Best way to test sticks

Weyrich 41

Hey everyone! There's currently a sale at Pro Hockey Life, buy one goalie stick get the 2nd half off, and I wanted try out a new brand and size.

But I can't decide if it would be better to:

A) buy a brand and size that I know I like, just to be safe, and buy a 2nd stick that is a different brand and different size

Or

B) buy the familiar brand in a different size and the new brand in a familiar size

its not really a sale per se, that are just allowed to discount online due to next years product line coming out, every other company has the same price discount u just have to look or a fake promo code or discount off a fake mfg price throwing it down to some x% which in reality the MAP was already xx% of mfg suggested retail price.

find the stick u like and get it duplicated . stop wasting money thats how its done. curve it, shave it, heat it and send it in.

Really your call on this one.   Are you contemplating trying a new curve on top of everything else?  Will one be foam core and the other composite?   Really there are a lot of variables beyond brand and length to consider.

Personally I'd probably make sure I had one twig I could count on as opposed to buying two sticks I wasn't sure I'd like. 

Is there a reason you feel compelled to try a new stick? 

Do you think a new curve will help with what? Do you think your stick is too tall or short? 

Some more info might help here. Generally, I don’t suggest a change if everything is working well and you’re happy with your set up 

I've never really experimented with sticks, I've had my current Bauer Reactor stick for a few years now and when I bought it I just kinda grabbed it, moves with it a bit and said "seems right". It's a 26½" and sometimes I wonder if a 25" might be better for my lower stance.

I don't really play the puck much, so I'm not too worried about changing curves.

The sticks I'm looking at are Bauer Vapor 2.9 and CCM Premier 2.9 (Price)

4 hours ago, Weyrich 41 said:

I've never really experimented with sticks, I've had my current Bauer Reactor stick for a few years now and when I bought it I just kinda grabbed it, moves with it a bit and said "seems right". It's a 26½" and sometimes I wonder if a 25" might be better for my lower stance.

I don't really play the puck much, so I'm not too worried about changing curves.

A few things to consider: 

Are you looking at composites or foam cores? 

I am 99% sure most of the foam cores on the market across brands are made by the same one or two factories, so they will mostly feel the same.

Stock blade patterns for retail sticks are pretty much drawn from the same pool. 

Composites will have the most variance between brands. Grip, flex, and rebounds will be things to take into consideration. 

Bring your current stick with you. Paddle sizes may change not only from brand to brand, but also through model year. 

10 hours ago, Weyrich 41 said:

If you want to go smaller and you have a stick that is going to be wasted, why don’t you try cutting that down, getting on the ice, and seeing how it feels. 

That way you can take a little try run before you drop money on something you may not like 

On the subject of a shorter paddle- it does force you into a lower stance; you do have trouble keeping your stick on the ice when you get tired and fatigued. This is just something to think about @Weyrich 41. I have had my stick off of the ice when gassed, letting in stupid goals. Even half an inch can make a difference. YMMV

@TheGoalNet is bang on with cutting down one of your current sticks. I tend to buy taller just so I can shape my paddles. I have bought 3” taller just to be able to try different shapes. If the label getting messed up bothers me, I throw a coat of paint on the paddle to cover the messed up label if it looks too weird. Of course I have made my own labels, as well...

Archived