Replacing velcro on my Maltese neckguard

Richie41

Hey I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on how to replace the Velcro on a Maltese neck guard? I’ve used it for two years and it’s still in great shape and really don’t want to buy a new one. I wouldn’t mind taking it somewhere to fix but I need to do something about it.  

Is it just the loop side that is basically shredded like we mostly see them after a little while?  Or is the hook side attached to the collar also in need of replacement?

One thought is getting some clearance under armor type of workout shirt or other type of clothing as a cover, sort of like how EcoPro did theirs.  I find that one very comfortable, but feel like the longer strip would be better for adjustability.

20 hours ago, Richie41 said:

Hey I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on how to replace the Velcro on a Maltese neck guard? I’ve used it for two years and it’s still in great shape and really don’t want to buy a new one. I wouldn’t mind taking it somewhere to fix but I need to do something about it.  

I did this for a few customers when I was a Maltese rep.

You'll need a seam ripper, a Speedy Stitcher, black waxed thread (note that the Speedy Stitcher brand comes with thread, but it's a pretty ugly yellow color), and replacement velcro.

Use the seam ripper to pick the thread of.  Once you get this started, you can grab some pliers to just yank on the loose thread.  It's a bit faster.

Use the Speedy Stitcher to punch in a new thread.

Archived