Is my eflex 4 glove defective?

HOZEHEAD

I have had my set of eflex 4s for a year now and the glove still closes terribly, I have worked it in and baked it what seems like a dozen times and its still very stiff. I think the problem is the palm, the two spot that have the D30 contact each other when I close the glove so it doesn't even close fully. My question is if this is a defect or just a poor design over all. Would love to hear your guys thoughts.

95462850_359016408391872_6000541316532928512_n.jpg

Yea, something isn't right with your glove. CCM gloves aren't that great to begin with, but every CCM i've tried on in store has closed better than that.

Looks like the lower portion of the glove is where most of the issue lies. I know @Hills had an issue with his 600 break and had to "crush the foams" in that area to get it to close correctly. Granted, I still don't think it was ever as bad as what you're showing. 

Heres a picture of it open. I tried @Hills method before once but still no luck on improvement, I almost feel like the D30 area is supposed to have a hard foam there that is either weak or missing and thats why the area kind of folds in. Glad to hear im not crazy thinking this glove is off, once things go back to normal I will show the store the pictures and maybe CCM will do something considering its a custom order.

95657255_232085934892093_6864598563649748992_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Is that a 590 or a 600? 

If you want a comparison, here is my CCM 2.9 590 Glove. (with D3O) that hasn't hit the ice yet and I haven't done anything but open and close it during the day at work. 

95683823_741814906555989_4292097093910134784_n.jpg.3595215b0aedf4babb00dde35ed0e8e3.jpg

Wow yea I need to use two hands to close mine like that, mines even a 590 too

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Is that a 590 or a 600? 

If you want a comparison, here is my CCM 2.9 590 Glove. (with D3O) that hasn't hit the ice yet and I haven't done anything but open and close it during the day at work. 

95683823_741814906555989_4292097093910134784_n.jpg.3595215b0aedf4babb00dde35ed0e8e3.jpg

Tough days at the office eh Coop?

19 hours ago, HOZEHEAD said:

I have had my set of eflex 4s for a year now and the glove still closes terribly, I have worked it in and baked it what seems like a dozen times and its still very stiff. I think the problem is the palm, the two spot that have the D30 contact each other when I close the glove so it doesn't even close fully. My question is if this is a defect or just a poor design over all. Would love to hear your guys thoughts.

95462850_359016408391872_6000541316532928512_n.jpg

I'd say that baking it a dozen times hasn't helped either... has likely just made the issue worse. The glove break in fix that @dualshowman linked might help... can't make it worse anyway.

19 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, something isn't right with your glove. CCM gloves aren't that great to begin with, but every CCM i've tried on in store has closed better than that.

Perhaps just my experience... but I've used Lefevbre/Koho/Reebok/CCM gloves for about as long as I can remember and never once had an issue w/ glove break or much of anything else for that matter. So when you say CCM gloves aren't that great to begin with I scratch my head trying to figure out why you'd say that they aren't that great to begin with. Mind elaborating?

16 hours ago, dualshowman said:

Maybe there's something in this thread for you? Let us know.

Its possible the stick method may work, I have put a puck in the crease before to push the bulging portions back and it has helped temporarily but once its fully dry it goes right backto normal, this has also been a problem since I got the glove rather than this problem developing. I put a stick in the crease after hot water so I am just going to let it sit for 24 hours now.

36 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'd say that baking it a dozen times hasn't helped either... has likely just made the issue worse. The glove break in fix that @dualshowman linked might help... can't make it worse anyway.

Perhaps just my experience... but I've used Lefevbre/Koho/Reebok/CCM gloves for about as long as I can remember and never once had an issue w/ glove break or much of anything else for that matter. So when you say CCM gloves aren't that great to begin with I scratch my head trying to figure out why you'd say that they aren't that great to begin with. Mind elaborating?

The problem has existed since I got it, the repeated hot water treatments have been desperation to resolve the issue which has helped a bit but not fixed it.

58 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

When I say they're not great, it's more of a subjective thing. I don't have the most extensive on ice experience with Lefebvre gloves, just a few ice times years ago, but their gloves always felt kind of off to me. My recent purchase of my 590 is me wanting to give the most popular glove another fair chance. (plus it was on sale). 

