The Old Man Thread

bunnyman666

15 hours ago, Scythe said:

SK2000/HM30 is on top of my bring back list. Miller pads (cm7's maybe) lightened up. 

CdTJ8bBUsAAO2fX.jpg

I just watched the new Flash movie. If you run fast enough, you can go back in time and keep these going. But the past is like a bowl of spaghetti where timelines intersect.

Maybe have Bauer keep the SK2000 alive and upgrade it rather than kill it off.

• Like 2

Given that we, especially in this thread, have been around for awhile, I could use some advice.

Any of you who have seen my films know I skate in a pretty organized 90 minute "rat" skate with usually the same players, most of which are pretty good. The last few years the skate in particular has become very good with a mix of a few ankle benders, some decent, and some really good players. No one is going to The Show but the skate doesnt suck and is usually the last event for the night at the rink.

So here's my quandry. The fella who organized the skate from the start has been laid low for about 14 months with a neck surgery. One of the ankle benders, who is a youth team certified coach and runs a C level mens league team, has slowly been flexing authority such as when we switch ends and other non-issues. Ok fine, who cares? He and I have gotten along pretty well personally.

But last week he tells me some of the skaters are pissed that I usually dont stay past the end of the skate. No one else has said anything like that to me personally and every one who knows me more than a day knows they can say what's on his or her mind and I'll respectfully consider it. The "coach" seems to be singling me out in that most of the skaters leave at the end of the 90 mins or a few minutes before. Most times, the rink leaves us another 30 mins because the attendant is mopping floors or doing other closing tasks. There's no scrimmage after the skate ends; it's simply 7 or 8 "rats" working on their shots or doing rebound drill which is fine. Sometimes I stay, sometimes I dont depending how tired I am. "Coach" then drops the bomb that instead of 2 goalies, which has always been the custom of the skate, he's going to start bringing out one of 36 other goalies on his "list', a copy of which texted to me, to start a platoon in nets and that "good leaders" need to be adaptable. I didnt engage in an argument about these "issues" but I am seriously thinking about saying "F" it and skate elsewhere which is an option.

Any ideas or counsel about how to handle this situation? Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I can’t believe you do that type of skate to begin with. 90 minutes is tiring in the best of circumstances. And since it’s an “All offense” skate, it’s certainly not the best of circumstances. If you could get involved in an regular organized group where there’s a gatekeeper so to speak who decides who can and cannot play and guarantees two goalies and relatively even teams, that’d likely be more enjoyable. If you have an option like that, you should take it and this guy can go F himself. Honestly, they don’t deserve you. They’re going to regret it. 

• Like 3

The first tought that came to my mind after reading this - so called "coach" looks to me like someone who never realy organized group of hobby amateurs. First and foremost thing  is have two reliable goalies which don´t miss lot of sessions. This type od rotation usualy don´t work good and sooner or later group ends without regular goalies. 

Second - if you play 90 minutes at that level (aka no real defence), that is realy enough. When the time is up, you can leave or stay if you want, players do the same. No player should be angry if you just decide to go home, this is not NHL practice. To me, this just doesn´t make sense.    

How to handle situation? Just straight tell him how you see it. And if it doesn´t help, talk with players/other goalie in case you realy want to stay. Then play elsewhere (if you can). Hockey should be fun.   

Edited by mik
  • Like 3

Coach shoulda stuck up for you when someone said they were mad you leave. 90min no breaks = no fun imo. Might be okay for the first 40 min. I know they pay and want to get their money's worth but there's got to be some balance. If it was really organized there would be a few time outs for water and equipment adjustments etc. 

Is there someone working the score board? 

• Like 1

@Fullright I'd ask this guy in his face if he's the one signing your paycheck. 

I'm asuming this is a men's league/pickup. If so, you're paying to play 90min. If they want to stay longer and you don't the choice belongs to you, you owe him/them nothing.

If you don't want to deal with it, walk. If you still care to keep that ice time, don't let a young punk try to Alpha his way into the pack.

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

Thanks fellas. 

Everyone pays their $10 for the skate. I do also just as a matter of kicking in to help cover the cost of the ice. The skate is tantamount to a bag skate. There are no breaks and there is no D to speak off. That doesnt bother me in the least and, in a weird way, I enjoy the pace. 

