Chest/Arm Upgrades

Chenner29

So, I am pretty OCD about how my C/A fits. 
I've been modding my C/As forever, and thought I'd show my work if anyone else is looking to try out something new....enjoy!

I posted this one in the Pro C/A thread but thought I'd share them here too.

• This is a Jonathan Bernier pro return C/A that I was lucky enough to snag on Ebay a few years ago.
    • main differences between Bernier spec and P1 spec are the arms and backplate
    • on the arms, notice it lacks the oval outside and inside elbow protection.
    • backplate is a softer material
    • from my experience, this looks like a hybrid between a P1 body and Xpulse arms and backplate.
  • I added the tie down loop on the inside belly, as well as the extra rib protection (gray pads).
  • I also added the waxed lace in the elbows, as I found they hold tension better than the standard cord (which tends to come undone).
  • Second pic shows a mod i did to the wrist to help them stay up on my forearm so they don't fall down to my wrist.
    • I used 2" wide elastic with tension (I pulled the elastic tight while I was stitching so it wants to pull in)
    • It gives much better tension than the standard 1/2-3/4" wide elastic at the wrist.
    • If i were to ever go custom, I would ask for a 2" wide elastic strap at the wrist instead of the standard width.

59fea482af00e_P1backside.thumb.jpg.059595e5afcf40545506b819ed8fc739.jpg59fea4e2bf7ee_P1wrist.thumb.jpg.df2f21642e726d106308df0c1bcba446.jpg

My brother brought over his secondhand Passau c/a this evening and asked me to do some work to it.

It's a G1 which lacks the upper arm protection.  Here is a before shot.

• You can see a pretty big gap in protection between the bicep pad and the shoulder circles.
  • He said he had a couple shots last week that rose up and caught him in the upper arm/shoulder area

Passau-Before.thumb.jpg.06aed58265a447c1f54a1e527adc33b7.jpg

We ended up grabbing some LD foam and nylon from a local crafts store and this is the result.

• All the stitching was done by hand with a sewing awl.  Would have been a lot quicker if I knew how to use a machine to sew the nylon shut.
  • I stitched one of the narrow sides shut, then the long side and flipped it inside out like a sock to get the "clean look"
  • Next time, I think I would mount these under the arm as he said he felt a little loss in range of motion.
  • I think it makes more sense to have softer foam on the player side and putting the harder stuff on the outside.
  • The one on his blocker side arm is slightly longer (not wider).  Mostly because I can't measure (lol) but i'm sure there's a goalie specific reason for it too.

Passau-After.thumb.jpg.cb2f6229e8a6ff3d1c2053869cb75e23.jpgPassau-After1.thumb.jpg.761fb3bb0ed2333ca44e07fcfe24b5b7.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 11/5/2017 at 12:51 AM, Chenner29 said:

So, I am pretty OCD about how my C/A fits. 
I've been modding my C/As forever, and thought I'd show my work if anyone else is looking to try out something new....enjoy!

I posted this one in the Pro C/A thread but thought I'd share them here too.

• This is a Jonathan Bernier pro return C/A that I was lucky enough to snag on Ebay a few years ago.
    • main differences between Bernier spec and P1 spec are the arms and backplate
    • on the arms, notice it lacks the oval outside and inside elbow protection.
    • backplate is a softer material
    • from my experience, this looks like a hybrid between a P1 body and Xpulse arms and backplate.
  • I added the tie down loop on the inside belly, as well as the extra rib protection (gray pads).
  • I also added the waxed lace in the elbows, as I found they hold tension better than the standard cord (which tends to come undone).
  • Second pic shows a mod i did to the wrist to help them stay up on my forearm so they don't fall down to my wrist.
    • I used 2" wide elastic with tension (I pulled the elastic tight while I was stitching so it wants to pull in)
    • It gives much better tension than the standard 1/2-3/4" wide elastic at the wrist.
    • If i were to ever go custom, I would ask for a 2" wide elastic strap at the wrist instead of the standard width.

59fea482af00e_P1backside.thumb.jpg.059595e5afcf40545506b819ed8fc739.jpg59fea4e2bf7ee_P1wrist.thumb.jpg.df2f21642e726d106308df0c1bcba446.jpg

My brother brought over his secondhand Passau c/a this evening and asked me to do some work to it.

It's a G1 which lacks the upper arm protection.  Here is a before shot.

• You can see a pretty big gap in protection between the bicep pad and the shoulder circles.
  • He said he had a couple shots last week that rose up and caught him in the upper arm/shoulder area

Passau-Before.thumb.jpg.06aed58265a447c1f54a1e527adc33b7.jpg

We ended up grabbing some LD foam and nylon from a local crafts store and this is the result.

• All the stitching was done by hand with a sewing awl.  Would have been a lot quicker if I knew how to use a machine to sew the nylon shut.
  • I stitched one of the narrow sides shut, then the long side and flipped it inside out like a sock to get the "clean look"
  • Next time, I think I would mount these under the arm as he said he felt a little loss in range of motion.
  • I think it makes more sense to have softer foam on the player side and putting the harder stuff on the outside.
  • The one on his blocker side arm is slightly longer (not wider).  Mostly because I can't measure (lol) but i'm sure there's a goalie specific reason for it too.

Passau-After.thumb.jpg.cb2f6229e8a6ff3d1c2053869cb75e23.jpgPassau-After1.thumb.jpg.761fb3bb0ed2333ca44e07fcfe24b5b7.jpg

Do you think something like that would work further down the forearm?  I need to add a little protection in the spot you added and my forearm as well.  Also which kind of foam is it again?

4 hours ago, Netnewbie said:

Do you think something like that would work further down the forearm?  I need to add a little protection in the spot you added and my forearm as well.  Also which kind of foam is it again?

Yes, it will.

Be careful it's not too thick.  Going with too much reinforcement there can impede interface with your glove and blocker.

Archived