As far as non first hand experience: easily cracked cuffs over many iterations, some QC issues (see thread), lagging in tech, etc. Not saying that other brands don't encounter these issues to the same overall percentage, but, like the QC issues with the 1S, it does seem to rear it's head more with CCM and over a pretty long period of time. 

I honestly feel that CCM gloves are probably the weakest for an overall score from all of the big players in the game. (Quality, Tech, Feel, Aesthetics) 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:01 AM, HOZEHEAD said:

Heres a picture of it open. I tried @Hills method before once but still no luck on improvement, I almost feel like the D30 area is supposed to have a hard foam there that is either weak or missing and thats why the area kind of folds in. Glad to hear im not crazy thinking this glove is off, once things go back to normal I will show the store the pictures and maybe CCM will do something considering its a custom order.

95657255_232085934892093_6864598563649748992_n.jpg

I haven't seen an opened up EF4, but I have seen what goes into an EF1 and EF2.  These gloves generally have a layer of D30 on top, followed by a mixture of foam and what looks like felt fabric in that area.  It's possible some of the foams have shifted in the break. If any layers were missing, it would be a heck of a lot easier to close.  Based on your closure picture in the original post, it does look like the thumb side of your palm is collapsing.

You mentioned it was a custom order.  Did you get game ready, pro, or practice?

I think Jason Terio at Simmons is taking repair orders now.  You can always reach out to him to see what he thinks.  Every piece of gear I've sent to him to work on has come back better than new, and now that he's fully armed with equipment they got from purchasing Simmons, he should be even better.

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I haven't seen an opened up EF4, but I have seen what goes into an EF1 and EF2.  These gloves generally have a layer of D30 on top, followed by a mixture of foam and what looks like felt fabric in that area.  It's possible some of the foams have shifted in the break. If any layers were missing, it would be a heck of a lot easier to close.  Based on your closure picture in the original post, it does look like the thumb side of your palm is collapsing.

I think Jason Terio at Simmons is taking repair orders now.  You can always reach out to him to see what he thinks.  Every piece of gear I've sent to him to work on has come back better than new, and now that he's fully armed with equipment they got from purchasing Simmons, he should be even better.

I tried the stick method and it seems to have helped for now, I have had similar success with the pucks I have put in the palm but it goes back to normal when the glove dries out. I will let you know if anything changes!

I considered doing some sort of repair thing but I ended up ordering a set of Ultrasonics because I wasn't really a fan of the pads sliding either. So there isn't really a point in doing that now

22 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

When I say they're not great, it's more of a subjective thing. I don't have the most extensive on ice experience with Lefebvre gloves, just a few ice times years ago, but their gloves always felt kind of off to me. My recent purchase of my 590 is me wanting to give the most popular glove another fair chance. (plus it was on sale). 

As far as non first hand experience: easily cracked cuffs over many iterations, some QC issues (see thread), lagging in tech, etc. Not saying that other brands don't encounter these issues to the same overall percentage, but, like the QC issues with the 1S, it does seem to rear it's head more with CCM and over a pretty long period of time. 

I honestly feel that CCM gloves are probably the weakest for an overall score from all of the big players in the game. (Quality, Tech, Feel, Aesthetics) 

I've had the cracked cuff issue on a couple... but perhaps it's also the fact tat I have used them for so long I've become accustomed to some of what you see as shortcomings. It's my normal if you will. The tech argument is sorta weak IMO... I mean there is D30... but at the end of the day you don't need it to slide well or produce bigger rebounds... you just need it to catch the puck. My 2X Pro glove was actually slightly heavier than my previous EF glove... so weight piece to me is sorta negligible. 

I think the biggest reason I am even writing on this is because of the 580 break... no one else produces a glove that feels the same. 

