Jump to content

Gear Builders Who Make Bespoke/Copy of Existing Gear?


SaveByRichter35

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am curious if anyone knows of a company that would take an existing piece of gear and make an exact copy of it but maybe with some updated/modern materials?

Isn’t there like a whole thread where we bash companies for doing pretty much that? You must be new around here - let me show you around... Lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Isn’t there like a whole thread where we bash companies for doing pretty much that? You must be new around here - let me show you around... Lol!

Ehhh, this is kind of different.  I am not talking about Scott Battram copying a graphic from everywhere under the sun.  Maybe I should have been more to the point in my OP.  I have a set of old Bauer Reactor 5 pants.  The original Reactor series from the 90s-00s.  I want to have someone take these and dissect them and make an exact copy of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ehhh, this is kind of different.  I am not talking about Scott Battram copying a graphic from everywhere under the sun.  Maybe I should have been more to the point in my OP.  I have a set of old Bauer Reactor 5 pants.  The original Reactor series from the 90s-00s.  I want to have someone take these and dissect them and make an exact copy of them.

Actually, in all honesty, 75% of the thing is in mint condition.  It has literally never touched ice or sport court.  Since day 1 it has always been inside of a cover.  Its just the mesh lining on the inside that has a few wear spots from my cup.  I could probably get by with just a few wear patches in key spots.  It would be pretty friggin cool to get these things remade with some up to date lighter materials though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ehhh, this is kind of different.  I am not talking about Scott Battram copying a graphic from everywhere under the sun.  Maybe I should have been more to the point in my OP.  I have a set of old Bauer Reactor 5 pants.  The original Reactor series from the 90s-00s.  I want to have someone take these and dissect them and make an exact copy of them.

I figured - just yanking your chain. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RichMan said:

Factory MAD, P.A.W., B.A.H.R., Toronto Hockey Repair (they build their own gear) to name a few. 

I don't think this is something PAW would do to be honest.  I think anyone that makes their own gear would probably tell me to buy their gear or kick rocks. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't think this is something PAW would do to be honest.  I think anyone that makes their own gear would probably tell me to buy their gear or kick rocks. lol

A lot of small companies don't wanna touch pants really but in retrospect to your comment, I don't think Sarah would turn you down so fast. I'm sure for the right price she might consider it. I'm sure she's thought about it.

Simmons and Boddam also make their own pants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RichMan said:

A lot of small companies don't wanna touch pants really but in retrospect to your comment, I don't think Sarah would turn you down so fast. I'm sure for the right price she might consider it. I'm sure she's thought about it.

Simmons and Boddam also make their own pants.

My go to off the bat would have been Terio but now that he is with Simmons it would most likely be a conflict of interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't think this is something PAW would do to be honest.  I think anyone that makes their own gear would probably tell me to buy their gear or kick rocks. lol

She only makes the Reebok premiere 590 glove. She’ll mess around with pads quite a bit though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, seagoal said:

Evidently @ArdeFIN could pull this off.

Skillvise propably but maybe not the best part of me. I'm more familiar with plastic sheets and padding things and Jenpro repairs. And material is also an issue with pants, I don't have any real supply for larger amounts of nylon fabric. But thanks for kudos! 

16 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

After looking through most of his gear mod threads I don't doubt it.  I'd rather not ship these things internationally though lol.

Thanks for the kudos too!

Yeah, the shipping costs would make this project worthless right away. Atleast at the point where I would be shipping them back. The shipping costs to international destination from Finland seem to be pretty ridiculous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SaveByRichter35 I've been following this guy on Instagram, I'm sure other too on here, who seems to be pretty skilled at making retro gear clones from '80-'90s specifically. Name is Joni "Bona" Hallikainen out of Finland (I think). His Instagram handle is @bonahallikaiencustoms. Dude is also an equipment manager for a Finish pro team I think.

I remember seeing him post a complete new build of Richter's 1996 world cup Bauer Reactor gloves but with modern twists with deeper pocket, protection, etc. Pretty sweet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Skillvise propably but maybe not the best part of me. I'm more familiar with plastic sheets and padding things and Jenpro repairs. And material is also an issue with pants, I don't have any real supply for larger amounts of nylon fabric. But thanks for kudos! 

Thanks for the kudos too!

Yeah, the shipping costs would make this project worthless right away. Atleast at the point where I would be shipping them back. The shipping costs to international destination from Finland seem to be pretty ridiculous. 

I wouldn't even wanna bother shipping to Canada to be honest lol

15 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

@SaveByRichter35 I've been following this guy on Instagram, I'm sure other too on here, who seems to be pretty skilled at making retro gear clones from '80-'90s specifically. Name is Joni "Bona" Hallikainen out of Finland (I think). His Instagram handle is @bonahallikaiencustoms. Dude is also an equipment manager for a Finish pro team I think.

I remember seeing him post a complete new build of Richter's 1996 world cup Bauer Reactor gloves but with modern twists with deeper pocket, protection, etc. Pretty sweet.

Cool I will check it out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, dstew29 said:

@SaveByRichter35 I've been following this guy on Instagram, I'm sure other too on here, who seems to be pretty skilled at making retro gear clones from '80-'90s specifically. Name is Joni "Bona" Hallikainen out of Finland (I think). His Instagram handle is @bonahallikaiencustoms. Dude is also an equipment manager for a Finish pro team I think.

I remember seeing him post a complete new build of Richter's 1996 world cup Bauer Reactor gloves but with modern twists with deeper pocket, protection, etc. Pretty sweet.

Yes, Joni is an excellent craftsman. Best known for his mask painting skills. Finnish like me and working for HIFK organization playing in highest level of Finnish hockey.

Recently he built Koho Evolution glove clone out of scratch for vintage gear enthusiast just for an example. And from pictures the quality absolutely is top notch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Has anyone ordered a clone through one of the bigger companies like ccm or whatever? If I don’t order a 580 I want to clone my koho 585 in a bigger size but I don’t really know what that process is like. Also, are their big upcharges for cloning?

They won't do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Why?

Their overseas factories are not set up to do the work you're asking, and the companies have no interest in doing it. If you want a glove similar to the Koho 585, check out the CCM Premier/Axis or any other 590 break glove.

No one is going to make an old-spec glove either. Maybe Brian's would, for an upcharge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2021 at 11:39 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Has anyone ordered a clone through one of the bigger companies like ccm or whatever? If I don’t order a 580 I want to clone my koho 585 in a bigger size but I don’t really know what that process is like. Also, are their big upcharges for cloning?

It would definitely solve my problems if Bauer would remake an old Bauer item but I don't see it happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

It would definitely solve my problems if Bauer would remake an old Bauer item but I don't see it happening.

Doesn’t Bauer build a 580 clone for Reimer? I get that he is important because he is an nhler but that would show that they can build other stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    2,008
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    b709
    Newest Member
    b709
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...