2017-2018 NHL Gear Sitings

TheGoalNet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These Optik are seriously becoming the top contendors for my Bulldogs red/white/blue set after the new year.

Unless CCM really steps up their game with the Premier, I think I'd be happy with the Optik. I wanted to try SLR but I can't get a demo set from Vaughn.

2 hours ago, Hills said:

These Optik are seriously becoming the top contendors for my Bulldogs red/white/blue set after the new year.

Unless CCM really steps up their game with the Premier, I think I'd be happy with the Optik. I wanted to try SLR but I can't get a demo set from Vaughn.

I think Brian's and Bauer's are pushing the innovation right now

Vaughn is conservative, but the SLR seemed like a nice step forward 

IMO, CCM is falling way behind. They don't have a lot of innovation lately and are playing catch up with strapping, weight, and materials. If they loose Price... I think CCM could drop like a ballon. 

With that said... I heard Premier is done after P2 because it's been around for 15 years and they need to start fresh. It's either EF4 or the pad after that where they attempt to merge the lines and start fresh. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

IMO, CCM is falling way behind. They don't have a lot of innovation lately and are playing catch up with strapping, weight, and materials. If they loose Price... I think CCM could drop like a ballon. 

With that said... I heard Premier is done after P2 because it's been around for 15 years and they need to start fresh. It's either EF4 or the pad after that where they attempt to merge the lines and start fresh. 

What? Luongo, Crawford, and Fleury not enough without him???

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

What? Luongo, Crawford, and Fleury not enough without him???

Those three guys combined don't bring in half the business Price does. Price is the golden ticket for advertising right now.

Though I seriously doubt the Eflex line will fail without him. There is a decently large sized following of goalies in the show wearing Eflex and we all know how much creatures of habit some goalies can be.

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Those three guys combined don't bring in half the business Price does. Price is the golden ticket for advertising right now.

Yep that was my point (my comment was sarcastic). CCM would be in deep trouble for the foreseeable future on the goalie side without Price.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Where would you place Warrior? just behind those two giants?

It's too bad the marketing for Warrior isn't seen breaking too much ground. I did like how Brians went after the college and junior kids to get them into their pads early so that when they get to the show, it's all they want to use. Look at the increase in Brians pad usage in the NHL now. I don't remember seeing so much before,

37 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Where would you place Warrior? just behind those two giants?

It's too bad the marketing for Warrior isn't seen breaking too much ground. I did like how Brians went after the college and junior kids to get them into their pads early so that when they get to the show, it's all they want to use. Look at the increase in Brians pad usage in the NHL now. I don't remember seeing so much before,

Takes one guy to show others how good the stuff is and if a few convert they do the same and so on so forth.

18 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

So my oldest is 11. He plays net. He makes fun of Vaughn stuff saying it's ancient. CCM was cool. I think it's lost it's luster with them as they mostly just make all white gear. Brian's has that cool name, sharp logos and nice stuff thing going with the other kid goalies. The Bauer Supreme line is tops for them too. The flat face with the modern print on the front. Only draw is that they make so much beginner stuff that the Mites use. So they have to separate the real stuff (Supreme) from the junk the kids pull out of the rink bin of gear.

Anything other than a flat faced pad is a dinosaur to anyone under 20.

I don't know where most of the sales for these companies comes from - over/ under 20 year olds? But I know myself, as a dad, I buy way more gear for my kids than I do for myself.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

So my oldest is 11. He plays net. He makes fun of Vaughn stuff saying it's ancient. CCM was cool. I think it's lost it's luster with them as they mostly just make all white gear. Brian's has that cool name, sharp logos and nice stuff thing going with the other kid goalies. The Bauer Supreme line is tops for them too. The flat face with the modern print on the front. Only draw is that they make so much beginner stuff that the Mites use. So they have to separate the real stuff (Supreme) from the junk the kids pull out of the rink bin of gear.

Anything other than a flat faced pad is a dinosaur to anyone under 20.

I don't know where most of the sales for these companies comes from - over/ under 20 year olds? But I know myself, as a dad, I buy way more gear for my kids than I do for myself.

I agree with your assessment from an empirical sense. 

However, everyone  I have asked at retail says CCM is top in Sales. I think that's a lot legacy selling off the same. I think your insight on the kids is correct and that if CCM doesn't do something different, they will slowly vanish. The Carey Price factory is a big help to them.

1 hour ago, 1C5 said:

I would have thought Murray would have helped Vaughn more than it has. I guess if he keeps winning it will only help more...

1C5 actually Murray can win all the cups he wants but dealing with Vaughn is hell!

Stores dont like ordering through them - high MOQ

Lead times - I was seriously looking at their Ventus line Pad combo + CA was quoted 16 weeks

No inventory in any stores due to point # 1

Goalies in the NHL can wear all their stuff but if you cant find it at the retail level it will not help them grow!

Finally - they are behind the times in most of their lines except Ventus

Crazy that Vaughn and Bauer gear is pretty close in cost yet the Vaughn designs are way more labor intensive as opposed to screening the graphics on like Bauer.

I thought by now Brian's would sell some screened graphic gear. 

39 minutes ago, MTH said:

I thought by now Brian's would sell some screened graphic gear. 

Oh I'm sure they've already been looking into the technology. It would be dumb for the custom goalie company to not pursue that avenue. 

Those things also take time. I'm sure they were already in the midst of the R&D for the Optik line being the top priority.

Archived