Jump to content

The Old Man Thread


bunnyman666

Recommended Posts

Saw the surgeon yesterday. Consistent with his intergalatic ego, he's pleased with his work and my leg. SOB put me through it yesterday. Had me doing one legged skips in the hallway of his office. Not so great on the left leg. The loss of strength in the quad and glut is the big problem together with descent of stairs and swelling at the end of the work day. So added more exercises and a stretch to the ones I already do to free up the glut and iliotibial band at the hip and knee. Bottom line: for ordinary people, doing well and ahead of the curve. If you saw me on the street, you wouldnt know I had my quad reattached. For what we do, I am looking at the fall. I just dont have any spring yet in the leg. :(

I am trying hard. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Fullright said:

Saw the surgeon yesterday. Consistent with his intergalatic ego, he's pleased with his work and my leg. SOB put me through it yesterday. Had me doing one legged skips in the hallway of his office. Not so great on the left leg. The loss of strength in the quad and glut is the big problem together with descent of stairs and swelling at the end of the work day. So added more exercises and a stretch to the ones I already do to free up the glut and iliotibial band at the hip and knee. Bottom line: for ordinary people, doing well and ahead of the curve. If you saw me on the street, you wouldnt know I had my quad reattached. For what we do, I am looking at the fall. I just dont have any spring yet in the leg. :(

I am trying hard. 

Keep it up, you will make it 💪!

Edited by mik
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Saw the surgeon on 5/23/24. He tested me pretty thoroughly having me doing hops on the affected leg. Cleared me to skate. No pucks for a month. He wants to me to skate to build more quad strength and if I am good after that, I can get back in. Been doing squats and lunges forward, backward, and diagonally with 80bs. Stretching on off days, and began to jog two weeks ago. I have some numbness below the knee cap, up the lateral side, and about 3 or 4 inches up the outside of the thigh. To reattach the quad, Doc explained he had to cut some nerves into the knee capsule. Feeling might return but likely not. 

I still have some atrophy in the quad and calf but doing much better. No longer a puny thigh and calf. Going to try and skate next Friday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fullright said:

Saw the surgeon on 5/23/24. He tested me pretty thoroughly having me doing hops on the affected leg. Cleared me to skate. No pucks for a month. He wants to me to skate to build more quad strength and if I am good after that, I can get back in. Been doing squats and lunges forward, backward, and diagonally with 80bs. Stretching on off days, and began to jog two weeks ago. I have some numbness below the knee cap, up the lateral side, and about 3 or 4 inches up the outside of the thigh. To reattach the quad, Doc explained he had to cut some nerves into the knee capsule. Feeling might return but likely not. 

I still have some atrophy in the quad and calf but doing much better. No longer a puny thigh and calf. Going to try and skate next Friday. 

Sounds good. Keep us informed how the skating was 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So I am a month late in skating. A work related matter and the building's ice schedule wiped out much of June, which I thought was fine in that I had more time for the off ice exercise program of, stretches, burpees, weights, and I added bicycling this past month. I also modified my diet. I dont think I've been this disciplined in my off ice approach for about 40 or 45 years.

On 6/28/24 I got back on the ice by my lonesome, in full equipment, and did a bag skate for about an hour. And it sucked! LOL. There is usual, civilian fitness and hockey fitness. I am not close to hockey fitness and my leg isnt ready for the torquing playing goal inflicts on the body. Cross crease movement drills on my feet were ok. My leg/knee are not ready for ups and downs, and I lack the confidence right now to try them aggressively. 60 second drills were crushing but at least I didnt puke. Not all bad because I can skate pain free forward and backward and do all the hockey stops, t-stops, cross overs, and pivots. My leg is swollen and I'll be sore tomorrow but it's a start. To be honest, I might be too old to get back all the way from this injury. Few more skates and I hope to get ready for pucks. I am trying hard. 

Thanks for reading this drivel. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope it continues to get better for you. I turned 58 in May and man do I suck. Most of it is my own fault. I don't have an exercise regimen like you do and I eat like a maniac. Ok semi-maniac how's that? 

There is always the vision of making big saves and playing well before games then when the puck drops the reality hits. 

I'm still savoring my last OT win 4-3 playing for the Ice Zombies.  We beat the Trashers. I sub when I can for the league teams. I get a lot of calls but it's only because they need a body in there. 

Anyway sorry about my drivel. Good luck sounds like you're doing great.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2024 at 12:02 AM, Fullright said:

To be honest, I might be too old to get back all the way from this injury. Few more skates and I hope to get ready for pucks. I am trying hard. 

Thanks for reading this drivel. 

Never too old.

You need a goal to push for. Actual play is not the important thing. It's the fact you do.

Imagine if you got the repair and decided to hang it up. You'd never recover and have a lifetime of being banged up. Pushing to get back helps the recovery. The training obviously helps your body more than you can imagine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MTH: I agree and it is very useful way to look at the situation. 

@Scythe: great job man!

Another bag skate for me this evening. Skated much better and harder tonight. Again no puke...huzzah! Moving around the crease better and my pushing across standing up was much stronger. I still lack confidence in my leg to do full speed up and downs (recoveries is the modern term, I think). 

I still burn for it; I am trying. Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bag skate #3. Skated hard and long enough, about 55 mins, to get nauseous but didnt puke. At the end, I took about 11 or 12 shots with a player before the rest of the group came on. Stopped about 2. Mr. Blutarski save percentage of "zero point zero" but it was nice to see a few shots. Still got a confidence issue with the thigh/knee regarding going down. My thigh and knee have some expected discomfort and I have some fear of re-injury. Bouncing back from significant injury seemed easier 40 years ago. Just have to keep trying.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Bag skate #3. Skated hard and long enough, about 55 mins, to get nauseous but didnt puke. At the end, I took about 11 or 12 shots with a player before the rest of the group came on. Stopped about 2. Mr. Blutarski save percentage of "zero point zero" but it was nice to see a few shots. Still got a confidence issue with the thigh/knee regarding going down. My thigh and knee have some expected discomfort and I have some fear of re-injury. Bouncing back from significant injury seemed easier 40 years ago. Just have to keep trying.

Without sounding like a live read ad on a podcast -

Try finding a Postural Restoration certified PT near you.  It's worked wonders for me.

https://www.posturalrestoration.com/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2024 at 12:06 AM, Fullright said:

 Bouncing back from significant injury seemed easier 40 years ago. 

Whenever these young adults tell me that they have an injury (arm injury, etc) and think about not getting it fixed. I stress to them how healing gets rapidly shower when you're older. Do it now! They'll argue how they don't play anymore and won't need it fixed. But you have young kids and you can't be the lame ol dad who can't throw or skate anymore. Use the gift of youth while you can.

Even for us (you and I Fullright) there are many older guys who would love to be our 'young' age. They would tell us the same thing - use it. 

So keep trudging along kid - you're doing great. Keep us posted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...