When old design/tech revisits present gear

RichMan

On 8/20/2022 at 11:27 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Which triple tee though?

image.jpeg.94265db2f67cac9da0e5979b21a0e2a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.4bafccf951bba1c9f229ff353ebe8ba7.jpeg

My brother had both of these gloves. Well, his goalie partner had the Y-tee Velocity and he had a single-T. The Y-tee was such a "why did you do this?" I remember the reason being explained to me as pucks hitting the center webbing would snap the glove closed, but I don't think it really worked in practice.

On 8/19/2022 at 5:40 PM, Chenner29 said:

Carey Price effect IMO.

He started using one so people came around on it

This is bigger than you think, and it has a lot to do with CCM. No/removeable boot, double T, 600 break, one-piece cuffs, elastic toe... A bunch of things that now make many pads look like slight iterations of one another.

Edited by SixThreeStopper
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:17 PM, keeperton said:

My brother had both of these gloves. Well, his goalie partner had the Y-tee Velocity and he had a single-T. The Y-tee was such a "why did you do this?" I remember the reason being explained to me as pucks hitting the center webbing would snap the glove closed, but I don't think it really worked in practice.

The thought process was that the less T there was, and the more lacing, the less likely pop-outs would happen.  Besides anecdotally, I don't know if this theory was ever shown to be true in real world usage.

The T on my favorite glove of all time that I still use - Brian's Beast - is an even more deformed version of the Y-T.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hateclowns said:

The thought process was that the less T there was, and the more lacing, the less likely pop-outs would happen.  Besides anecdotally, I don't know if this theory was ever shown to be true in real world usage.

The T on my favorite glove of all time that I still use - Brian's Beast - is an even more deformed version of the Y-T.

Capture.PNG

I had completely forgotten about this iteration of the Beast, a guy I played against regularly had one.

• 4 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, Chenner29 said:

Just announced, the CCM MAGNETude

With magnets built into the toe box so you can always hit that post in RVH with ease

Was reading through old threads while looking for a Sherwood blocker and rediscovered this. Wonder if magnet toe ties will ever become a thing. Or if sliding toe bridges will return from being all but dead. Also wonder if we’ll start to see a trend in popularity back towards soft face pads as players are being taught to pick up hard rebounds before you can even push to get them. I also think we’ll see more companies adopt a sort of hybrid strapping system similar to ccms with some nylon and some elastic straps. Works pretty well at making the pads feel more secure even when worn loose. 

Aeroflex pads I had as a kid were all plastic buckles to connect and therefore done up in fraction of time compared to traditional leather straps.  It's no the same but most modern pads can be put on super quick.  Once I got into the 1x and then 2x I really appreciated the speed of 4 connections compared to 8 per pad had on Vaughn Vision.  I also could not go back to the weight of the Vision after trying the 1x, another feature of the Aeroflex ;) 

I am looking to add thigh boards back on pads for added knee protection.  Beer league so I could probably even wear 12" pads and cheaters on side of gloves if I wanted. lol 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MTH said:

12" wide pads is where it's at.

Remember the line - 'They were legal when I bought them'.

I made a killing refurbishing and reselling 12" pads. They were still legal in most recreational hockey leagues for years after the NHL banned them in 2009. On the average I was paying $200 a pair.

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

I made a killing refurbishing and reselling 12" pads. They were still legal in most recreational hockey leagues for years after the NHL banned them in 2009. On the average I was paying $200 a pair.

They're still legal in recreational leagues. Everything is.

Technically we're not supposed to use uncertified Cat Eye cages in beer leagues in BC/Canada as they're not HECC certified and are an insurance liability. Not like anyone cares in the slightest. 

I played a low div 30+ game last night and one player was wearing a box lacrosse mask with no chin cup. 

Anything goes in the beer leagues. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, Almost Hip said:

Aeroflex pads I had as a kid were all plastic buckles to connect and therefore done up in fraction of time compared to traditional leather straps.  It's no the same but most modern pads can be put on super quick.  Once I got into the 1x and then 2x I really appreciated the speed of 4 connections compared to 8 per pad had on Vaughn Vision.  I also could not go back to the weight of the Vision after trying the 1x, another feature of the Aeroflex ;) 

Heaton Helite IIs were the same way.  Heaton went back to leather buckles on the III's as I recall, probably due to pushback.   Those H2's were the best old school pad I used.

• 8 months later...

This just popped back into my head. You older GSBB cats will remember this. There was a small company or designer, I can't remember the name, but they had these pads where the whole face was a full on jenpro wrap that was secured to the main pad structure. The means was that you could buy a few different color skins and swap them, just like you do a pant shell or jersey.

It was met with very harsh criticism for reasons I can't remember. We were stingy old school bastards back then. I'm sure that whole idea/concept would catch on well today if it were re-introduced. It was original and practical I think.

• Like 2