't be surprised if many  EQMs or mask painters just use old stock? Also wouldn't be shocking if guys wanted to stick the sightlines they're used to

I would guess that the cages are (for the most part) interchangeable and since he IS King Henry, he can get whatever he wants including a mask that looks like the new model, but accomodates the old cage. Equipment managers stock up on whatever a particular player prefers, such as having enough old school CCM HT-2 helmets for certain players (still trying to get my hands on one with the current CCM logo; yes- they DO exist) as the older players like what they like. 

The paint? Ugh. I don't hate it like some that Dave Art has done. Dave Art is very talented and would love to see a less busy version.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

It says "custom pro styling" which leads me to believe that it is not custom built.

According to Dom himself, all of his masks are custom molded.  Going by the description of this new "Pro Styled" mask, it looks like he doesn't use the same top of the line materials as his pro masks.  It also says these are compression molded as opposed to the pro masks being hand molded.  That could be the difference between the two prices.  However, the part where he lists different mask sizes does suggest to me that these aren't custom molds.  He's a busy man so I am not bothering him to ask the same question  again.  Someone else can do that.  Even if it is just padded to fit I would wear that over any Bauer or CCM mask every time.

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

According to Dom himself, all of his masks are custom molded.  Going by the description of this new "Pro Styled" mask, it looks like he doesn't use the same top of the line materials as his pro masks.  It also says these are compression molded as opposed to the pro masks being hand molded.  That could be the difference between the two prices.  However, the part where he lists different mask sizes does suggest to me that these aren't custom molds.  He's a busy man so I am not bothering him to ask the same question  again.  Someone else can do that.  Even if it is just padded to fit I would wear that over any Bauer or CCM mask every time.

The non-pro CCM and Bauer masques are garbage. They have "mystery meat" construction and are generally cheapo masques for what they charge. 

Production sizes and lesser materials would certainly reduce prices. The custom padding adds just enough personal touch to make it customised enough for many customers.

I may try a Pro's choice when I am a bit more flush. I am with you- I would rather wear a "low end" Pro's Choice than a so-called "high end" retail Bauer or CCM. 

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

The non-pro CCM and Bauer masques are garbage. They have "mystery meat" construction and are generally cheapo masques for what they charge. 

I may try a Pro's choice when I am a bit more flush. I am with you- I would rather wear a "low end" Pro's Choice than a so-called "high end" retail Bauer or CCM. 

For the money you're going to spend you cannot beat that Protechsport you have on the way, those are great masks.  Since Cubberly is now retired from mask building, Protechsport is probably the only other mask I would wear.  Warwick too.  

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

For the money you're going to spend you cannot beat that Protechsport you have on the way, those are great masks.  Since Cubberly is now retired from mask building, Protechsport is probably the only other mask I would wear.  Warwick too.  

I feel good about my purchase. Shawn Schroeder even gave me his blessing to use Protechsport when I found that he is shelved for awhile for building masques. 

What people don't realise is that composites can lead to turd polishing, as you can hide a LOT of iniquities under an epoxy coat and a shiny paintjob. 

On 8/5/2017 at 11:17 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I feel good about my purchase. Shawn Schroeder even gave me his blessing to use Protechsport when I found that he is shelved for awhile for building masques. 

What people don't realise is that composites can lead to turd polishing, as you can hide a LOT of iniquities under an epoxy coat and a shiny paintjob. 

That's why I don't trust off the shelf mass produced masks.  Pads, gloves, skates...whatever.  A mask though, I will not cheap out on.  I like my brain lol.

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's why I don't trust off the shelf mass produced masks.  Pads, gloves, skates...whatever.  A mask though, I will not cheap out on.  I like my brain lol.

I'd rather cheap out anywhere other than my head or my feet. That being said- a senior CA is ALSO something I would NOT buy. Can you say HEAVY BRUISING?

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

I'd rather cheap out anywhere other than my head or my feet. That being said- a senior CA is ALSO something I would NOT buy. Can you say HEAVY BRUISING?

Agreed, a c/a is something I won't skimp on either but there are plenty of good off the shelf c/a out there.  A mask I wouldn't trust though.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:16 AM, bunnyman666 said:

@SaveByRichter35 - one of the people who follows the IG account claims to be Don's assistant and I have no reason to doubt him. He's usually got good info

He said the VM model is the only one that's not a full custom and that's why two sizes are listed on the website. Based on the price point, it would make sense too. It would be a model to compete with Warwick, Protechsport, etc 

With that said, I would agree this isn't too clear. Can someone buy one and end this debate? 

31 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SaveByRichter35 - one of the people who follows the IG account claims to be Don's assistant and I have no reason to doubt him. He's usually got good info

He said the VM model is the only one that's not a full custom and that's why two sizes are listed on the website. Based on the price point, it would make sense too. It would be a model to compete with Warwick, Protechsport, etc 

With that said, I would agree this isn't too clear. Can someone buy one and end this debate? 

While I definitely agree the description on the webpage sounds like this is the case, and I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'll take the word from Dom himself over some guy on IG who claims to be an assistant.  I had this conversation with Dom before I knew about this new mask or else I would have asked him to clarify on this one as well.  By all means send him an email and ask him to confirm this new mask.

Archived