580 vs 590

A.YOUNGoalie13

May be the wrong had for me, but crazy excited to test out a real, original 580 that my goalie coach lent me to try on the ball machine. I tried closing it and it honestly feels like a 590 to me but he says you really feel the difference when actual catching something. Can’t wait to try it out!!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

The 580 and 590 offer different feels and pocket orientation with respect to hand position. Notice how the 580 gives more vertical coverage than the 590, and despite appearing to be an old spec glove from before the sizing regulations that we use today, this is still true with the current spec of 580's. Because of this, the motion that is used to close the glove resembles a "thumbs up" with your fingers flat on your palm.  I have been using this style of glove for almost 6 years now and found early on that it trivializes shots that are directed just over the leg pad (i.e. low glove one timers). 

The 590, on the other hand (get it?) offers more lateral coverage with respect to the orientation of the pocket. In theory, you could achieve more vertical coverage with the glove by utilizing the "fingers up" orientation of holding your glove. There is a potential issue of covering space in places where pucks won't go anywhere near the net (like above the crossbar). This is what I used when I was using my Vaughn T7600 back in my early days. 

I think glove position determines which style glove you use, but at the end of the day, they are two different ways to achieve the same task: catching the puck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

To further @bildeer... and simply for the sake of offering my own experience as it's already summed up well... I've tried other break angles but 580 just feels right on my hand AND the pocket placement it part of my muscle memory. Certainly something that could be relearned given enough reps, but playing beer league now there's no hope of ever getting that much practice time in. My 2X Pro glove (590ish break) just had the pocket push outward and down from where I was used to. So silly as this may sound I actually had complete misses because my pocket wasn't where I expected it to be given my hand positioning; up higher and closer to my body. Again this could be changed up with hand positioning and enough reps to get 580 out of my mind (which at my age would be 10,000+.) Certainly worth trying as everything old becomes new again.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely gonna get. 580 next time. Even though it was the wrong hand for me, it just feels right. Even though its thumbs up, it feels more to me like the thumb helps close the glove more than a 590. Now its just to see if I want a double or single tee. I’ve heard they feel slightly different

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

my 580 pro stock bobrovsky glove might be my favorite piece of equipment i've ever owned. catching pucks is effortless, and because i added a skate lace pocket the puck just dies the second it goes into my glove. very rarely any popouts, but when it happens its a matter of poor technique on my part.

If anyone has both 580 and 590 and even 600 of the about same series could you take a picture of them side by side where one could evaluate the break angle to wrist position and closure?

Most of the comparison pictures are of glove only and it's really hard to determine the angle of the forearm in the glove.

20 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

If anyone has both 580 and 590 and even 600 of the about same series could you take a picture of them side by side where one could evaluate the break angle to wrist position and closure?

Most of the comparison pictures are of glove only and it's really hard to determine the angle of the forearm in the glove.

Trav4oilers did a video on this exactly with all three from lefevre

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Trav4oilers did a video on this exactly with all three from lefevre

As well as Goaliecrease which showed this angle a bit better. The Trav4oilers video is a ADHD style where you can't really get anything out about the break of those gloves.

I was using a 580 Lefevre and now I am in a Hyperlite which is more of a 590. With the 580 "thumbs-up" break, I felt like all of my fingers were helping to close the glove; the break aligned with the crease across my palm. It didn't feel to me like my thumb had anything to do with the closure - it was just pointed straight up to stay out of the way. With the 590, I feel like the main difference is that I use only my thumb and my index finger to really put the pressure on it to close; the rest of the fingers don't seem to be doing much. 

I did break in my new Hyperlite glove using my method (handheld garment steamer in a sink + towel to cover it so the steam stays in, wrap closed tightly with a flat bungee; repeat for a couple days) last week and used it in a few games this past weekend, but it is a pro palm so it is still a bit stiff and needs to be worked in more. Maybe once it is as broken in as the 580 Lefevre then my entire hand will be used to close it.

One thing I definitely noticed in my games this weekend is how much easier it was to play the puck with the 590 compared to the 580. Having the break in the palm line up with the pocket closure gave me a much better angle and grip on the stick with my glove.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:56 PM, botpixel said:

my 580 pro stock bobrovsky glove might be my favorite piece of equipment i've ever owned. catching pucks is effortless, and because i added a skate lace pocket the puck just dies the second it goes into my glove. very rarely any popouts, but when it happens its a matter of poor technique on my part.

Have you used both a double and single tee 580? Bob has had both

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Windmill save said:

Just going to ask, anyone ever used a single tee +1" before, and what does it do to your glove and the difference to a normal single tee? 

The spine of the T is one inch longer

Supposed to help with puck retention but I never noticed a difference on a single tee