I kept my mouth shut when "Coach" expressed his "concerns" although I began to get pissed off. I admit that I am old school. I dont like the rotating nonsense of goalies and it is nonsense. My 2 cents is that if a goalie cant handle the 90 mins, he/she should be in the gym. For instance, on the night this came up, the other goalie, who is half my age, morphed into a Port-A-Goalie 50 mins in. He just stood there. I am not as good as I once was - I am a has been or never was, take your pick, - but I give max effort and dont beg off for a blow for a few mins or bitch if guys shoot at me head. The worst part? "Coach" is a D man who is not only an ankle bender, but also has no idea how to close a gap; more a backing in screen. I keep my mouth shut about these things because it doesnt really matter anymore. What really got under my skin was his threat to bring out one of 36 other goalies. I guess I'll just have to see where things go and let it play out. I didnt skate last week and am not tonight. Supposed to be some big "meeting" about the skate's configuration next Friday. Meanwhile, I am set for a Wednesday morning skate at another building next week. 

Thanks for your takes on this matter. I thought all this who plays and doesnt play with how they play stuff was behind me a long time ago but it seems some just have to put their fingerprints on things. Thanks gentlemen. Hope things are good with you all.

Edited by Fullright
  • Like 1

Yeah, the 'regular skate' games are fun for a while then become work. If you stop going, they'll eventually call you back to play. The skaters want a challenge, so they won't come if there's some trashcan standing in net. I did these skates off an on for years. I get bored of the same dudes playing the same game every week. So, I don't miss them really.

Fun part is that the skaters can take a few shifts off to rest then can leave when they want. You see the guys take their 'last shift' 80 minutes into it and exit the ice rather than go to the bench.

Meanwhile you're stuck out there until the least few guys finally call it. It sucks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The last time I wrote, I addressed the nonsense with an overreaching coach who skates in the skate in which I played. That all got resolved favorably but suffice it to say he and I wont be exchanging dinner invitations any time soon.

All that BS aside, I had a fall on 9/6/23 on the public train I take back and forth to the office. When I fell, I had on the work uniform of leather soled dress shoes together with a suit and tie. My right foot went out from underneath me in the aisle on either side of which are seats. As I fell back, my left leg came up and my left knee cap crashed into the metal tube seat frame on the left side of the aisle. The impact dislocated my left knee cap. I am seeing the orthopedic doctor who I trust with my life and just had an MRI today on the knee today. 

Bottom line is I've been confined to the house since 9/6 with a brace and crutches, a knee the size of a basketball, and a hematoma from mid shin to mid thigh. We'll see where things go from here but any of you who have blown a joint know how this works: once the joint get disrupted, big risk of recurrence. Dr says, being 60 yrs old, the earliest I can get back possibly is in the spring of 24. 

I think I might be done. It kills me to say that. My left knee was the only sound and uninjured major joint left till this humiliating fall. I am hoping to avoid surgery and will do the work to get my knee functional for ordinary stuff such as walking. My life as a hockey goalie, however, might be finished. If so, I suppose I should hold onto the blessing of having played since age 8 to age 60 even though there were intervals where I didnt play after age 34. I just never thought it would end this way. Falling on a effing train? This is the first time in my existence where I took an injury outside of hockey. Embarrassed and heart broken but we'll see where things go.

Edited by Fullright
  • Sad 4

19 minutes ago, Fullright said:

The last time I wrote, I addressed the nonsense with an overreaching coach who skates in the skate in which I played. That all got resolved favorably but suffice it to say he and I wont be exchanging dinner invitations any time soon.

All that BS aside, I had a fall on 9/6/23 on the public train I take back and forth to the office. When I fell, I had on the work uniform of leather soled dress shoes together with a suit and tie. My right foot went out from underneath me in the aisle on either side of which are seats. As I fell back, my left leg came up and my left knee cap crashed into the metal tube seat frame on the left side of the aisle. The impact dislocated my left knee cap. I am seeing the orthopedic doctor who I trust with my life and just had an MRI today on the knee today. 

Bottom line is I've been confined to the house since 9/6 with a brace and crutches, a knee the size of a basketball, and a hematoma from mid shin to mid thigh. We'll see where things go from here but any of you who have blown a joint know how this works: once the joint get disrupted, big risk of recurrence. Dr says, being 60 yrs old, the earliest I can get back possibly is in the spring of 24. 

