The Old Man Thread

bunnyman666

I used a VH on one kid last week. He told me after I covered the puck that I confused him how I was positioned.

It's a 'VH-C' save. That's the VH Classic.

My 16 year old son filled in with my team. First time I had one of my kids play in a game with me. Pretty cool.

• Like 4

Good to hear you got to play w your son @MTH

Weird how time passes and things change. Being a 60 yr old gas bag, I try to keep an open mind and use more modern save selections and incorporate modern concepts into my "game" such as it is. I mentioned above that last time out, a college player beat me with a lacrosse goal. He beat me while I was in a classic - thanks MTH - VH up tight against the post. I should have realized that with my Darren Pang height, if I had stayed on my feet up tight against the post, the puck would have just hit me in the chest. Best part: I stopped him staying up last summer - he told me this time that as he went behind the net, he was surprised I VH-ed and knew he had me beat before he stuffed the puck in. :) Go figure!

20 hours ago, MTH said:

I used a VH on one kid last week. He told me after I covered the puck that I confused him how I was positioned.

It's a 'VH-C' save. That's the VH Classic.

My 16 year old son filled in with my team. First time I had one of my kids play in a game with me. Pretty cool.

VH is now old school eh? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

VH is now old school eh? 

Classic as hell.

When the lacrosse goal was called the 'Michigan', I used to reach over the net and push the player with my glove when they were scooping up the puck. Although today, most guys can pick the puck and not even slow down. In the day - they'd stop and concentrate on it.

Today I was asked to commit to an 80 game schedule commencing in September through to April.

I countered with a modified plan, Mondays and Fridays, mid day, 90 minutes running time. No more tournaments as my oft repaired body can no longer sustain multi games per day. Waiting to hear from my Agent……….

I am 74 years young this fall.

Penticton Team Photot Nov 2013.jpeg

2008-12-01-1515-07.jpeg

2008-10-30-1013-23_edited.jpeg

• Like 11

@Wonder35 that last pic is so old, the boards are yellowed :D lolll. Love it! Amazing how our chest protectors looked like a simple winter jacket under our jerseys, eh :P 

I'm 54, played in the old ways of Plante, Fuhr, Resch before modernising my game in 2006 to what is today. Hard on the hips/knees/ankles but tolerable. Has anyone done the same and eventually reverted back to the old style due to pain or simple physical limitations? How'd that go?

Aside from the 2 pad stack that I still pull out now and then, I can't remember the last time I made a kick save. I dread making a skate save with my no cowling skates. My butterfly instincts are now ingrained. 

I love the VH and will choose it 3 times out of 5 over the RVH.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 6:13 AM, RichMan said:

@Wonder35 that last pic is so old, the boards are yellowed :D lolll. Love it! Amazing how our chest protectors looked like a simple winter jacket under our jerseys, eh :P 

I'm 54, played in the old ways of Plante, Fuhr, Resch before modernising my game in 2006 to what is today. Hard on the hips/knees/ankles but tolerable. Has anyone done the same and eventually reverted back to the old style due to pain or simple physical limitations? How'd that go?

Aside from the 2 pad stack that I still pull out now and then, I can't remember the last time I made a kick save. I dread making a skate save with my no cowling skates. My butterfly instincts are now ingrained. 

I love the VH and will choose it 3 times out of 5 over the RVH.

Yeah - I know the RVH and I teach it to the kids. But my body isn't a fan. I struggle getting my hips correct while positioning my legs. 

It's easier for my body and brain to drop to a VH. Also after playing roller for decades, I prefer to get up to my feet and move.

I lost 60 pounds since March - so movement has been way easier.

• Like 2

Got to skate this past Friday, 6/30/23. Once again, a beat down from college and high school players more interested in beating on an old man. This was one of those skates where I didnt play poorly and still got bombed. I can say two positive things. One, had a ball! Two, I got revenge on the hot shot who beat me with the lacrosse goal a few weeks ago; I stayed on my feet, hugged the post, and the attempt harmlessly hit me in the chest. Best part was he called me an MF-er. 

There used to be a syndrome called "Illinois Hockey" where players made dumb mistakes despite being skilled and for some actually thought they had potential until they left Illinois and played against high end players and reality crashed into them. I think the syndrome is dead. These young guys are so skilled and strong. Meanwhile, photographic evidence that I still exist,

20230630_214735.jpg

20230630_220118.jpg

Edited by Fullright
  • Like 1

Adding more to this "geezer" thread... :P 

What defunk gear brand would you brink back to use if you could? It can be more than one and go as detailed as you want.

I would love to bring back my Eagle PMW1 pads and TB10 blocker and TT10 glove. Lite like air but still old school looking. Next I would bring back my Heaton Helite Pro Z pads and modify the landing area like I wanted back then but never got to. Finally I would love to own again the Jofa/Bourdon trapper with the outside finger stalls. It was a heavy glove but a real vacuum and looked bad ass.  

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, RichMan said:

What defunk brand gear would you brink back to use if you could? It can be more than one and go as detailed as you want.

I would love to bring back my Eagle PMW1 pads and TB10 blocker and TT10 glove. Lite like air but still old school looking. Next I would bring back my Heaton Helite Pro Z pads and modify the landing area like I wanted back then but never got to. Finally I would love to own again the Jofa/Bourdon trapper with the outside finger stalls. It was a heavy glove but a real vacuum and looked bad ass.  

Does Reebok count now? ;) 

• Haha 1

I'd love to rock a new old sized T4000 glove. White with a nash palm. Considering that I'm still wearing V1 pads and use a V1 blocker, I really can't go back much further.

Maybe a new composite version of some Hextall Vic sticks. Miss being able to launch a puck and also hack off player's legs near the crease.

Remembering the Greats: The Itty, Bitty and Gritty Philadelphia Flyers -  Trainwreck Sports

18 hours ago, RichMan said:

What defunk gear brand would you brink back to use if you could? It can be more than one and go as detailed as you want.

I had one of those Jofa trappers.  Heavy as hell, and you felt EVERY shot that did not go in the pocket.  My hand was numb after every practice with it.

Defunt, I would bring back Eddy Masks, the Titan Injection sticks, pretty much anything Heaton, and Tackla Pro Keeper pants.

1 hour ago, MTH said:

The top of all our lists is easy:

image.jpeg.3a7845ad6443795c02f1b011f54613b2.jpeg

He caught that right in the pocket.

Which one?

I had that set with a matched set of Cooper DuraSoft pads. Terrible gear. The Trapper was heavy and clumsy to use. The pads were the original Shape Shifters, Blocker - OK, but not good.

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I had that set with a matched set of Cooper DuraSoft pads. Terrible gear. The Trapper was heavy and clumsy to use. The pads were the original Shape Shifters, Blocker - OK, but not good.

How dare you say anything bad about this gear...

I miss the days when goalie gear was changing so much year to year and things like this were released to the masses. Who will remember goalie gear from the past five years?

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, Naz said:

I had one of those Jofa trappers.  Heavy as hell, and you felt EVERY shot that did not go in the pocket.  My hand was numb after every practice with it.

Defunt, I would bring back Eddy Masks, the Titan Injection sticks, pretty much anything Heaton, and Tackla Pro Keeper pants.

I don't remember getting stingers in mine. Then again, maybe it was modified. I did buy it from a goalie friend when we were just teens. Or maybe I just caught everything in the pocket back then :D . I was split save/windmill hungry in my youth :P