Gear Contracts

TheGoalNet

One of the most common topics that pops up on the forums is gear deals. It's a black box for most of the public and something I have signed some NDAs and can't discuss specifics on...

However, it's a fascinating topic and we can discuss certain aspects of it. In summary, no one is making millions in gear goalie gear endorsements! 😂

image.png.0c4940a88e8880953005c6baeaa89701.png

Carey Price is the only goalie in the NHL’s Top10 earners. According to Forbes, TOTAL COMBINED endorsements from CCM, Nike, and UA (Carey’s agent must be gold. how do you get Nike and UA???) is about ~$500k annually. That’s only 3% of his total earnings.

image.png.fc5930e60fcac16f0904b900d6afc892.png

By contrast, McDavid makes ~$4.5mio annually in endorsements from Adidas, CCM, Bio Steel, Upper Deck, CIBC, etc. Thats’s 25% of his total income. Comparing Carey to #5 in the NBA, James Harden, highlights how low the marketing value or endorsement pay scale is for NHL guys.

image.png.14705cfbb1dd32a5e155b44bfddef72c.png

Harden earns $17mio annually in endorsements alone, which is more than Carey’s total income. In context, that is 35% of Harden’s total income.

What does this data tell us?

1. NHL endorsements and/or marketing agreements with equipment brands are nothing compared to other sports.

2. Given the low value of an equipment deal compared to a goalie’s salary, no one would ever waste their time forcing themself into gear they’re not comfortable with.

3. Even if a guy does have a gear deal it’s probably low enough in value that a gear competitor could match it. This means that a gear contract ALONE probably wouldn’t sway the typical goalie into 1 brand or another. They could probably get similar deals from Brand X or Brand Y. They have trust and believe in the product. The one exception to this point is a veteran that is used to getting a contract and then is not renewed. Whether it’s pride on the goalie’s part or the agent in his ear, there can be “spite” changes.

Brian's offered me a sum of money NOT to wear their gear... but I wear it anyway ;)

...Hockeyfeed says Bauer and others pay Hank almost $1 million in endorsements... but yea, I agree, chickenfeed compared to other sports..especially NBA, those guys make out like bandits..

Henrik Lundqvist

Endorsements: $900,000

Salary: $9.5 million

On 8/12/2020 at 4:04 PM, estogoalie said:

Brian's offered me a sum of money NOT to wear their gear... but I wear it anyway ;)

...Hockeyfeed says Bauer and others pay Hank almost $1 million in endorsements... but yea, I agree, chickenfeed compared to other sports..especially NBA, those guys make out like bandits..

Thanks for this other source. Had not seen that. Keep in mind, that's "endorsements". Hank has a clothing line, Tag Heuer watch deal, etc... So if that's total, that could mean Bauer is paying him 400,000-500,000 tops sorta thing?

Replica Tag Heuer Aquaracer Quartz HENRIK LUNDQVIST ...

TAG Heuer | Henrik Lundqvist - Don't Crack Under Pressure ...

The Henrik Lundqvist Blog: HQ Henrik Lundqvist Bread ...

The Henrik Lundqvist Blog: Henrik Lundqvist Appears in a ...

19 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

The best is even after a 40+ save performance, Hank takes his mask off and his hair is perfect. PERFECT!

I'd love that trick for a post round of golf. Pop off the cap to have a beer and my hair is out of control

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pro Tip: Shave your head.

No more bad hair days ever

True story. That was initial quarantine plan, but I did a 180 and let the salad go a bit. Good chance I skip a normal haircut and go to a buzz whenever it's time

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

True story. That was initial quarantine plan, but I did a 180 and let the salad go a bit. Good chance I skip a normal haircut and go to a buzz whenever it's time

Just think, get your own clippers and cut your own hair.

All that haircut money can easily be amassed to finally buying a set of Warrior pads. ;) 

Yea, really, with Hanks dew, he should definitely be hawking hair gel or something. Well, maybe he'll get a hair deal somewhere next year when the Rangers put him out to pasture and he needs some cash for a new Ferrari or something. Unless he pulls a Brodeur and plays like 5 games with some other team before realizing it's time to hang em up. Hope he doesn't do that. Altho I can understand the flame is still burning. But then there's always a midnight league somewhere for those over-the-hill types who just can't stop (like me).

19 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Yea, really, with Hanks dew, he should definitely be hawking hair gel or something. Well, maybe he'll get a hair deal somewhere next year when the Rangers put him out to pasture and he needs some cash for a new Ferrari or something. Unless he pulls a Brodeur and plays like 5 games with some other team before realizing it's time to hang em up. Hope he doesn't do that. Altho I can understand the flame is still burning. But then there's always a midnight league somewhere for those over-the-hill types who just can't stop (like me).

You mean like this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, estogoalie said:

Maserati, not Ferrari.

Archived