Rocket Sports Dryer

insertnamehere

Has anybody used a Rocket Sports dryer for drying their gear? I've found that my garage doesn't get warm enough to dry my gear and it's horribly inefficient to use a space heater aimed at the gear to dry it off, and my wife absolutely wouldn't let me bring my gear into the house, so I just ordered one of these a few minutes ago. Looking for feedback from anyone who's used one!

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Everyone I know who has one LOVES theirs. I would have one, but was lucky enough to have LOTS of fans. I do recommend a Peet’s boot dryer for skates and gloves in addition to the rocket dryer. The Peet’s gets the warm air where it counts for boots and gloves.

I'll have to look into one of those too, but perhaps leave it for my wife to buy as a birthday gift. I have a habit of buying whatever I want and apparently that makes me hard to shop for. 

22 hours ago, insertnamehere said:
I'll have to look into one of those too, but perhaps leave it for my wife to buy as a birthday gift. I have a habit of buying whatever I want and apparently that makes me hard to shop for. 

Put it in your browsing history and drop the name like crazy!!!!

Rocket dyers don’t get that hot; we’re talking 120 degrees F. I get the PVC hanger with a fan route; some even put a computer fan or blow dryer through those pipes. In the case of this bloke, he probably lives in a temperate zone and the garage gets cold! 

I am lucky that Mrs. bunnyman666 does not care about gear in our hutch! 

26 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Rocket dyers don’t get that hot; we’re talking 120 degrees F. I get the PVC hanger with a fan route; some even put a computer fan or blow dryer through those pipes. In the case of this bloke, he probably lives in a temperate zone and the garage gets cold! 

I am lucky that Mrs. bunnyman666 does not care about gear in our hutch! 

Cold is good, means its not going to stink. Cold garage with a fan and you're set. 

I have one and use it in a wardrobe I picked up from wal-mart. It’s just the base with the legs. Usually the three hour setting and it’s dry. I have one for my player gear. I’ve worked in hockey retail for 7 years and it’s my best purchase.

I've been using one for over 4 years. It's absolutely great. The whole point of it is the dry the gear before significant amounts of bacteria can build up in the fabrics. Cold weather doesn't help and is a bit of a myth as it locks atmospheric moisture in and will take longer to dry said items. The cold only really works when the item in question is frozen solid, below freezing temperature (0 degrees centigrade) for an extended period of time. However, for an item to freeze, inside and out, moisture MUST be existent in the item, therefore after it thaws, you'll just go back to square one, except with the dirty water/sweat still there, instead of evaporating, which is what heat does. 

1 hour ago, ruckus007 said:

I've been using one for over 4 years. It's absolutely great. The whole point of it is the dry the gear before significant amounts of bacteria can build up in the fabrics. Cold weather doesn't help and is a bit of a myth as it locks atmospheric moisture in and will take longer to dry said items. The cold only really works when the item in question is frozen solid, below freezing temperature (0 degrees centigrade) for an extended period of time. However, for an item to freeze, inside and out, moisture MUST be existent in the item, therefore after it thaws, you'll just go back to square one, except with the dirty water/sweat still there, instead of evaporating, which is what heat does. 

Just like putting your Camelback in the freezer to “clean” it. I got SOOOOOOOOO sick from my frozen Camelback!

On 1/8/2018 at 1:24 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Drying your gear thoroughly and then leaving it outside over night in your car can help with some stench as well.  The freezing cold temps help to kill the bacteria.  Make sure its dry first though.  

FYI - old myth that isn't right.

Found this online for food. Same concept for the most part. I thought it killed bacteria too. Learn something new every day..

Freezing foods renders bacteria inactive but doesn't actually kill anything. That means if your food went into the freezer contaminated, once thawed it will still harbor the same harmful bacteria. Cooking it to the recommended temperature is the only way to ensure that your food is safe.

I use one of the cheaper variants of the Rocket Dryer thats available in Europe as my gear is otherwise left in the garage hung up on hooks. Before putting the gear (C/A, gloves, skates, knee pads) in there I spray it down with a surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol in NA?) + water mix, leave it for half an hr and then put it in the dryer for an hr. Comes out dry and with no stink!

I've had one for about three years and I absolutely love it. To keep it short and sweet this is my experience with it:

Cons

Size: seems to be targeted towards players and not goalies. I can fit every piece of gear but it's really tight.

Durability: the top pegs are made of plastic and aren't strong enough to hold all the goalie gear so they bend and in my case one broke. Also the little metal hooks provided rusted over time.

Pros

Temperature: it doesn't get crazy hot but warm enough to dry every piece completely.

Ease of use: super easy to assemble and use, you literally set it and forget it.

Price: I got mine a few years ago for 100$ CAD and I think it's one of the best things I ever bought. 

I would 100% recommend it to anyone who plays hockey :thumbup:

Hi all,

The Rocket sports drier received some great reviews from a friend of mine, and I thought I'd share another option, and I purchased this from Costco:

https://www.costco.ca/Allsport-Hot-Locker.product.100158336.html

The Allsport Hot Locker.  I use just the 1 adjustable shelf at the top for my mask and gloves (shelf is about 1 foot down from the top of the locker), then hang my skates under the shelf with the supplied skate hook, then put my pads at the bottom of the locker.  I added 2 hooks under the shelf for my C/A, then a hook on the door for my jersey, under garment pants and neck guard.  As you can imagine, not all the gear fits, so on the outside of the locker I hang my pants and put my cup in my pants.  This thing is awesome.  My gear is dry after 1 hour.

I keep it in my garage (in Kelowna, my garage doesn't get colder than 10 degrees Celsius).  I never thought I'd keep my gear in a garage, but the convenience to pack up my stuff and carry it 20 feet to the car is really convenient.  Plus, my wife doesn't want me storing my gear downstairs, which is a common complaint around here by those with wives :giggle:.

Also, pregame, I warm up my gear.  There's 3 time limits on the remote: 20, 40, 60 mins.  I can activate the remote from inside the house.  I just hang the remote on the key holder by our garage entrance.

I've never seen anyone mention this unit before, but I've had this for 5 years.  I have replaced the blower motor a couple years ago, as they do burn out after a few seasons of use.  I think this is a great investment however.

@IPv6Freely Yes for sure they would.  The heat isn't very hot, and in my opinion, the pads are the most important piece to dry out.  I find if my pads are the slightest damp in the toe area, the jenpro wears away quicker.

The metal of the locker is quite thin, but once it's assembled it's quite strong.  There's also a key lock for the door.  It would be nice if everything fit in there, but at least the important stuff stays clean and dry :)

2 hours ago, MikeTheGoalie said:

@IPv6Freely Yes for sure they would.  The heat isn't very hot, and in my opinion, the pads are the most important piece to dry out.  I find if my pads are the slightest damp in the toe area, the jenpro wears away quicker.

The metal of the locker is quite thin, but once it's assembled it's quite strong.  There's also a key lock for the door.  It would be nice if everything fit in there, but at least the important stuff stays clean and dry :)

My pads don’t really get wet

Archived