The perfect skate

TakeOffEh

Been playing net since I was a wee lad, many many moons ago. I quit for a spell and have decided to get back into the game. My skates for the longest time were Bauer 3000'. I loved those skates, it was like putting on slippers, they fit perfectly, no issues at all. After realizing that the footbed was shot and the rivets were failing at holding the cowling I discarded them. Not realizing I could have had the footbeds refurbished... Anyways, went with a Bauer something something 65 maybe, the ankle area was higher, covering the ankle. Didn't care for the fit or feel of them. After reading so much about the VH skate I took a field trip to Winnipeg to be fitted for a pair of their skates. After spending a grand for the skates and skating in them for a season I found them to be, meh.. I kept getting lace bite as well as pain in my ankles, needing a shoe horn and voodoo priest to get in and out of them.  After a couple conversations with VH and being sent new tongues it still did not fix my pain issues so I parted ways with them via eBay, at a considerable loss....

Look, I really could give two sheets about attack angle, no cowling, weighing less than a NASA Astronaut, etc.. I'm a beer league goalie who plays a couple of nights a week with a tournament every couple months. I want a comfortable skate, one I don't have to paper the ankle area and other areas with mole skin and padding to make it comfortable. I want a comfortable skate, nothing rock hard that I have to balance on either foot during a game to relieve pressure/pain. Any help peeps?

eBay has Bauer Reactor 3000’s for sale weekly. Set an alarm and eBay will email you every time a pair goes on sale. There’s a size 12 pair now on sale right now and a size 5.5.  There’s also a bunch of 1000 reactors for sale right now.

I second the eBay route. A sharpening customer of mine whom I call a skating enthusiast (he plays stick and puck with me when the Blues’ practise facility allows it in the schedule, generally after the Blues exit the playoffs) buys a LOT of NOS and barely used examples of old school, leather and ballistic nylon skates. His last conquest was a pair of ‘90s Tacks that originally came from Perani’s, which the last owner sold them on eBay to my customer. He tried a pair of Mako and just could not skate in them. 

If Bauer still has their pro skate plant in Canada, you can still get some of the older styles and models of skates at a cost, of course.

@TakeOffEh - have you contacted VH / True? Maybe there are some tricks to fix your issues?!?

Aftet that, you might opt for a lower Bauer / CCM. Cheaper boots will be softer and might fit your need.

New CCM AS1 will be the most form-fit-able skate at retail. Maybe you could try that on when it comes out if you want to stay high end? 

@TGC-Rance can do custom Bauer’s for you 

Also, I agree Graf. Maybe contact Pro Skate Goal out west, I think they are still the most active with Graf 

i know that’s a lot of suggestions, but I’m not sure there is 1 right answer here 

I appreciate the reply's, thank you. I was wearing the older 3000 model, from about 1991'ish. I had the cowlings changed out a couple times with those skates. The footbed had started to fail/rot and instead of finding someone to replace it I decided to trash them and look for something else, loved those skates. I guess that is what i'm looking for, a leather type skate, nothing composite. I liked how the skate, over time, conformed to your foot. My feet are fairly normal, no arch issues etc. I did have a couple of moleskin placements in those skates but nothing severe. I'm thinking my best route is going custom with Bauer, if they still offer those types of boots. Again I thanks for all of the suggestions, it was appreciated.

On that note, does anyone have a non-spec catcher? Preferably a Vaughn 5500 in fairly decent condition? Thanks again.

12 hours ago, TakeOffEh said:

I appreciate the reply's, thank you. I was wearing the older 3000 model, from about 1991'ish. I had the cowlings changed out a couple times with those skates. The footbed had started to fail/rot and instead of finding someone to replace it I decided to trash them and look for something else, loved those skates. I guess that is what i'm looking for, a leather type skate, nothing composite. I liked how the skate, over time, conformed to your foot. My feet are fairly normal, no arch issues etc. I did have a couple of moleskin placements in those skates but nothing severe. I'm thinking my best route is going custom with Bauer, if they still offer those types of boots. Again I thanks for all of the suggestions, it was appreciated.

On that note, does anyone have a non-spec catcher? Preferably a Vaughn 5500 in fairly decent condition? Thanks again.

Keep an eye on EBay and local Craigslist, Kijiji etc.  The Bauer Supreme 7000's pop up on there (there are some right now actually) and can be had for a good price.  They are great skates, I have 3 pairs because like you, I like the older style.  Have one pair that I use now, and 2 more for future use.

19 hours ago, TakeOffEh said:

I have a pair of size 8.5D Bauer Supreme 1000 skates that have lots of life left in both the boot and the steel.  Not sure what size you need.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, TheGoalNet said:

@TakeOffEh - have you contacted VH / True? Maybe there are some tricks to fix your issues?!?

Aftet that, you might opt for a lower Bauer / CCM. Cheaper boots will be softer and might fit your need.

New CCM AS1 will be the most form-fit-able skate at retail. Maybe you could try that on when it comes out if you want to stay high end? 

@TGC-Rance can do custom Bauer’s for you 

Also, I agree Graf. Maybe contact Pro Skate Goal out west, I think they are still the most active with Graf 

i know that’s a lot of suggestions, but I’m not sure there is 1 right answer here 

We have been very stale with custom Bauers since the VH/True skates have been rolling through. I have a tough foot to fit and my VH's are remarkable (I actually purchased prior to the store carrying them) 

If the Bauer's fit your feet with stock fits they are an excellent skate. 

The CCM is looking like it is going to be a very good. Skate. I tossed on a 9D when I was at CCM and this skate was extremely comfy for a stock boot given their new layup. I typically run a 8.5 EE In Bauers so I can only imaging what this boot will feel like when I try the correct fit.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:28 PM, TakeOffEh said:

Couple of options here:

I believe the old Bauer 7000 boot from the early 2000s is still available through the Bauer custom skate program.

The Graf 750 was a direct competitor to the Bauer 7000 and should still available as a custom order.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:40 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Do you know what those non Reactor Bauer’s are?

I don`t but my OLD OLD goalie coach had them about 13 years ago. 

I asked my Bauer Rep who has been with the company for a very long time. Cannot remember what the name was but does remember seeing the skate many moons ago.

Archived