Custom footbeds - something to consider ??

While getting my sons skates sharpened yesterday I browsed around the shop and came across custom molded footbeds!

The owner told me she swears by them - does anyone use this type of footbed ?

This is still relatively expensive $150 ++ plus taxes so I would like some feedback - thanks

Which model were you looking at? 

It depends on your foot. Some people don't need them, some need arch support, some need heel stability. Superfeet are fine for heel stability. Bauer speed plates like @cwarnar linked too (or I think CCM has a similar product) are good for arch support but have not been designed for goalie skates specifically. 

I use and swear by the speed plates, I have custom orthotics for everyday use so they help keep my arches from flattening out and corrected some pain I was having even in my custom skates. But take note that the attention those got on these forums actually prompted Bauer to reach out to TGN to clarify that their volume was not specifically designed for goal skates so YMMV. 

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

While getting my sons skates sharpened yesterday I browsed around the shop and came across custom molded footbeds!

The owner told me she swears by them - does anyone use this type of footbed ?

This is still relatively expensive $150 ++ plus taxes so I would like some feedback - thanks

100% support the concept of custom arches. But $150 for custom molded is a joke.

Although Bauer does not fully support Speed Plates for goalies, i have had great experiences with them. I have the CCM's one coming and will try those in my FT2 skates. Lastly, 3D printed insoles are popping up for runners and golfers. Hopefully they come to hockey soon too. If that happens, it's superior technology to the old fashion molding and should be $150 or less I think

3 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

It depends on your foot. Some people don't need them, some need arch support, some need heel stability. Superfeet are fine for heel stability. Bauer speed plates like @cwarnar linked too (or I think CCM has a similar product) are good for arch support but have not been designed for goalie skates specifically. 

I use and swear by the speed plates, I have custom orthotics for everyday use so they help keep my arches from flattening out and corrected some pain I was having even in my custom skates. But take note that the attention those got on these forums actually prompted Bauer to reach out to TGN to clarify that their volume was not specifically designed for goal skates so YMMV. 

Probably the Graf/Sidas.  It does require a bit of work on the side of the shop employee - the tech is about 10 years old.

IMO Speedplates are cheaper, faster, and pretty much just as effective.

6 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

My son has this yeas 2s Pro - the insoles cwarmar referenced above look like the ones that came with the skates? I don’t remember why but my s9n installed his old Superfeet quickly into his new skates !

Chenner Graf/Sidas are in fact the insoles I saw - I was originally looking at a pair that seemed closer to the Superfeet but I found them to be too soft these where off the shelf units.

i then brought up a question about a concern my son had about his skates that might require some fitting and ended talking about footbeds again and a custom Graf/Sidas was brought too my attention ! 

Will discuss with my son - he certainly has not complained about the comfort of his skates so this might end up being all for nothing but will review with him when we go for an adjustment to his skate

12 minutes ago, Big2 said:

My son has this yeas 2s Pro - the insoles cwarmar referenced above look like the ones that came with the skates?

I have the 2S Pros too, the speed plates at that link are definitely more substantial than the stock liners. 

Like you said though, if there isn't a comfort issue for your son, then no reason to fix something that ain't broke

22 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I have the 2S Pros too, the speed plates at that link are definitely more substantial than the stock liners. 

Like you said though, if there isn't a comfort issue for your son, then no reason to fix something that ain't broke

Fair, but I never knew I had high arches and never had pain. Now that I know and have better arch support, I’m more comfortable. There’s an ignorance is bliss sort of thing for people like me. 

@Big2 - Check out a company called “Aetrex insoles”. They should pop right up on google. They have very good foot scanning technology. Visit a running store or someplace that has their scanner and get your sons foot scanned. If their scanner recommends a special insole, then I’d consider something special for his skates 

42 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

There’s an ignorance is bliss sort of thing for people like me

Also a fair point. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is probably a little stronger than I really meant haha. 

30 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Also a fair point. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is probably a little stronger than I really meant haha. 

Haha, I owe it to you and learning a bit more about my feet. After I got a foot scan and learned I had high arches, I took your advise on speed plates and never looked back 

Archived