Brian's G-Netik 5.5 SR Vintage Glove Set

Dharmaboy

So I have a set of the 5.5 series sold by The Goalie Crease. I love the look and the feel of the set. My question is I have used this set for about a year and I love them but a few issues. The blocker feels great and I feel more connected to my goal stick when playing with it. The catcher is awesome but I am having issue breaking it in. It feels like I am almost hand cramping trying to open and close it to maximize its use during play.

I have used the Keeps method of hot water etc. But this thing is still tanky. What is this glove actually? It's made in Canada and i have felt no stingers. So is this senior rec level or is it a pro glove reskined? It says its based off a Sub Zero 6.0 mitt. Is 6.0 a senior rec catcher?

Are you sure it's made in Canada? My 5.5 pads are made overseas and I would be surprised if the gloves weren’t too. Having said that, I don’t think that necessarily is the issue.

The other break-in method I've seen (but not tried personally) is Tomy from the  goalie crease forum. You can search YouTube for his videos. Basically he puts a ball in the pocket, ties it up and puts it under a heavy object overnight. But then he repeats it without the ball and opens it flat for another day. 

Your glove set wouldn’t happen to be red & black, would they?

Edit - Here's the link, go to the 4:50 mark 

https://youtu.be/x8EylQZnJWg

Correction : He uses hot water too but no ball. Just crease it at the desired break and put under pressure. And the repeat with it open.

55 minutes ago, Dharmaboy said:

I actually used Tommy's method but it still a tough break in process. My set is all bucky brown. I have a game tonight so over the workday today I put the unit under my couch and see how it goes. I guess.

I had a Smith catcher for several years that never felt broken in either after doing the hot water thing. I sold them before coming across Tomy's method. The 2nd part where he applies pressure in the open position might be the key.

One difference between the Smith and the Vaughn 7700 I use now is that the palm in the Smith seems like a double layer of material that you're trying to fold. Whereas the Vaughn has the solid outer layer but an inner layer that has a break in it. It's similar to the external or internal breaks on pads.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Sounds like it needs to see Factory Mad: mo’ love fo yo glove; mo’ fap fo yo trap!

I like what Dennis did to make the closure 100% better but I don't like the pocket/T at all. Am looking to send my Gnetik out and have the the original double t put back in. The problem am having with Factory Mad pocket is it's not deep enough and the wax skate lace used has no real give to it. I have had alot of pop outs and shots hit the t and go right back out. His work to improve glove closure is absolutely amazing don't get me wrong with that.

17 hours ago, Dharmaboy said:

What is this glove actually? It's made in Canada and i have felt no stingers. So is this senior rec level or is it a pro glove reskined? It says its based off a Sub Zero 6.0 mitt. Is 6.0 a senior rec catcher?

As far as I'm aware all the non-pro Brians gear is made outside of North America, but they do have a Canadian flag decal on them that says 'designed in Canada'.

17 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

That is pro model Gnetik 2 glove label 5.5. If I remember right I believe that line done by the Crease was Sr. Level pads and blocker with pro level glove. 

Right. I knew the glove didnt feel Senior as you feel zero sting or impact unlike most senior level gloves.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem with my 5.5 glove as well. I found the glove was too tight with the strapping and the straps were too short.  I ended up sewing extra jenpro and velcro to the glove to give it more length and ease closure.  One way to test if this problem is similar to yours is to unvelcro all the straps and then with strap fully disengaged try opening and shutting the glove.  If the straps are too tight, then by having the straps disengaged your glove should feel easier to close and feel more broken in.  I'll post pictures when I get home.  Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Here are some videos comparing the short straps vs extended straps and the affects each have on the glove closure. You can see the longer straps aid in assisting the glove close more securely. 

13FC60A2-AE7C-48C0-A648-A38F65240945.MOV

C7A4DEE1-F8E4-4505-925E-63786DDCDD05.MOV

Brilliant and easy fix. going to try this.

Archived