Smith glove refurbishment, added a Warrior replaceable palm liner

saitagoalie

Short story: I replaced the original nash palm in my Smith glove with nylon & velcro and added a Warrior replaceable palm.

I originally got my custom Smith set in 2009 or 2010 I think. I still play with the catcher and blocker.. The pads I sold years ago unfortunately 😭 The blocker has been re-palmed once, but until this year I hadn't done much with the catcher. Just added some jenpro patches here and there and relaced the pocket a few times. The nash on the palm had gotten pretty beat up. Some holes and the smell was getting pretty bad.. Washing the glove didn't help. 

Starting situation

image.png.93cb7065e278861ee7b0bc0bb04e3d44.png

In the pic below you can see my first attempt to re-do the backhand with nash-like material.. Didn't work very well. Then I saw someone selling the Warrior liner on FB and I though why not try using that :) 

image.jpeg.b2a5bc85141bee3ca4b69105729519ff.jpeg

Rebuild of the backhand 

I re-used old material as much as I could. As I don't have too much extra jenpro or nylon playing around.

image.png.22dd4de74511d7d873531b85bf9e802b.png

Built a new padded "floating" wrist strap

image.png.83ea821dad5d030ac77fe55013d3bbb4.png

Shortening the replacement palm fingers

Other than the fingers being a bit long, the removable liner matched the break of the Smith glove really well.. Maybe the 60 deg palm would be a slightly better match, but I got this liner 2nd hand for 10e so I just went with it :) 

image.png.8e68b7671f622c92625dd0a998ce934a.png

image.jpeg.0f7b4703227546df9f593f28759e628c.jpeg

Putting the whole thing back together

image.png.010d356733bf7e7f9067f0bb95ea6fad.png

Project completed

image.png.5dada5159729db44b3993793895f534d.png

image.png.378a229b187b8e5fedb647889bd088c9.png

image.png.fc68bbb29b106f0394d609b83bf4abc5.png

During this refurbishment I also straightened out the finger curl, changed some plastic inside the T-part. Later on I also added blue Padskinz to the wear spots in the T. Still to do it the edge of the fingers, it needs a nicer patch than the current nylon one.. The leather has ripped underneath.

I did play with the glove a few times before the corona-times hit. The feel is different and took some time to get used to, but I like it. I also post my gear and projects in Instagram, my account is saitagoalie. Give me a follow if you like.

Nice work! I also had a Smith (1000) glove and it felt massive on my hand. When I got my Warrior GT, the size difference was Incredible, as was the weight and feel on my hand. The GT feels more like my earlier days when gloves were smaller in diameter which I prefer. I have a large palm but smaller fingers so the GT is a perfect fit. The Smith was floating a lot on my hand no matter how tight I tried to make it without hindering proper closure.

Do you find that the Ritual insert offsets the balance?

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Nice work! I also had a Smith (1000) glove and it felt massive on my hand. When I got my Warrior GT, the size difference was Incredible, as was the weight and feel on my hand. The GT feels more like my earlier days when gloves were smaller in diameter which I prefer. I have a large palm but smaller fingers so the GT is a perfect fit. The Smith was floating a lot on my hand no matter how tight I tried to make it without hindering proper closure.

Do you find that the Ritual insert offsets the balance?

Was your Smith old NHL spec size? I have a second Smith glove that was my back-up during this project, bought it second hand. See the picture below, I'm pretty sure the white back up-Smith is old NHL spec haha. :D The feel is quite different compared to the smaller blue glove. I personally love the feel of the Smith gloves, but the smaller one feels a lot better.. Even though the break etc. is the same.

Every time I go to a hockey shop I try on the Warrior gloves hoping I would like them.. They are crazy light. But the break feels different and the thumb is flatter vs the Smith.. and the Warriors feel small for some reason. Would be really nice to try one on ice though.. Maybe next season :) 

I don't think the Ritual insert offsets the balance. I just got to be careful that I put the liner in the right position and adjust the straps correctly,. If I just slap the liner in there and don't pay attention to the settings, the glove feels weird and might not close as nicely as it should. The biggest difference in feel is caused by the velcro. It now feels like there is more "air" between my hand and the glove. 

20191001_202859.jpg.3df7896287f2cc3911eca5eff64e5627.jpg

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments and comments!

1 hour ago, saitagoalie said:

Was your Smith old NHL spec size? I have a second Smith glove that was my back-up during this project, bought it second hand. See the picture below, I'm pretty sure the white back up-Smith is old NHL spec haha. :D The feel is quite different compared to the smaller blue glove. I personally love the feel of the Smith gloves, but the smaller one feels a lot better.. Even though the break etc. is the same.

Every time I go to a hockey shop I try on the Warrior gloves hoping I would like them.. They are crazy light. But the break feels different and the thumb is flatter vs the Smith.. and the Warriors feel small for some reason. Would be really nice to try one on ice though.. Maybe next season :) 

I don't think the Ritual insert offsets the balance. I just got to be careful that I put the liner in the right position and adjust the straps correctly,. If I just slap the liner in there and don't pay attention to the settings, the glove feels weird and might not close as nicely as it should. The biggest difference in feel is caused by the velcro. It now feels like there is more "air" between my hand and the glove. 

Have you tried the GT2 yet?  I love Warrior but have not liked the way their gloves have felt until I tried on the GT2, in which they changed the thumb angle a bit and now that will probably be my next glove.

3 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

Mine was old spec. It served me well but I needed something that suited my hand better.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:42 AM, dreadlocked1 said:

Have you tried the GT2 yet?  I love Warrior but have not liked the way their gloves have felt until I tried on the GT2, in which they changed the thumb angle a bit and now that will probably be my next glove.

I think I have, didn't like it.. I have to go and try one again :D 

Archived