Colored Blade holders

Short version:  Remove the blades, and dunk the holder in a container of dye just below boiling temperature for about 20 minutes. 

To do it properly you'd need to remove the holder.   I also might not dye Vertexx Edge holders, as I'm not sure if there would be any long term consequences from immersing the spring mechanism.  I wouldn't think so, but the biggest reason I haven't done this on my holders is that I'm not willing to take the chance.  True (goalie) holders don't have any moving parts and you can remove the mechanical bits from the new CCM XS holder so it should be good to go.

I know on the old board (RIP) there was a good thread where a guy did up his cowlings in orange RIT dye. Lots of back and forth (and back and forth and... ) regarding whether or not this compromised the integrity of the holder. As I recall - he didn't have any issues with it and they turned up pretty sharp/held up well. 

On 1/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, chile57 said:

I know on the old board (RIP) there was a good thread where a guy did up his cowlings in orange RIT dye. Lots of back and forth (and back and forth and... ) regarding whether or not this compromised the integrity of the holder. As I recall - he didn't have any issues with it and they turned up pretty sharp/held up well. 

I tried this method.

So the first time I recall using 2 packages of the powdered red Rit Dye with hot water. I did it on a friend's cowlings and the plastic did not fully take the color and the red turned out to be more of a magenta. He didn't complain but I could tell he wasn't happy about basically having dark pink cowlings. I tried the process again a pair of Vaughn cowlings that I wasn't using from my Vaughn skates using black and they came out very purple.

Long story short, I did feel the plastic was a bit more flexible on both pairs. The color wasn't what I was hoping for either. Before any of you bored guys decide to give this a try, I strongly suggest that you don't use this method. I should have learned my lesson that through the stupid method of that hot water to soften the closure of your glove. So, do not try it this way.

Hey Ultima,

Do you remember if you used regular RIT or RIT DyeMore?  I know for a while regular RIT would work on plastic, but they removed that ability and created a separate line for synthetics called DyeMore many years ago.   I'm curious because I haven't seen any long-term effects using Idye Poly and DyeMore on other types of plastic, but I've only had to leave things in the dye bath for 5-10 minutes to achieve the color I wanted.

Maybe if I get bored I'll whip up a batch of black dye and try it on the old True holders I have sitting around.   Putting out feelers now, anyone want to by black True holders with basically brand new StepSteel?  😀

Edited by Puckstopper

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Hey Ultima,

Do you remember if you used regular RIT or RIT DyeMore?  I know for a while regular RIT would work on plastic, but they removed that ability and created a separate line for synthetics called DyeMore many years ago.   I'm curious because I haven't seen any long-term effects using Idye Poly and DyeMore on other types of plastic, but I've only had to leave things in the dye bath for 5-10 minutes to achieve the color I wanted.

Maybe if I get bored I'll whip up a batch of black dye and try it on the old True holders I have sitting around.   Putting out feelers now, anyone want to by black True holders with basically brand new StepSteel?  😀

I really don't remember. It came in a box. lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...