Pro-Reskinning of Gear

TheGoalNet

So we all know that companies mod or make gear to emulate stuff from another OEM. They'll even do it for the average joe if you're willing to pay for custom. Pretty much every company on earth has tried to make something that breaks or feels like a T5500. CCM 600 being the most obvious and glaring example? 

There's also the mythical "re-skinning" of equipment, which @bunnyman666 is becoming an expert at. 

Here's my questions to the Goalie Crowd... 

Does anyone know a pro who had gear re-skinned to match a set or honor an equipment contract? I've never heard of it and think it's rare, but I'd be niave to think it doesn't happen. 

The closet examples I know of are Lefebvre restuffing Roy's original blue Kohos or Factory Mad modding Thomas's Stock Vaughn pads. 

I'm wondering if anyone has proof that a T5500 was dissembled at the Heston factory and rebranded, etc  

I have seen things like this happen a LOT in the bike world, which is as simple as a can of black rattle can and a vinyl plotter for branding. I even had to repaint a bike and get factory downtube decals to satisfy my team's sponsorship agreement, as this manufacturer did not make a dedicated time trial bike. 

As far as making something different than what the outside labels suggests it is, plenty of that happens. Elliot's "Reactors" are one item that comes to mind.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have seen things like this happen a LOT in the bike world, which is as simple as a can of black rattle can and a vinyl plotter for branding. I even had to repaint a bike and get factory downtube decals to satisfy my team's sponsorship agreement, as this manufacturer did not make a dedicated time trial bike. 

As far as making something different than what the outside labels suggests it is, plenty of that happens. Elliot's "Reactors" are one item that comes to mind.

Elliott was all Bauer still. Calling his X60 a Reactor was just marketing. 

I am curious if anyone has an example where someone re-skinned a Bauer glove with the CCM logo or something like that? 

36 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Elliott was all Bauer still. Calling his X60 a Reactor was just marketing. 

I am curious if anyone has an example where someone re-skinned a Bauer glove with the CCM logo or something like that? 

SaveByRichter has mentioned that Richter's equipment was either re-skinned or cloned versions of his original stuff before. 

19 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

SaveByRichter has mentioned that Richter's equipment was either re-skinned or cloned versions of his original stuff before. 

His Bauer Reactor pads were not typical Bauer Reactor 4 pads.  They were clones of his older Vaughns.

Ryan Miller also had a lot of pads cloned for him up until he started to wear Vaughn a few years ago.  I forgot which model it was that he actually started wearing an actual Vaughn pad though.  His Reeboks and earlier Vaughn pads were all Heaton clones.  Vaughn eventually made something he liked enough to use their pad without having anything cloned.

13 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far

This is kind of confirming my earlier thoughts, that companies will do clones, but no one actually does reskinning

Reskinning is useful in two ways:

1) an otherwise in great nick piece that needs a small colour change (mostly what I have done)

2) put on a new blocker face onto an old favourite. This has happened a few times over the years and gets reported on occasionally

Reskinning an entire glove gets to be labour intensive and otherwise should become a full on clone, ESPECIALLY when the internals are knackered and the skin is lunched. You literally have to redo bloody near EVERYTHING when doing that to a wobbly old glove (or pad or whatever). Pattern everything off of every part you have disassembled, and pray you can put it back together LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 11:09 AM, motowngoalie said:

I think I remember reading somewhere that Brodeur's Sher-wood gear was a re-skin of an older DR pad? Of course, now I can't remember where I saw that...:myhead:

Making a clone is common, which was the case of Broduer. 

With a reskin, we'd actually have a Vaughn logo and Jenpro on top of CCM foam & plastic. I am pretty convinced it doesn't happen & is a myth 

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

With a reskin, we'd actually have a Vaughn logo and Jenpro on top of CCM foam & plastic. I am pretty convinced it doesn't happen & is a myth 

Ok I was going to post this question in another thread but figured it was a stupid question/comment so I just said fuck it and moved on.  Now this post, along with the conversation going on in another thread about Price possibly moving away from CCM, is making me want to just go on with it again.  So...

