Sore Knees

Chester

Hey, folks. I play about 3x a week. My knees are getting sore. I have Gen 1 Passau knee pads. When i ordered my Passau pads, i originally got Maltese insert knee stacks. I found they made the knee area waaaay too bulky. Removed them. Fast forward 1 1/2 years, post ACL tear (not repaired, playing with a brace) and ive gone to the last strap hole, angled elastics to open the knee area for rotation. 

This last month ive been finding both my knees are sore the next day. Are the knee pads "wearing thin"? How long do knee pads last? They are taking 200lbs of up and down everytime. 

Or is it my knee stacks? How do i tell?

Cheers mates.

Tom"Chester"

I find knee pads wear down pretty fast,  especially if worn bare on skin as I do.

I'm pretty sold on replacing mine once a year and I play 2-3 times a week year round. 

It very well could be about your body or knee stacks on your pads,  but I thought I'd chime in on knee pads.

Arguably they take more abuse than any other piece of gear. 

Had a similar issue - I got some 1X knee pads and hurt my knee wearing them as theres barely any landing padding on them. Went back to my old gen 2 Passaus, which were notably more comfortable after wearing the 1X, but had worn down and compressed in the landing area a bit. 

Thought about getting the Maltese inserts to bulk up the Passaus, but because of the demise of Maltese had to improvise instead - got a sheet of 0.5" foam to make an additional layer in the knee stacks, and also wear sweat bands around the bottom my knee (bit goofy, but gives a bit more landing padding and prob isn't as bulky as the Maltese inserts would of been). Combo of those two has done wonders, haven't had any knee pain for awhile now. 

I would say this is an area of both the knee pad and ILP (knee landing gear) that don’t get quite as much love and attention as they should. I would be looking at both the knee guard AND see if you could not replace/augment the foam in your ILP as those foams break down, as well. 

I have 2 solutions for this. I have the same ailment. 

1 - MacDavid knee pads. Wear them sideways so they cover the landing area. I wear them under tights and they’ve never moved. Not bulky at all. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/McDavid-MD6446-Hex-Leg-Sleeves-Pair-Adult-L-BLACK/40426899

2. Have @Beccaraptor make an extra stack to Velcro in from her gel

Archived