Bauer Vapor 2.7x and 2x Leg Pads

kyledjean

Has anyone worn the 2.7x pads? I literally can't find any definitive info on that line, except a 1.27 minute "Review". Wondering how worth it is it to pay basically double the price for the 2x set. I have noticed that each "line" is basically double the price (which makes the 2.7x almost 4 time the price of the 2xpro). Is there truly a $400 difference between the 2.7x and 2x? Don't have a lot of money to upgrade pads, but I tried in the 2xpros and those felt the best out of everything Peranis had in flint (though I didn't see any supremes there so couldn't try them on).

17 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Has anyone worn the 2.7x pads? I literally can't find any definitive info on that line, except a 1.27 minute "Review". Wondering how worth it is it to pay basically double the price for the 2x set. I have noticed that each "line" is basically double the price (which makes the 2.7x almost 4 time the price of the 2xpro). Is there truly a $400 difference between the 2.7x and 2x? Don't have a lot of money to upgrade pads, but I tried in the 2xpros and those felt the best out of everything Peranis had in flint (though I didn't see any supremes there so couldn't try them on).

I mean, you're asking for a review on literally entry level pads. You won't find too many guys on this site, or probably in general willing to test out and write a comprehensive review on this set of pads as they're not very sought after. Judging off of my limited experience in just handling the 1S, S190, and S170, the S170 was a steep decline in overall quality compared to the S190. The pad felt incredibly 'cheap' compared to the next step up in the S190.

I'm curious as to: 1. what are you currently using that you're looking to upgrade from? and 2. Would the idea of buying used make more sense?

Honestly, unless you're literally starting out playing goal, I'd recommend steering away from the S170, X700, X2.7 and S2.7 lines. But then again, I'm an elitist

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, you're asking for a review on literally entry level pads. You won't find too many guys on this site, or probably in general willing to test out and write a comprehensive review on this set of pads as they're not very sought after. Judging off of my limited experience in just handling the 1S, S190, and S170, the S170 was a steep decline in overall quality compared to the S190. The pad felt incredibly 'cheap' compared to the next step up in the S190.

I'm curious as to: 1. what are you currently using that you're looking to upgrade from? and 2. Would the idea of buying used make more sense?

Honestly, unless you're literally starting out playing goal, I'd recommend steering away from the S170, X700, X2.7 and S2.7 lines.

Good to know. Honestly I was just wondering if anyone had even skated in them here. 

Currently skating in the pads in my pic, Vaughn Epics (1st Gen, if there was more than one). I got them back in the summer of 2004 or 2005 I believe, Only play half a season in them at the time. Been using them again since April, But they have started deteriorating rapidly. Slide points have warn down sooooo much, stiching coming undone almost all over, grommets coming out of glove binding.

I tried on the premiere 2's, eflex 4, warrior gt2, warrior g4, vaughn ve8, vaughn slr2, brians gentics 8, brians optics. Didn't have any supremes to try on. All the pads felt very weird and uncomfortable except for the vapors. 

Usually  am playing 2-3 times a week, but since I have gotten back into the swing of things more now I have been asked to sub a lot (sometimes 3 games in a single day) So now I am more at 5-6 games a week. 

Looking for something that will last a couple season. Back in the day my gear would last minimum 3 years playing 5 times a week, but back then there wasn't this senior vs pro crap. I don't make a lot unfortunately, and my wife and father both have a ton of medical bills that I pay from cancer. 

Just trying to find a happy medium between a decent pad and not spending $2000 on just pads 

Interesting that the vapours were up your alley coming from some older Epics. 2X line is a very stiff type of pad.

All the newer pads are going to feel a bit alien to ya. Are you wanting something stiff? Or something with an easier transition?

As for durability, I'd be wary about the entry level line. There isn't a lot of reviews our there on that stuff, and well, it's fairly cheap and makes me apprehensive about if it would hold up for a decent season at a decent level.

My Epics were insanely stiff compared to the McKenney's I was wearing before them. I do seem to like a stiffer pad, but loved the flex of the boot. Loved the tightness against the shin. My knees wouldn't lad in the cradle of literally any pad consistently except the vapors. I am definitely a butterfly guy and just felt the most comfortable in the hips and knees in the vapors, interestingly enough. I had went into the store thinking that the G4's were definitely what I was going to be eventually getting. Honestly only tried the vapors on so that I could say to myself I tried on every model in my size. I was super surprised to find that they were the most comfortable of the bunch. I have worn sherwood (my first year), two sets of Mckenneys, Vaughn visions (I think, a pro friend  sold them to me (he's 5'4" so they were intermediates with senior width)) and Vaughn Epics. Loved my transition from Mckenney to the Epics. 