If Price is contemplating going to Bauer or Brian's once his endorsement deal is up with CCM and CCM was really desperate to keep Price no matter what, do you think CCM would let one of them(Bauer or Brian's) make the pad of Price's choice and pay them to slap CCM and the EF graphics in order to give the appearance that Price is still in CCM?  Obviously the gear queers like us would notice the difference but to Joe Schmo Goalie, who is a Price fanboy, and will only buy a piece of gear that Price wears he's going to go out and buy CCM.  Now multiply that by all of the little kids in Canada who wanna be Price as well.  

38 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ok I was going to post this question in another thread but figured it was a stupid question/comment so I just said fuck it and moved on.  Now this post, along with the conversation going on in another thread about Price possibly moving away from CCM, is making me want to just go on with it again.  So...

If Price is contemplating going to Bauer or Brian's once his endorsement deal is up with CCM and CCM was really desperate to keep Price no matter what, do you think CCM would let one of them(Bauer or Brian's) make the pad of Price's choice and pay them to slap CCM and the EF graphics in order to give the appearance that Price is still in CCM?  Obviously the gear queers like us would notice the difference but to Joe Schmo Goalie, who is a Price fanboy, and will only buy a piece of gear that Price wears he's going to go out and buy CCM.  Now multiply that by all of the little kids in Canada who wanna be Price as well.  

That happens a LOT in other sports, especially when Nike was trying to get a foothold in all sports. Nike couldn't make a cycling shoe that many sponsored pros liked, so their swoosh would be applied to Sidi, Carnac and other cycling shoes. Lance Armstrong forced Nike to make a good cycling shoe. 

That could be a great possibility with Price. He is about as big as they come as far as goalies go. 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

In the case of Price, Bauer OD1N tech is something CCM doesn't have and Bauer, according to rumors, might pay more

if that's fact, it might be impossible to keep Price

On 8/23/2017 at 3:04 PM, TheGoalNet said:

100% agree. No need with the gear - for the most part - not that hard to clone.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:35 AM, MTH said:

Jagr had some "RBK" logo'd DR Mitts while with the Rangers:

You can see the "DR" on the red part of the thumb.

Yep- I have seen odd cuff rolls on gloves that there was no possible matching glove model. CCM cuff rolls ended up on Reebok gloves during the beginning of the transition away from Reebok hockey. 

25 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Yep- I have seen odd cuff rolls on gloves that there was no possible matching glove model. CCM cuff rolls ended up on Reebok gloves during the beginning of the transition away from Reebok hockey. 

Same with Easton gloves/helmets after being bought by Bauer. Pretty common for brands being bought by other brands (or licensing issues like Hiller's KOHO's being rebranded as CCM for his EHC Biel team) but not as much for unaffiliated brands in my experience.

30 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Same with Easton gloves/helmets after being bought by Bauer. Pretty common for brands being bought by other brands (or licensing issues like Hiller's KOHO's being rebranded as CCM for his EHC Biel team) but not as much for unaffiliated brands in my experience.

Yeah- Rbk on a D&R glove is out there, fo sho!

On ‎25‎.‎8‎.‎2017 at 6:57 PM, TitanG said:

In Hiller case his gear is exactly his previous KOHO model, only with CCM brand.

Logos are one thing - would be pretty impressive if a brand just slapped new skin on pads like the ads done overseas.

alexander-georgiev-pelasi-loisto-ottelun

What do they use? I know pad skinz sells their stuff. Is it a large pad skin with a logo printed on it? How cool would it be if Bauer or Brian's sold some whole face skin with their current model design on it. 

Check out my OD Nones... You mean OD1? No, OD NONE - as in not them.

9 hours ago, MTH said:

What do they use? I know pad skinz sells their stuff. Is it a large pad skin with a logo printed on it? How cool would it be if Bauer or Brian's sold some whole face skin with their current model design on it. 

Padskinz and padwrap are little too expensive for those adds, but still some may use padskinz/wrap. They must change that material quite often because of puck marks.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I am pretty sure that Patrick Roy wore a Brown with Koho logos on it.

John did say Roy wore one of his units when I asked him several years ago, but I never confirmed what years.

The shoulders here definitely do not fit any product CCM/Koho/Heaton was producing at the time though:

Getty Images - ASG 2001

You know I have to agree that sure does look like the outline of shoulder floaters from a Brown c/a.

Archived