Confirmed: NHL Season Suspended Due to Coronavirus

SaveByRichter35

Not sure how long this will last, and unlikely that playoffs will be cancelled (since the run through to what? Like, the end of August now? LOL!), but as a fan of hockey history, I immediately took exception to this statement:

You understand that this is a world health crisis, but we have never gone through anything like this and nothing that has affected the game like this," Tippett said”

Ah! but Dave - you’re forgetting about 1919, when the Stanley Cup finals were canceled - and no Champion declared - due to Spanish Influenza.

So here we are, one hundred (and 1) years later, and in eerily similar circumstances. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Confirmed: NHL Season Suspended Due to Coronavirus
On 3/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, Griff1604 said:

I've heard if the season doesn't resume, the Bruins win the cup. Is this true?

Oh, for sure - but for fun, check out what happened to all four top seeds in last year's Stanley Cup and get back to us...

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Blues finally win the cup and then this happens.

Damn you Blues! Damn you!

The blame is actually Toronto.  I have to find it, but, I saw a graphic that every time a Toronto team won a championship some bullshit like this happened.  I don't know how true it is though.  Will post if I come across it again.

I haven't seen anything official stating this so this is one of those take it with a grain of salt type of things.  With that said, yesterday Joe Buck was on NY's ESPN Radio 98.7FM.  His daughter is dating an NHL player and he told him that the NHL informed him that if the season can restart it will be one week of training camp and then straight to playoffs.

• 2 months later...

NHL moving to voluntary, small-group training as Phase 2 of return...

The NHL is ready to move to Phase 2 of its plan to return to play, and it will soon allow players to train in small groups at team facilities, according to a memo circulated to teams over the weekend.

Phase 1 involved self-quarantine for players and hockey staff and began on March 12.

The new protocols would allow for a maximum of six players to train at the team facilities at once. On-ice sessions are for players only, with no coaches or other team personnel allowed on the ice. Players must wear face coverings at all times, except when they are exercising or on the ice.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29219319/nhl-moving-voluntary-small-group-training-phase-2-return

Archived