Bauer 2S Pro C/A 3 month review

Mroy31

A couple people asked about the 1S/2S c/a. I only got to use my 2S a few months before a hip/muscle injury, but figured I can post some pics and my initial impressions. 

I went through a period where I bought a new c/a every year. Had a Bauer Pro Ultra TGC spec, but didn't like the adjustable arm attachments because they never felt like they sat right. Then a TotalOne NXG TGC spec, but either the arms were somehow too long or I could never get the strapping dialed in because the arms kept sliding down against my gloves. Then a Reactor 9000 TGC spec, which in retrospect there wasn't really anything wrong with it, I just wanted the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon that was on sale so I switched to that. The Vaughn was a Vaughn, exactly as everyone else describes, fits like a sweater, arm protection left a bit to be desired. 

Now to the 2S (this is becoming like those recipe posts online where the author tells you all about their family history and life story before you get to the damn recipe). I got it on sale last black Friday or boxing day and got it because I wanted to try the shiny new thing. 

Some stuff I wasn't thrilled about

- there are a couple of loose or unfinished stitches on the elbow floaters that kind of concerned me, but after 3 months they haven't loosened or changed appearance. But you kind of expect a bit better of a finish on something like this. 

- the loop on the front to tie down to your pants is too low for me, I would move it up a couple of segments on the belly pad (and I will do that when I get back to using it).

- the straps on the back are still the outdated big and small one sided clips. Would prefer something like the newer designs without the breakable parts. 

Things I really like

- I don't have the same issue with the arms that I had on the NXG, although they are arguably the same general design shape-wise

- the wrist straps are elastic now, I always had an issue with the leather ones either being too tight or too loose, so the elastic really works for me

- there's a loop built into the back that you can tie down to your pants or add a fight strap type of mod

- it feels light but so solid. It's not bulky by any means, nowhere near a Premier. It also doesn't hug you like a Vaughn though, so it's somewhere in between. 

Some final notes. I wear it tucked into a pair of SLR pants, c/a is a Sr Large, pants are XL. Maybe that loop on the front works better on a set of Bauer pants, but there's a lot of overlap when tucking into the Vaughn breezers since they sit so high. 

I would describe the fit of Bauer c/a's like an exo skeleton vs. a Vaughn that fits like a sweater. It's not going to feel like it hugs you, but I feel like the air gaps help with stingers. The stomach is fairly conforming, but it uses this 2 layer design that creates more of an air gap to help deaden shots instead of lots of thick HD foam segments. 

The arms are laced in, there aren't any extra holes to adjust them by default, but I bet you could add some. The shoulder floaters have nylon straps and no slip clips for finer adjustability. I feel like I may have overlooked this on my NXG and it might have caused my issue with the arms. Man I liked that unit. 

I wear an EcoProFoam neck guard bib under it and it doesn't get in the way of my mask when I turn my head. It's not a new NHL spec, but the shoulder floaters feel streamlined a little. 

Other than being swayed by some new strapping and maybe a custom colourway because I like to be extra apparently, I don't see myself parting with this one for a while. 

If you liked the fabled one95, I would argue this is another iteration on that design with some really modern lightweight materials. 

20200108_200906.thumb.jpg.b129cc85634076226eb4fcf8d316dde7.jpg

20200108_183727.thumb.jpg.f0e16e1972e8ebfa8d58349a62d1467f.jpg

20200108_183508.thumb.jpg.f3617fc052534a6a314693f770c16e55.jpg

20200108_183459.thumb.jpg.bf204e39767cdd4c6b8bce11c85811ca.jpg

20200108_183758.thumb.jpg.92733dc4bc6c4e4c96a700b638108afd.jpg

20200108_200837.thumb.jpg.f34b529b203300e44b47421df570dd2e.jpg

20200108_200934.thumb.jpg.db0da27efa2ca4b46cf8d27fc42d449a.jpg

20200108_201012.thumb.jpg.dcabebc5b27811d89818a4dc7d8418c1.jpg

Edited by Mroy31
More accurate title :)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

A couple people asked about the 1S/2S c/a. I only got to use my 2S a few months before a hip/muscle injury, but figured I can post some pics and my initial impressions. 

I went through a period where I bought a new c/a every year. Had a Bauer Pro Ultra TGC spec, but didn't like the adjustable arm attachments because they never felt like they sat right. Then a TotalOne NXG TGC spec, but either the arms were somehow too long or I could never get the strapping dialed in because the arms kept sliding down against my gloves. Then a Reactor 9000 TGC spec, which in retrospect there wasn't really anything wrong with it, I just wanted the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon that was on sale so I switched to that. The Vaughn was a Vaughn, exactly as everyone else describes, fits like a sweater, arm protection left a bit to be desired. 

Now to the 2S (this is becoming like those recipe posts online where the author tells you all about their family history and life story before you get to the damn recipe). I got it on sale last black Friday or boxing day and got it because I wanted to try the shiny new thing. 

Some stuff I wasn't thrilled about

- there are a couple of loose or unfinished stitches on the elbow floaters that kind of concerned me, but after 3 months they haven't loosened or changed appearance. But you kind of expect a bit better of a finish on something like this. 

- the loop on the front to tie down to your pants is too low for me, I would move it up a couple of segments on the belly pad (and I will do that when I get back to using it).

