When old design/tech revisits present gear

RichMan

6 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

CCM Blockade with the one-piece cuff that is pretty much standard nowadays. This came out in 2004 or 2005.

126218667_2633113426998659_5558677166671494865_n.thumb.jpg.d85a770794bde2347473049850f2f3af.jpg

The Reebok Premier 3 came out in 2009 or so. It wasn't really until the P3 came out that one-piece cuffs became a thing.

P3.png.02626dc9e388ea68c679557d6e171413.png

Didn't the Sher-Wood Pelican come out before the Blockades or was it the other way?

22 hours ago, RichMan said:

I've noticed recently (past couple years) that some new designs/tech is pretty much a "Part 2" from previous designs that never really took off in the first place. Here are a few that stood out for me.

Eagle Fusion Pro Leg Pads- Senior(CCM Axis A2.9 Goalie Leg Pads - Senior)

Factory Mad review (very long) - Reviews - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]image.jpeg.bcb74a56db3078dbe55a4dc81b428115.jpeg

happy_17.jpgBauer Supreme Ultrasonic Goalie Chest Protector - Senior | Pure Goalie  Equipment

I'm sure you'll come up with more as we go.

What about the eagles is present in today’s gear? Are you saying the sidewall?

18 hours ago, RichMan said:

Didn't the Sher-Wood Pelican come out before the Blockades or was it the other way?

No clue, didn't realize the Pelican exists until you brought it up!

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

What about the eagles is present in today’s gear? Are you saying the sidewall?

I think he's talking about the landing area. FactoryMAD seems to be doing the exact same thing. The Axis 2 sort of does the same thing, but at the knee.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, keeperton said:

That line of Sher-Wood gear was ahead of its time. The Cerberus pads were super thin, flat faced, and incredibly modern.

Makes you think what current or recently current used ideas that weren't initially popular will become staples on gear in the future? 

We've seen Bauer now adopt the lack of wrist strap that has been part of Warrior gloves for a while. That could be the new normal. 

Was Vaughn's ideas of magnets actually genius and we're too naïve to know? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

No clue, didn't realize the Pelican exists until you brought it up!

I think he's talking about the landing area. FactoryMAD seems to be doing the exact same thing. The Axis 2 sort of does the same thing, but at the knee.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sherwood-cerberus-10-pelican-trap-pro-127968981

Edited by RichMan

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Makes you think what current or recently current used ideas that weren't initially popular will become staples on gear in the future? 

We've seen Bauer now adopt the lack of wrist strap that has been part of Warrior gloves for a while. That could be the new normal. 

Just announced, the CCM MAGNETude

With magnets built into the toe box so you can always hit that post in RVH with ease

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Just announced, the CCM MAGNETude

With magnets built into the toe box so you can always hit that post in RVH with ease

You joke, but clearly the next step on goaltending technology is technique assistance built in. 

28 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Warrior Ritual Pro Catch Glove- Sr

Warrior has always been pushing the envelope

G2, G3, GT1, and G4 we're all stock single tee gloves. Warrior didn't make the double T the default until the GT2 line, which is about the same time everyone else was in the same camp. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

44 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You joke, but clearly the next step on goaltending technology is technique assistance built in.

It wouldn't surprise me too much to see a HingeFlex built into the boot of a pad. Pad construction hasn't changed too radically - as a whole, it's still just foam and plastics glued or strung or sewed together. Adding some sort of movable mechanical (for lack of a better word) contraption into it could be really neat.

9 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Double T's seemed to really be a thing back in the era when TPS was big (I remember the Bionic having a huge double T pocket).

The stock Bionic had a wide single T with a small hole in it.  I owned the glove and block, I remember paying $500 for the set way back when

Blocker had player glove fingers

image.png.65dfca8319893d9bffca2550e4c537de.png

The Xceed had the double T, and IIRC the skin material had a satin-y finish

image.png.434b10592d5017439e798719540adcf0.png

45 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I’m pretty sure my X-Hale from ~2000 had a double T

35 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

The stock Bionic had a wide single T with a small hole in it.  I owned the glove and block, I remember paying $500 for the set way back when

Blocker had player glove fingers

image.png.65dfca8319893d9bffca2550e4c537de.png

The Xceed had the double T, and IIRC the skin material had a satin-y finish

image.png.434b10592d5017439e798719540adcf0.png

You're both right, I was likely thinking of the X-Hale.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

G2, G3, GT1, and G4 we're all stock single tee gloves. Warrior didn't make the double T the default until the GT2 line, which is about the same time everyone else was in the same camp. 

The pic I posted is a triple T. Look at it again.

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

It wouldn't surprise me too much to see a HingeFlex built into the boot of a pad. Pad construction hasn't changed too radically - as a whole, it's still just foam and plastics glued or strung or sewed together. Adding some sort of movable mechanical (for lack of a better word) contraption into it could be really neat.

You mean like these...

Follow aeroflexgoalie's (@aeroflexgoalie) latest Tweets / Twitter

• Like 2