On 5/7/2020 at 6:43 AM, BadAngle41 said:

I've had the cracked cuff issue on a couple... but perhaps it's also the fact tat I have used them for so long I've become accustomed to some of what you see as shortcomings. It's my normal if you will. The tech argument is sorta weak IMO... I mean there is D30... but at the end of the day you don't need it to slide well or produce bigger rebounds... you just need it to catch the puck. My 2X Pro glove was actually slightly heavier than my previous EF glove... so weight piece to me is sorta negligible. 

I think the biggest reason I am even writing on this is because of the 580 break... no one else produces a glove that feels the same. 

I'd say getting a reputation for regular cracking cuffs is something that needs to be addressed. Especially for a company like CCM's size. 

Either way, a lot of my gripes with CCM gloves comes to their feel and how it doesn't seem to change. My CCM blocker feels atrocious compared to my Warrior. The stitching in the index finger area seems hashed together and bunches and pulls all over the place, the fabric seems to all stitch together just at the index knuckle too. I'd argue a lot of the tech that goes into a blocker comes down to it's overall function and weight/protection. 

Ultimately, I think the CCM gloves are suffering from the same thing that's plaguing Vaughn. Their userbase is a "legacy" fanbase and is very large. You have lots of guys that use these brands because of that familiar feeling and because of that, evolving the lines becomes a very tough thing to balance due to potentially alienating a large portion of your customer base. 

15 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd say getting a reputation for regular cracking cuffs is something that needs to be addressed. Especially for a company like CCM's size. 

Either way, a lot of my gripes with CCM gloves comes to their feel and how it doesn't seem to change. My CCM blocker feels atrocious compared to my Warrior. The stitching in the index finger area seems hashed together and bunches and pulls all over the place, the fabric seems to all stitch together just at the index knuckle too. I'd argue a lot of the tech that goes into a blocker comes down to it's overall function and weight/protection. 

Ultimately, I think the CCM gloves are suffering from the same thing that's plaguing Vaughn. Their userbase is a "legacy" fanbase and is very large. You have lots of guys that use these brands because of that familiar feeling and because of that, evolving the lines becomes a very tough thing to balance due to potentially alienating a large portion of your customer base. 

+1

I´ve hated CCM catchers and pads since RBK P1. Basically because those are stiff, bulky and thick. My own ice experience with CCM/RBK is almost zero because CCM catchers just feel odd. I´ve worked in hockey store 15 years and not even once having feeling that Lefebvre catcher could work for me. But I gotta admit that Eflex4 pads seems to be super nice. 

I bought a 2nd hand Rbk glove that was just like this.. I was able to get the glove to close better by taking it apart and adding lacing to the break. I have some videos and pictures on my Instagram account (@saitagoalie). I can post pictures here later.

I don't know why this happens to Rbk/CCM gloves. I've wondered if something during the break-in process causes this. But I always see this problem with gloves that have been used a lot.. So maybe over time the glove loosens up too much which causes the plastics to interfere at the break, making the glove impossible to close.

The design of Koho 590/Rbk/CCM glove hasn't really changed at all over the years. Basically just different T's, nash in the palm, D30 and one piece cuff.

EDIT: And I would check if the plastic has cracked.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:42 PM, Chenner29 said:

Glove is now dried out and right back to the terrible closure, I am going to bring it into the store when things open up again but at this point is has kind of fouled me against CCM. Its a game ready palm which I was hoping would result in a decent closure.

12 hours ago, saitagoalie said:

I bought a 2nd hand Rbk glove that was just like this.. I was able to get the glove to close better by taking it apart and adding lacing to the break. I have some videos and pictures on my Instagram account (@saitagoalie). I can post pictures here later.

I don't know why this happens to Rbk/CCM gloves. I've wondered if something during the break-in process causes this. But I always see this problem with gloves that have been used a lot.. So maybe over time the glove loosens up too much which causes the plastics to interfere at the break, making the glove impossible to close.

The design of Koho 590/Rbk/CCM glove hasn't really changed at all over the years. Basically just different T's, nash in the palm, D30 and one piece cuff.

EDIT: And I would check if the plastic has cracked.

I will take a look at your account, mine came like this out of the box but I had hoped it was just part of the break in process but guess I was wrong

Archived