I think I might be done. It kills me to say that. My left knee was the only sound and uninjured major joint left till this humiliating fall. I am hoping to avoid surgery and will do the work to get my knee functional for ordinary stuff such as walking. My life as a hockey goalie, however, might be finished. If so, I suppose I should hold onto the blessing of having played since age 8 to age 60 even though there were intervals where I didnt play after age 34. I just never thought it would end this way. Falling on a effing train? This is the first time in my existence where I took an injury outside of hockey. Embarrassed and heart broken but we'll see where things go.

Heartbroken to read this, @Fullright. Dealt a shit hand on this, no doubt; but recognizing the privilege of having played for that lengthy period is great to read (even if it was hard to write.)

Hang in there. Maybe the hockey gods will look kindly on you! Just in case, maybe make an offering…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fullright said:

Dude I'm so sorry.  This stings for sure.   The prospect of not playing is just horrifying.  

I'm sorry man, hang in there.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

When it's dark enough, you can see the stars. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Fullright said:

I see that the Muay Thai classes didn't pay off, those knees are soft ;) :P 

Joking aside, I first want to wish you a good strong recovery overall. Take your time. Rushing things at our age doesn't work anymore. If you do decide to hang them up, 60 is a good time. You've played long enough to have squeezed all that you could out of the sport yet young enough that you can pick up another sport or practice that is better tailored to your new situation.

I decided that 60 was it. I've got 5 years left to push it hard and still compete. The injuries are more common and I don't want to not be able to enjoy other things in life. I trail run, I can get back into cycling, I can get back into martial arts, I love dancing, I go to the gym and workout hard twice a week. I will probably stay involved with the position as a coach still, but that remains to be seen.

Happy recovery and don't forget to renew your Super Dave Club membership card :D ❤️

• Like 2

@RichMan, @seagoal, @Lucky Pucker thanks for your compassion and decency. 

Not sure which is weighing on my mind more: the stupidity of my fall or what it might mean for continuing to play.  All things come to end eventually but seriously? This way? I'll advise about the status of the knee as we move ahead. Might be helpful to a younger person who experiences the same injury but hopefully in a more legitimate, hockey way. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fullright said:

@RichMan, @seagoal, @Lucky Pucker thanks for your compassion and decency. 

Not sure which is weighing on my mind more: the stupidity of my fall or what it might mean for continuing to play.  All things come to end eventually but seriously? This way? I'll advise about the status of the knee as we move ahead. Might be helpful to a younger person who experiences the same injury but hopefully in a more legitimate, hockey way. 

There's gotta be a good laugh hiding beneath the "stupidity".  It'll find you one day.

• Like 2

Really sorry to hear. Don't retire, you have to get recovery and rehab going for something, right? Get back on the ice at least one more time. End on your terms - or just 'haven't played in a while'.

Retirement is for old people. 60 isn't old.

Why aren't we suing the transit company and then ordering some fresh custom gear? Am I nuts?

I see people here in Philly run as fast as possible to jump on a Septa bus after it hits a car. What's your excuse?

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:25 PM, Fullright said:

I feel you brother.

I bent down to pick up a pen off the floor in late June, same week I got a monster promotion at work.
I hear something click in my right hip and immediate discomfort.  Then I find I can't get into certain ranges (hip abduction mainly).  Next day, I can't even walk and the pain persists for about a week.

I had an MRI done back in late July, got it back in early August indicating two torn hip labrums, some degeration and development of some kind of cyst in the joint (which is probably why my hip internal rotation sucks); luckily no FAI.
Currently doing some PT stuff right now, who say it's "normal wear and tear" for a 39 year old hockey player.

Serious misadventure with my insurance company.  My primary care referred me to an orthopedic specialist group twice.  First time, the doctor I was cut a referral to is retiring at end of year, and isn't accepting new patients.  Second time, I find out this group doesn't treat torn hip labrums.  Absolute shit show, call my insurance company to complain and they told me it's on my primary care to actually research who treats what before cutting a referral.

At this point, it's late August.  I finally have a specialist who can see me and can work on my injury, but he's booked out until October. 

