Jump to content

When old design/tech revisits present gear


RichMan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've noticed recently (past couple years) that some new designs/tech is pretty much a "Part 2" from previous designs that never really took off in the first place. Here are a few that stood out for me.

Eagle Fusion Pro Leg Pads- Senior(CCM Axis A2.9 Goalie Leg Pads - Senior)

Factory Mad review (very long) - Reviews - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]image.jpeg.bcb74a56db3078dbe55a4dc81b428115.jpeg

happy_17.jpgBauer Supreme Ultrasonic Goalie Chest Protector - Senior | Pure Goalie  Equipment

I'm sure you'll come up with more as we go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

CCM Blockade with the one-piece cuff that is pretty much standard nowadays. This came out in 2004 or 2005.

126218667_2633113426998659_5558677166671494865_n.thumb.jpg.d85a770794bde2347473049850f2f3af.jpg

The Reebok Premier 3 came out in 2009 or so. It wasn't really until the P3 came out that one-piece cuffs became a thing.

P3.png.02626dc9e388ea68c679557d6e171413.png

Didn't the Sher-Wood Pelican come out before the Blockades or was it the other way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, RichMan said:

I've noticed recently (past couple years) that some new designs/tech is pretty much a "Part 2" from previous designs that never really took off in the first place. Here are a few that stood out for me.

Eagle Fusion Pro Leg Pads- Senior(CCM Axis A2.9 Goalie Leg Pads - Senior)

Factory Mad review (very long) - Reviews - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]image.jpeg.bcb74a56db3078dbe55a4dc81b428115.jpeg

happy_17.jpgBauer Supreme Ultrasonic Goalie Chest Protector - Senior | Pure Goalie  Equipment

I'm sure you'll come up with more as we go.

What about the eagles is present in today’s gear? Are you saying the sidewall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RichMan said:

Didn't the Sher-Wood Pelican come out before the Blockades or was it the other way?

No clue, didn't realize the Pelican exists until you brought it up!

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

What about the eagles is present in today’s gear? Are you saying the sidewall?

I think he's talking about the landing area. FactoryMAD seems to be doing the exact same thing. The Axis 2 sort of does the same thing, but at the knee.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, RichMan said:

Didn't the Sher-Wood Pelican come out before the Blockades or was it the other way?

That line of Sher-Wood gear was ahead of its time. The Cerberus pads were super thin, flat faced, and incredibly modern.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, keeperton said:

That line of Sher-Wood gear was ahead of its time. The Cerberus pads were super thin, flat faced, and incredibly modern.

Makes you think what current or recently current used ideas that weren't initially popular will become staples on gear in the future? 

We've seen Bauer now adopt the lack of wrist strap that has been part of Warrior gloves for a while. That could be the new normal. 

Was Vaughn's ideas of magnets actually genius and we're too naïve to know? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

No clue, didn't realize the Pelican exists until you brought it up!

I think he's talking about the landing area. FactoryMAD seems to be doing the exact same thing. The Axis 2 sort of does the same thing, but at the knee.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sherwood-cerberus-10-pelican-trap-pro-127968981

Edited by RichMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Makes you think what current or recently current used ideas that weren't initially popular will become staples on gear in the future? 

We've seen Bauer now adopt the lack of wrist strap that has been part of Warrior gloves for a while. That could be the new normal. 

Was Vaughn's ideas of magnets actually genius and we're too naïve to know? 

 

Just announced, the CCM MAGNETude

With magnets built into the toe box so you can always hit that post in RVH with ease

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

In my eyes the double tee being stock on every glove feels like a very new thing. It wasn’t long ago that every glove on the shelf was single tee. 

Warrior Ritual Pro Catch Glove- Sr

Warrior has always been pushing the envelope

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Just announced, the CCM MAGNETude

With magnets built into the toe box so you can always hit that post in RVH with ease

You joke, but clearly the next step on goaltending technology is technique assistance built in. 

28 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Warrior Ritual Pro Catch Glove- Sr

Warrior has always been pushing the envelope

G2, G3, GT1, and G4 we're all stock single tee gloves. Warrior didn't make the double T the default until the GT2 line, which is about the same time everyone else was in the same camp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

In my eyes the double tee being stock on every glove feels like a very new thing. It wasn’t long ago that every glove on the shelf was single tee. 

Carey Price effect IMO.

He started using one so people came around on it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Makes you think what current or recently current used ideas that weren't initially popular will become staples on gear in the future? 

We've seen Bauer now adopt the lack of wrist strap that has been part of Warrior gloves for a while. That could be the new normal. 

Was Vaughn's ideas of magnets actually genius and we're too naïve to know?

 

44 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You joke, but clearly the next step on goaltending technology is technique assistance built in.

It wouldn't surprise me too much to see a HingeFlex built into the boot of a pad. Pad construction hasn't changed too radically - as a whole, it's still just foam and plastics glued or strung or sewed together. Adding some sort of movable mechanical (for lack of a better word) contraption into it could be really neat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Carey Price effect IMO.

He started using one so people came around on it

Double T's seemed to really be a thing back in the era when TPS was big (I remember the Bionic having a huge double T pocket).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Double T's seemed to really be a thing back in the era when TPS was big (I remember the Bionic having a huge double T pocket).

I’m pretty sure my X-Hale from ~2000 had a double T

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Double T's seemed to really be a thing back in the era when TPS was big (I remember the Bionic having a huge double T pocket).

The stock Bionic had a wide single T with a small hole in it.  I owned the glove and block, I remember paying $500 for the set way back when

Blocker had player glove fingers

image.png.65dfca8319893d9bffca2550e4c537de.png

The Xceed had the double T, and IIRC the skin material had a satin-y finish

image.png.434b10592d5017439e798719540adcf0.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I’m pretty sure my X-Hale from ~2000 had a double T

 

35 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

The stock Bionic had a wide single T with a small hole in it.  I owned the glove and block, I remember paying $500 for the set way back when

Blocker had player glove fingers

image.png.65dfca8319893d9bffca2550e4c537de.png

The Xceed had the double T, and IIRC the skin material had a satin-y finish

image.png.434b10592d5017439e798719540adcf0.png

You're both right, I was likely thinking of the X-Hale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You joke, but clearly the next step on goaltending technology is technique assistance built in. 

G2, G3, GT1, and G4 we're all stock single tee gloves. Warrior didn't make the double T the default until the GT2 line, which is about the same time everyone else was in the same camp. 

The pic I posted is a triple T. Look at it again.

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

 

It wouldn't surprise me too much to see a HingeFlex built into the boot of a pad. Pad construction hasn't changed too radically - as a whole, it's still just foam and plastics glued or strung or sewed together. Adding some sort of movable mechanical (for lack of a better word) contraption into it could be really neat.

You mean like these...

Follow aeroflexgoalie's (@aeroflexgoalie) latest Tweets / Twitter

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

The pic I posted is a triple T. Look at it again.

6 hours ago, RichMan said:

Warrior has always been pushing the envelope

Vaughn had the triple T on the 3500/5500 before the Warrior brand came into existence

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Vaughn had the triple T on the 3500/5500 before the Warrior brand came into existence

Really? I missed that. I remember some kind of 3 point star T from them that Battram also adopted in his beginnings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...