NHL video game suggestions

Lucky Pucker

I’m not a gamer. Never really have been, though I did buy a PS3 about 8-10 years ago to play NHL 13 - which itself was because of the nostalgia of having played the very first NHL 93 as a kid. My son played NHL 17 or something at a friend’s house recently, and caught the bug though.

So what would be a good option for a console that you could play any of the recent NHL games on? I don’t want the very latest or anything, but I’m really out of my depth here. 
Cheers!

25 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I’m not a gamer. Never really have been, though I did buy a PS3 about 8-10 years ago to play NHL 13 - which itself was because of the nostalgia of having played the very first NHL 93 as a kid. My son played NHL 17 or something at a friend’s house recently, and caught the bug though.

So what would be a good option for a console that you could play any of the recent NHL games on? I don’t want the very latest or anything, but I’m really out of my depth here. 
Cheers!

An xbox one will get you nhl 15 through nhl 22 and possibly a couple older titles

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Cheers!

You've got two console options for NHL games: PlayStation, and XBox. In terms of "bang for your buck" you get *far* more out of an XBox with a Game Pass subscription. $9.99USD per month, and you have access to Microsoft's entire game catalogue. If you don't care about PlayStation exclusive titles, there's not much reason to get a PlayStation.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, CJ Boiss said:

You've got two console options for NHL games: PlayStation, and XBox. In terms of "bang for your buck" you get *far* more out of an XBox with a Game Pass subscription. $9.99USD per month, and you have access to Microsoft's entire game catalogue. If you don't care about PlayStation exclusive titles, there's not much reason to get a PlayStation.

EA Play with Gamepass is a wicked value proposition for people who casually play games. But, if you're just solely about sport games, it doesn't matter which console you choose since EA Play is on both.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@Lucky Pucker in case you don't know what EA Play is, it's a streaming service for EA games. Here's the list of available games for the Xbox One: https://www.ea.com/ea-play/games-xbox-one

If you like sport games, it's a no brainer.

This might work. I need to have options for my daughter as well, but at a glance there might be some in EAs catalog.

So XBoxOne… I’ll have to have a look-see

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

This might work. I need to have options for my daughter as well, but at a glance there might be some in EAs catalog.

So XBoxOne… I’ll have to have a look-see

I'd check out the second hand market too. Since the Series X/S came out back in November, there will be a lot of people wanting to sell off their old consoles and generally with games/accessories too.

Since you're ok with the previous generation, you can pick up a wicked deal for cheap.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd check out the second hand market too. Since the Series X/S came out back in November, there will be a lot of people wanting to sell off their old consoles and generally with games/accessories too.

Since you're ok with the previous generation, you can pick up a wicked deal for cheap.

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping- but as it would be a birthday gift for the kid, it should probably be new - even if old.

I think it will be fun for him to have another way to be better than his old man: he’s already smarter, better looking, a better athlete…  All I have left over him is height, weight, and income - and the clock is ticking on those things. 

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping- but as it would be a birthday gift for the kid, it should probably be new - even if old.

I think it will be fun for him to have another way to be better than his old man: he’s already smarter, better looking, a better athlete…  All I have left over him is height, weight, and income - and the clock is ticking on those things. 

You know, if he plays enough video games he'll lose those three he has on you. ;)

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, seagoal said:

BTW the trailer for the new NHL game just dropped like a day or two ago.  Austin Matthews on the cover and of course....the first time Seattle Kraken is in a game. I'll probably buy this one

Woah - did you see the board advertisements? Brian’s, Warrior, CCM, Bauer… and a few made-up ones, like “Vaughn” too.

So is there a cheat code in there for the Leafs to continue to perform after game 82…? 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MTH said:

Just buy a Blades of Steel console.

Blades of Steel - Arcade Machine Spotted - Lifestyle - THE GOAL[ie]  NET[work]

Now THAT was a hockey video game! Montreal in gold (?), penalties for losing a fight, and penalty shots were slap shots from the blue line. 
Way better than the NES branded “Ice Hockey”.

Fuck, we had it rough growing up when we did, @MTH (I think you’re ‘77-78…? I’m January ‘79… so many of your references are right on the fucking money, as if you grew up down the street from me!)

Oh, and I’m out of reactions - so I owe you a “like”

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

BTW the trailer for the new NHL game just dropped like a day or two ago.  Austin Matthews on the cover and of course....the first time Seattle Kraken is in a game. I'll probably buy this one

This is the first iteration of the NHL series with the Frostbite engine, so hopefully the changes are more noticeable than just updated rosters and a couple new dekes.

That being said, I've played or owned every single EA NHL game (and 2K versions when they were still around) since NHL 93. I buy it yearly to be mostly disappointed. 

Edited by insertnamehere

On 8/20/2021 at 3:44 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Way better than the NES branded “Ice Hockey”.

NES Ice Hockey was cool if you had this controller with the 'Turbo' button. It was a rapid fire version of the regular A/B buttons. So every gun was a machine gun, you could run through all tackles in football, punch rapid fire and in Ice Hockey, you could slash the shit out of anyone and take the puck always.

Buy Nintendo / NES NES Max Controller by Nintendo | eStarland.com |