- the straps on the back are still the outdated big and small one sided clips. Would prefer something like the newer designs without the breakable parts. 

Things I really like

- I don't have the same issue with the arms that I had on the NXG, although they are arguably the same general design shape-wise

- the wrist straps are elastic now, I always had an issue with the leather ones either being too tight or too loose, so the elastic really works for me

- there's a loop built into the back that you can tie down to your pants or add a fight strap type of mod

- it feels light but so solid. It's not bulky by any means, nowhere near a Premier. It also doesn't hug you like a Vaughn though, so it's somewhere in between. 

Some final notes. I wear it tucked into a pair of SLR pants, c/a is a Sr Large, pants are XL. Maybe that loop on the front works better on a set of Bauer pants, but there's a lot of overlap when tucking into the Vaughn breezers since they sit so high. 

I would describe the fit of Bauer c/a's like an exo skeleton vs. a Vaughn that fits like a sweater. It's not going to feel like it hugs you, but I feel like the air gaps help with stingers. The stomach is fairly conforming, but it uses this 2 layer design that creates more of an air gap to help deaden shots instead of lots of thick HD foam segments. 

The arms are laced in, there aren't any extra holes to adjust them by default, but I bet you could add some. The shoulder floaters have nylon straps and no slip clips for finer adjustability. I feel like I may have overlooked this on my NXG and it might have caused my issue with the arms. Man I liked that unit. 

I wear an EcoProFoam neck guard bib under it and it doesn't get in the way of my mask when I turn my head. It's not a new NHL spec, but the shoulder floaters feel streamlined a little. 

Other than being swayed by some new strapping and maybe a custom colourway because I like to be extra apparently, I don't see myself parting with this one for a while. 

If you liked the fabled one95, I would argue this is another iteration on that design with some really modern lightweight materials. 

20200108_200906.thumb.jpg.b129cc85634076226eb4fcf8d316dde7.jpg

20200108_183727.thumb.jpg.f0e16e1972e8ebfa8d58349a62d1467f.jpg

20200108_183508.thumb.jpg.f3617fc052534a6a314693f770c16e55.jpg

20200108_183459.thumb.jpg.bf204e39767cdd4c6b8bce11c85811ca.jpg

20200108_183758.thumb.jpg.92733dc4bc6c4e4c96a700b638108afd.jpg

20200108_200837.thumb.jpg.f34b529b203300e44b47421df570dd2e.jpg

20200108_200934.thumb.jpg.db0da27efa2ca4b46cf8d27fc42d449a.jpg

20200108_201012.thumb.jpg.dcabebc5b27811d89818a4dc7d8418c1.jpg

Ultra Sonic has a completely new arm design... does that sway you at all?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Ultra Sonic has a completely new arm design... does that sway you at all?

I currently have no gripes about the arms on the 2S, so I don't think it would instantly sway me.  But I'll have to see what the new design is. 

I'd like for them to update the back strapping similar to the Vapors, or at least do something like they did with the Reactor where it was 2 clips but they were inside a padded pocket and out of harms way mostly.  I honestly don't know what the tiny top strap does on the Supremes.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Hate to bring up old threads but how’s the chest for protection and what level are you using it in? The G4 is a bit bulky for my taste

That's most important. I had the nxg and felt very protected but after 4 years and a bruise I had to change. These units didn't feel protective to me and playing all year I needed to be sure. Went Premier beefed up. 

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Drinking one Koolaid after the other eh? ;)

I certainly try to. Trying to figure out my next chest because my G4 Pro is somehow simultaneously bulky and small. Plus I already got 2s pro pads and gloves why not complete the collection?😂 
For reference the other chest I’m looking at are Kenesky, Optik 2 (retail model), 1X, 2X, and maybe “mystery vapor name” (hyperlite) if it’s as good as 2x

Edited by ThatCarGuy

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I certainly try to. Trying to figure out my next chest because my G4 Pro is somehow simultaneously bulky and small. Plus I already got 2s pro pads and gloves why not complete the collection?😂 
For reference the other chest I’m looking at are Kenesky, Optik 2 (retail model), 1X, 2X, and maybe “mystery vapor name” (hyperlite) if it’s as good as 2x

I love my Optik 2 Pro (custom colors no other mods) and came from a Warrior GT Sr before. The only complaint is it took a while to break in to where it feels as mobile as my GT but I don’t feel any hard gut shots like I started to in my GT. Almost went with a G5 Pro+ but I ordered the optik pants and chest last year before they came out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I can give you one donut-sized reason not go Kenesky

On 11/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Don't know what level you play but 2X isn't a tank. You will feel puck on the arms and belly and it could sting even - not very often but still. 

6 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Don't know what level you play but 2X isn't a tank. You will feel puck on the arms and belly and it could sting even - not very often but still. 

Currently playing the equivalent of junior b so I need something protective. Never been a huge fan of ccm chests but axis actually looks ok so I’ll add that to my list of options 

edit: completely forgot I didn’t like the wrists on 2x pro they were uncomfortable 

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Currently playing the equivalent of junior b so I need something protective. Never been a huge fan of ccm chests but axis actually looks ok so I’ll add that to my list of options 

edit: completely forgot I didn’t like the wrists on 2x pro they were uncomfortable 

If you can fit in this, buy it.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-chest-arm-protectors/2679610-ccm-pro-return-nhl-spec-chest-protector-size-large

• Like 1