True Two Piece with Step Holder vs Vertexx Holder

I'm getting a pair of True Two-Piece skates and I'm not sure whether to go with the normal Step Holder with Step Steel or a Vertexx Holder with LS 5G blades. I've been in Bauer x900's for 3 years now and I feel like the Vertexx holder will give me more familiarity. However, the guy who I'm ordering through told me that the Step Steel blades are such higher quality that most customers opt for that instead of the Vertexx. I'd love to hear others experiences with the Step holder and blades or the Vertexx holder and LS 5G blades.

I can help a little with this, as I am in a pair of G1 Trues with Vertexx holder.

IMO - unless they have improved the quality of their boot, you are better off going with a Bauer custom boot.  The fit is great on my Trues, but the finish and overall quality isn't there.  You'll also be taking on a bit extra burden by ordering Trues (they do not sell boot only anymore, you will have to sell the True holder and steel yourself at a loss)

If you are set on going with the True boot, a few of the sharpening guys I talk to say Tydan is a better quality steel than the Bauer.  They do NOT sell Tydan steel at this shop.  So go IMO Bauer holder, Tydan steel. 

Honestly, if I were starting from scratch I'd be seriously considering custom AS3's, as I feel the XS holder is the best on the market and I like CCM skates better than Bauer right now.  But if he's already got True on order I can say that my Gen 2 True boots definitely show better finish that the Gen 1's I saw.  There are still a couple minor things that make it pretty clear these aren't being mass produced at the same level as Bauer or CCM, but they definitely don't look like they were built in a shed anymore either. 

Personally I really didn't like my Tydan steel.  I felt the Step I had previously held an edge better, even though the Tydan I had was supposedly DLC.  LS5G is pretty close to the Tydan IMHO.  Personally as far as steel goes I'd buy whichever of those you can get a deal on as they are both better than LS3G.  Supposedly Bauer has a new steel coming later this year and I'l probably try that out.

13 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Honestly, if I were starting from scratch I'd be seriously considering custom AS3's, as I feel the XS holder is the best on the market and I like CCM skates better than Bauer right now.  But if he's already got True on order I can say that my Gen 2 True boots definitely show better finish that the Gen 1's I saw.  There are still a couple minor things that make it pretty clear these aren't being mass produced at the same level as Bauer or CCM, but they definitely don't look like they were built in a shed anymore either. 

Personally I really didn't like my Tydan steel.  I felt the Step I had previously held an edge better, even though the Tydan I had was supposedly DLC.  LS5G is pretty close to the Tydan IMHO.  Personally as far as steel goes I'd buy whichever of those you can get a deal on as they are both better than LS3G.  Supposedly Bauer has a new steel coming later this year and I'l probably try that out.

CCM is just not an option for me. I tried on the FT2's and hated them. I was up in the air on True Two-Piece's or Bauer 2xPro's. My feet are about a size different so it's hard trying to find skates that are comfortable. I've always worn Vapors/Reactors but like I said, my feet are different now then they were 3 years ago when I bought my last pair. My gear rep has a pair of True's and he said he loves them a lot. I've seen so many people complain about True's durability so I've been a little bit pushed off as once the season starts in August (hopefully) I'll be skating 6+ times a week for the rest of the season. I'd like these skates to last me two years and I've just been really worried about durability after reading everyone's complaints. He says that it's because people don't take good care of them but who knows. I was then thinking custom 2xPro's because I've heard they're starting to get closer with their fit and that their durability is so much better, but my rep said that he's never gotten a custom skate order for Bauer, but every single one is for True. This leaves me torn, and I go back and forth everyday on it.

I had the same issue with my local shop, the rep did a lot of Trues but didnt really have experience with custom Bauers

My feed are off the charts wide, see my scan:

If you are worried about the fit of the custom Bauers I wouldnt be, Ive tried both True and Bauer customs now and they both fit perfectly

(Just as reference, I have to wear a 8.5 EE retail Bauer boot in order to fit my width)

Like someone else mentioned, pick the blade/holder that you like and go from there.  If you like the CCM holder go with CCM, if you like Vertrexx go with Bauer. 

