The Old Man Thread

bunnyman666

Checking in here: I had an MRI on my hip today (well, yesterday). I did 10 weeks of PT, got a gorgeous ass, took 6 weeks off playing, played and the left hip still hurt (and I got less flexible).

The gadolinium injected contrast hurt (and still hurts) like something fierce. I've had it done before from an MRI on my shoulder back in 2017, which is how I found out I have a SLAP tear up there, and that felt like the described pressure and "fullness" within the joint. This one straight hurt the whole time, only got worse as they put more in, and still hurts to the point that my entire leg hurts. I don't have my diagnosis yet, but I'm really suspecting it's labrum damage within the hip that will need surgery, then I'll be back on the PT grind to rebuild the atrophied muscle for months before I can get the clear to even try skating again.

I could be doing better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/1/2023 at 3:58 AM, keeperton said:

Checking in here: I had an MRI on my hip today (well, yesterday). I did 10 weeks of PT, got a gorgeous ass, took 6 weeks off playing, played and the left hip still hurt (and I got less flexible).

The gadolinium injected contrast hurt (and still hurts) like something fierce. I've had it done before from an MRI on my shoulder back in 2017, which is how I found out I have a SLAP tear up there, and that felt like the described pressure and "fullness" within the joint. This one straight hurt the whole time, only got worse as they put more in, and still hurts to the point that my entire leg hurts. I don't have my diagnosis yet, but I'm really suspecting it's labrum damage within the hip that will need surgery, then I'll be back on the PT grind to rebuild the atrophied muscle for months before I can get the clear to even try skating again.

I could be doing better.

I tore both MCL's and PCL's in 2018, rehabbed and came back (too early), in 2019 and as a result tore my miniscus, likely as a result of compensating for my other injuries. Went for surgery for the miniscus, and then continued rehab for another full year. I'm not saying your recovery will take anywhere near this long, but I did have many moments where it felt like I'd never heal and be able to play again. Now I'm back to 100%, playing more than ever and playing well. Don't lose faith, just stick to the process and do the right rehab and hopefully you eventually will see positive results. 🙏

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Truth @MTH. The populace in general is difficult to navigate. Just means the dating pool is also tough. I mean - if its hard to run into good folks out in the world in general - dating one of them is going to prove at least equally challenging. Good luck though - I have to believe that being a genuine person pays dividends eventually.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, chile57 said:

Truth @MTH. The populace in general is difficult to navigate. Just means the dating pool is also tough. I mean - if its hard to run into good folks out in the world in general - dating one of them is going to prove at least equally challenging. Good luck though - I have to believe that being a genuine person pays dividends eventually.

I'm doing just that. I'm pretty nice. I think most aren't. So the ladies are caught off guard by me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MTH said:

I'm doing just that. I'm pretty nice. I think most aren't. So the ladies are caught off guard by me.

Sounds like you’re not out in the boonies either so you are at least upping some probabilities in there somewhere (math). But also means it’ll feel like there’s more to weed out. 

@MTH: hang in there, bud.

My therapy is coming along pretty well. Began squats a few weeks ago and I am up to a puny 60 lbs but it is progress. Also doing bands for motion together with stretching, Stairs are still an issue together with swelling at the end of the work day. Long road still ahead -  my surgeron and the literature on quad reattachment says about a year for full recovery. Throwing everything I have at it to shorten that time frame; very much ahead of the curve in my recovery but I am climbing the walls with no pucks coming my way. At least I can walk without much of a limp so I suppose I just have to keep stacking small "wins". Kinda sucks having to race the clock - worried about not having enough shelf life left to get back but I am trying really hard. 

• Like 3

On 12/1/2023 at 4:58 AM, keeperton said:

I could be doing better.

Ok, what's her name...the PT chick serving you? I mean, that's why you keep going, right? Focus glutes... ;) :P 

Jokes aside, hope you can first get comfortable in your everyday life, THEN you can test your limits. Stay strong!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

Ok, what's her name...the PT chick serving you? I mean, that's why you keep going, right? Focus glutes... ;) :P 

Jokes aside, hope you can first get comfortable in your everyday life, THEN you can test your limits. Stay strong!

Lol. Frankly it's my SO that's like, "dude, you're getting a dumptruck and I'm here for it."

I never updated, but my prognosis is that I have a 4mm tear in my left hip's labrum. My doctor doesn't want to do surgery on that, so I'm taking the next season off and going hard into PT even more in the hopes that the amount of time off will allow it to at least heal enough while the muscle around it is built to make it not re-aggravate to the level it is/was. Thus, in the meantime, I put in an order for 2024 PX3 gear while I'm off because of course I want the thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keeperton said:

Lol. Frankly it's my SO that's like, "dude, you're getting a dumptruck and I'm here for it."

I never updated, but my prognosis is that I have a 4mm tear in my left hip's labrum. My doctor doesn't want to do surgery on that, so I'm taking the next season off and going hard into PT even more in the hopes that the amount of time off will allow it to at least heal enough while the muscle around it is built to make it not re-aggravate to the level it is/was. Thus, in the meantime, I put in an order for 2024 PX3 gear while I'm off because of course I want the thing.

There's new custom options for 2024 Px3!

• 3 weeks later...

The thigh/knee has been coming along pretty well. ROM greatly improving in that I can almost get my heel to my glut and the last week or so able to go descend stairs, not smoothly, but functionally. Then yesterday a not so good morning. Winter hit the Chicago area hard yesterday with snow/rain storm leaving a crap load of slippery slush. After getting off the train and crossing the Chicago river bridge on Madison Street, left foot slipped out on slush pack on the metal bridge decking sidewalk. I didnt go down but my knee and thigh was screaming murder at me. Iced up at the office and by the time I got home last night, not only was my knee the size of a basketball, but we also lost power. Less painful today and did the goalie will thing pushing though my squats today without incident. Apologies for the self pity wussy rant.