I've been contemplating hanging them up too.  I drive home and I see my gear parked on the shelf in front of me, it's weird feeling knowing I may not put the gear on ever again.  Half the stuff is brand new, I just got a new chest and pants.  Got some new sticks sitting in my office right now.

• Like 3

Remain positive Chenner29. Easy for one of us to say but the anxiety and wait can eat you up and create a negative mindset. 

Make no rash decisions and for sure Do Not have a fire sale on any of your gear (spoken from experience). You are a young man and good stuff is happening in the world of orthopaedics.

Consult with the orthopedic surgeon scheduled for November 14.  Yeehaw.

We'll see what happens.  Not at all committed to having hip surgery, but it's the only way I'll be back on the ice in goalie gear.  At 37 I'm more concerned with making the hips I was born with last as long as possible now than resurrecting a beer league hockey career, but it'd certainly be nice to be able to get back in the net.

Edited by AdamL
  • Like 1

Surgery completed this morning on a same day basis. I cannot take pics at this point to document the wound. I have a compression dressing from my toes to mid thigh over which I have a hinged carbon fiber immobilizer with it locked into straight leg position. Crutches only and cant get it wet. Follow up w Dr is next thursday. I am a little concerned about the wound. He told me going in he'd have to make an incision so to locate the tendon, pull it down, and anchor it in place with three screws. Pain is tolerable but you'll love this: Dr rxed Norco for pain because the general and nerve block in the thigh would wear off. The CVS has Norco on back order and it isnt available. I dont like taking crap because for me it easier to cope with my head clear rather than hazed w narcotics. So I just have to live with it or take a belt of a good Scotch. 

@AdamL, dude I am so sorry about your hip. I didnt have a choice. I tried to negotiate with Dr a way out of the surgery and he said sure I could hobble around with the brace for a year or so and then he'd have to reconstruct my thigh. Hobbling isnt an option for my work and thigh reconstruction is extreme so quad reattachment and meniscus surgery was the only realistic option.

@Chenner29, Oh man! So sorry about that esp at a great moment in your career made worse only by an insurance snafu. Best going forward.

@Wonder35, @WillyGrips13, @RichMan, & @MTH: I dont want to stop; I planned to just go for the year and see how it went with my play. If I was getting blown out, then it is easy. If I was effectively ok, keep going. I still burn for it and, like all of you, probably will till I die. Like I told a neighbor, I've goal longer than anything else in my life. So your counsel about keeping my options open is good advice. Besides, no one would buy my outdated gear except a museum. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Surgery completed this morning on a same day basis. I cannot take pics at this point to document the wound. I have a compression dressing from my toes to mid thigh over which I have a hinged carbon fiber immobilizer with it locked into straight leg position. Crutches only and cant get it wet. Follow up w Dr is next thursday. I am a little concerned about the wound. He told me going in he'd have to make an incision so to locate the tendon, pull it down, and anchor it in place with three screws. Pain is tolerable but you'll love this: Dr rxed Norco for pain because the general and nerve block in the thigh would wear off. The CVS has Norco on back order and it isnt available. I dont like taking crap because for me it easier to cope with my head clear rather than hazed w narcotics. So I just have to live with it or take a belt of a good Scotch. 

@AdamL, dude I am so sorry about your hip. I didnt have a choice. I tried to negotiate with Dr a way out of the surgery and he said sure I could hobble around with the brace for a year or so and then he'd have to reconstruct my thigh. Hobbling isnt an option for my work and thigh reconstruction is extreme so quad reattachment and meniscus surgery was the only realistic option.

@Chenner29, Oh man! So sorry about that esp at a great moment in your career made worse only by an insurance snafu. Best going forward.

@Wonder35, @WillyGrips13, @RichMan, & @MTH: I dont want to stop; I planned to just go for the year and see how it went with my play. If I was getting blown out, then it is easy. If I was effectively ok, keep going. I still burn for it and, like all of you, probably will till I die. Like I told a neighbor, I've goal longer than anything else in my life. So your counsel about keeping my options open is good advice. Besides, no one would buy my outdated gear except a museum. 

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm pretty sure I have some leftover Norco in my medicine cabinet from when I got my wisdom teeth removed...
Would that make me a drug dealer? lol

• Like 1