DR Hockey

estogoalie

What ever happened with D&R? I know Brodeur was one of their most famous customers way back when. There were also some other NHLers wearing their gloves in the 80's or even 90's. But the last 10-20 years or so they were just making cheap, low-end entry-level stuff. But then I haven't even really seen that in the last couple of years. Yesterday I just saw a nice wood stick made by them: http://pelikans-hockey.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p174_dr-classic-six-goalie-stick--links---27--.html

They have the same stick up on ebay, saying that they are the first to get some of these sample sticks before they "hit the market", so that implies DR is still in business, and plans to come out with some new stuff soon. The stick looks pretty solid, with Aramid strips, reminding me of the old TPS wood sticks, which I used for a long time until they stopped production.

Found their Facebook page, but that's over 1 year since any update. Not much else info on them available on the interwebz. Anyone have any info to share?

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyDR/

As per my conversation with the president of the group that owns the DR brand now, they had put their gear production (goalie and forward) on hold and were "working" on reorganizing and restructuring the brand and lines. That was maybe 2 years ago. I tried to get some news since and, nothing. I even offered myself as a equipment consultant and tester. Only response I got for that at that time was, "thank you for the offer, we'll keep it in mind and let you know if and when". That was the last I heard.

Following that conversation, I had sent an email some months (maybe a year) later stating how unimpressed and saddened I am at what or rather how they destroyed a hallmark brand in the goalie world. Their lack of PR involvement towards the hockey community was poor and mediocre at best. They reached out to a much younger crowd (you know, the kind that doesn't have jobs to buy their stuff) and made much of their marketing and PR targeted towards Crashed Ice instead. 

Suffice to say, I'm still upset with the whole thing. Only DR stuff you'll find in stores now is leftover gear from 2013, ringuette stuff and toddler/youth skating accessories. 

If I had the coin, I would be much more involved. D&R/DR was Quebec's resident brand for decades. Powertek tried their hand at it and seemed to have failed miserably. 

Hockey business is as tuff.

My understanding as a stubborn D&R fan who refuses to let go of my LG55s from 1982 is that Daignault & Roland stopped making stuff in the early 90s and that some other entity bought the naming rights and put out product under the label DR. Although I loved the King, probably D&R's most famous user was Fuhr. They made great stuff though. My pads have only needed a few straps, a few toes, and a knee patch over the decades but otherwise,  I still use them every time. Btw, 12 lbs each before they get wet.

• 8 months later...

Not sure about this info but...

Today in the local shop I saw DR goalie knee pads, nothing that I've seen from them before. They were shaped like the RBKs were, but cheaper of course. I like the concept but they need some work. For $50, you get a fair beginners knee pad. I tried one on and with my strong thighs, they were a tad too small.

Sorry I don't have a pic. I've tried in vain to find them on line but no luck so far. I wasn't able to take pics at the time.

At this point I presumed DR Hockey to be dead. Maybe it's just old stock I missed from before.

43 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Not sure about this info but...

Today in the local shop I saw DR goalie knee pads, nothing that I've seen from them before. They were shaped like the RBKs were, but cheaper of course. I like the concept but they need some work. For $50, you get a fair beginners knee pad. I tried one on and with my strong thighs, they were a tad too small.

Sorry I don't have a pic. I've tried in vain to find them on line but no luck so far. I wasn't able to take pics at the time.

At this point I presumed DR Hockey to be dead. Maybe it's just old stock I missed from before.

Interesting- out of curiosity, which shop? Next time I’m on the Gatineau side (most likely to go to Brasserie du Bas Canada! SOOOO good!!!) I might have to swing by for a coup d’oeil...

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Interesting- out of curiosity, which shop? Next time I’m on the Gatineau side (most likely to go to Brasserie du Bas Canada! SOOOO good!!!) I might have to swing by for a coup d’oeil...

Duguay Sports (Source for Sports) on Blv. Alexendre-Tache, across from the DQ.

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Holy crap! I know that store!

I used to live near there, on St. Raymond! I’ve always wanted to go there - worth the trip, in your opinion?

Yes and no. Depends on what you're looking for. It's a much smaller space than say PHL and they carry your typical brands. If you were interested in the G4s, didn't notice if they had them in. If you wanted to check out Coveted masks or True skates, they have those. They got a good batch of sticks though. If you're a 36+ pad guy, chances are you'll fall short from finding a pair there. It's clear that their main business is forwards. Great guys, shop talk is good, I know the manager and have played on-call shinny with them for the past 2 years. Good hockey.

• 1 year later...

Around 1987, 88, &R stocked in all team colors Catch and Blockers. Our local hockey shop had a set in Philadelphia colors. 

very nice catch glove, the only thing I didn’t like was the webbing was very flexible at the top. When trying to clear the puck, the stick would lag behind. For catching purposes it was great. 

Archived