The custom fit is nothing like off the shelf 

image.thumb.png.5738890d9e3c7abe58232f715efd8701.png

@GriffD31 @kudot my feet are messed right up! I have a small foot, and wide, not to mention my bunion on the right foot.  I had 11k skates for maybe 6 or 7 years (side too big probably) until I said to my self it's time to go new and cowlingless skate.  So, I put up a grand for 2x pros.  Went with the 6.5 EE because it fit, but I had issues, pain at the bottom of the left foot, and my right foot numb after I took off the skates, not enough volume for my sausage foot, it just didn't close good enough, I also had superfeet insoles which helped a bit but not enough.

After reading reviews on Trues like you both mentioned, no thanks, the durability issue looks huge, I want skates for the next 3-5 years, I play twice a week all year.  Even though the 2X was a nice skate, and yes I can go custom I went with CCM custom program.

I was lucky to have a rep in the store to help out, and it was time to go custom.  First, I put on some pairs in store to make sure that some skates can be molded to my foot, BUT, no luck.  I have to go full custom for my feet.  I was excited for AS3s skate (it even recommended it on the scan) BUT after talking to CCM, they suggested I go with the FT2 boot because they can raise the eyeleds up more vs the AS3s, so my foot has more volume for closure and comfort.  I was disappointment, but, they know what they are talking about (I hope), they gave the store a call and suggested this for my foot type.  So, I had to go with it, another thing, I'm a fan of the 4MM  blade and CCM only provides this with step black steel.  There is an up charge on it.

I will let you know how this goes when I get the skate, should take 1-2 weeks I suspect or a little more.  The cost is HUGE here in Toronto for this.  But, keeping my fingers crossed.  

We may think that we have the right size, the bigger we go and it fits, but it can give you issues in other areas.  If your foot is messed like mine, go custom, and to a good store that know their stuff.  

On 6/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, GriffD31 said:

My gear rep has a pair of True's and he said he loves them a lot. I've seen so many people complain about True's durability so I've been a little bit pushed off as once the season starts in August (hopefully) I'll be skating 6+ times a week for the rest of the season. I'd like these skates to last me two years and I've just been really worried about durability after reading everyone's complaints. He says that it's because people don't take good care of them but who knows.

I'm pushing two years on mine.  The boot is holding up, but the Lundy loop in the back (which I have used maybe once) is coming off.  The bottom of one of my boots was not flat when they came in, so I had to have the outside portion shimmed a bit to make sure the holder squared up correctly. 

What does taking care of your skates mean?  I'd qualify that statement first.  I have never owned a pair of skates that I had to baby to the point that True recommends (unlacing the skate, taking out the footbed...etc).  It's an asinine cop out. I've worn Graf and Bauer my entire life and never had to do any extra work to make sure they lasted over two years.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, GriffD31 said:

I was then thinking custom 2xPro's because I've heard they're starting to get closer with their fit and that their durability is so much better, but my rep said that he's never gotten a custom skate order for Bauer, but every single one is for True. This leaves me torn, and I go back and forth everyday on it.

18 hours ago, kudot said:

I had the same issue with my local shop, the rep did a lot of Trues but didnt really have experience with custom Bauers

Think about sample size here too.  As you know, True is custom only, while CCM and Bauer have stock options which are made to fit 95% (this is 100% an arbitrary number) of the people out there. 

Breaking it down numbers wise out of 100, let's assume an even split between CCM, Bauer, True with a 5% custom rate...

33 customers buy CCM - 1.65 customers buys a custom CCM boot

33 customers buy Bauer - 1.65 customers buys a custom Bauer boot

33 customers buy True - all 33 customers will buy a custom True boot.

Just because a company only produces a custom option does not mean they are the only option for custom.

Archived