5 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

I've been interested in these also, as a second set. The Bauer reps had a ton at the Perani's demo day in Farmington, but unfortunately they were all Jr/Int. 

I thought about going, but was busy and could't justify driving to the east side for a third time without cash to actually by something. 

22 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That sounds like a sizing problem, no?

Every pad I've ever tried on (that was sized correctly) I've never had any issues with my knee hitting the knee stack.

Tried 31, 32, 33, 34 (stock) all had some issue with sizing. It wasn’t like they missed all the time, but I butterflied probably 20-30 times in each and roughly half the time I had trouble staying on the block. 

26 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

Tried 31, 32, 33, 34 (stock) all had some issue with sizing. It wasn’t like they missed all the time, but I butterflied probably 20-30 times in each and roughly half the time I had trouble staying on the block. 

If you like Vaughn why not look at the VE8 or PVE?  What's you ankle to knee or floor to knee measurement?  You also have to take into account that most pads on the market will have elastic/velcro strapping, no boot straps and bungee toe ties.  

When you were doing butterfly's at the store did you have your skates and pants on?

Don't sleep on smaller custom brands like Passau and Kenesky.  Either company can build you complete custom pads to your specs and playing style.

Tried the ve8 and slr and slr2. Weren’t as comfortable and had a much smaller butterfly with them do to hip and ankle angles with stress. Brought my skates and pants with me when I was trying them on. Being that I don’t have a lot to spend and can’t afford to purchase a pair that I can’t try on first (and end up not liking them) I haven’t given much thought to the smaller custom companies. To much of a risk for me. No way I can afford a pro level pad either. Gotta keep it under $1000. 

3 hours ago, kyledjean said:

Tried the ve8 and slr and slr2. Weren’t as comfortable and had a much smaller butterfly with them do to hip and ankle angles with stress. Brought my skates and pants with me when I was trying them on. Being that I don’t have a lot to spend and can’t afford to purchase a pair that I can’t try on first (and end up not liking them) I haven’t given much thought to the smaller custom companies. To much of a risk for me. No way I can afford a pro level pad either. Gotta keep it under $1000. 

Then look used.  Tons of pro level stuff for dirt cheap. Sidelineswap plus all the Facebook group pages are a good start.

No matter what you choose you're going to have a major adjustment period.

FWIW you can't beat the Warrior Senior gear.  Best bang for buck on the market today

6 hours ago, Abraham Simpson said:

If you like pro-level gear at decent prices, take a close look at the clearance section of any store: You can get monster discounts when new models are released. For example Goalie Monkey has some decent pads that have been discounted by almost 70% from original list price:

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/clearance/leg-pads/senior.html

This is what I used to do, and it's a great way to get better prices on high quality gear.

I just got done re-doing the knee stacks on my buddy's entry level CCM pads (old EF2 760's I think).  He's not a big guy (5'8" 170 I'd guess) and it felt like he'd worn a hole in his knee foam.  Once I opened up the stack I found that the knee stack was build from junky open cell foam like you'd use for shipping.  I replaced it with some higher quality material and he went from wanting to buy new pads to thinking he can get several more years out of the ones he has.   I'm assuming that the rest of the foam is on par with what I found in the knee area and he'll end up replacing them sooner rather than later, but that's on him.   Regardless, the knee stack is one of the best places to feel the quality of the materials used in the pad.  Go back to Perani's and feel the difference in the knee stacks on the EF4, 4.9 and 4.5.  You'll be shocked at how crappy the bottom end feels compared to the top or middle. 

There's nothing wrong with buying bottom end if you're only on the ice once  week or so and want to replace your pads every year or two, but understand that you are making the decision to replace more often with lower level gear.  One argument for spending more on better pads is that when you DO want to upgrade you'll get more out of the gear you're selling.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:43 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Warrior’s senior gear is actually the best deal out there for new gear.

I can echo this sentiment. The Warrior gear is absolutely fantastic feeling, even when it wasn't what I was looking for.

I would also echo cwarner's thoughts of going used for price point. Maybe look into V6s for something more like what you're used to, they're really great pads. I love pretty much everything Vaughn produces except gloves, but that's because they're too big for my little baby hands. I have yet to find a better blocker than the Velocity line stuff, except maybe the Optik or 2X.

Archived