Need a New Chest

After beating on my Hyperlite chest for 2 years now it has officially run it's course. The arms have gotten way too soft even with the padding I've added to them. Same goes for the shoudler floaters.

I'm hoping to order a new chest by the end of April but I don't have personal experience with any of the options I'm leaning towards. Right now I'm looking at either a beefed up Mach with beefed up pro series arms, a Passau Pro Pack, or a V10 with all the beef up options, double carbon, and whatever else there is. Hoping to get 3-4 seasons out of a chest as I get back into juniors next year and college later on. I tuck my chest and I'm only about 6'0" 145lbs so I'm hoping to avoid anything too bulky or heavy. Also want something that really kills rebounds off the chest.

(Bauer Supreme MACH Goalie Chest & Arm Protector - Senior)plastron-pro-pack-1024x853-1-600x500.jpg(Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Carbon Goalie Chest Protector - Senior)

Any help is appreciated :) 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

I've only had a used Passau Pro pack, and it was a tank facing ex-Jr shots. I only felt one stinger ever because of a shot that deflected somehow upwards between the shoulder cap.

Having said that, I'm 6'0" 180lbs and it was waaaay bulky and I had trouble moving in it. I'm not the strongest guy so if you're an athlete you may have better luck. 

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

After beating on my Hyperlite chest for 2 years now it has officially run it's course. The arms have gotten way too soft even with the padding I've added to them. Same goes for the shoudler floaters.

I'm hoping to order a new chest by the end of April but I don't have personal experience with any of the options I'm leaning towards. Right now I'm looking at either a beefed up Mach with beefed up pro series arms, a Passau Pro Pack, or a V10 with all the beef up options, double carbon, and whatever else there is. Hoping to get 3-4 seasons out of a chest as I get back into juniors next year and college later on. I tuck my chest and I'm only about 6'0" 145lbs so I'm hoping to avoid anything too bulky or heavy. Also want something that really kills rebounds off the chest.

Any help is appreciated :) 

I had a Vapor with beefed up Mach arms in a camp environment last summer and was catching bruises through the arms from BCHL guys (let alone major Junior and pro) - however it was insanely mobile and was pretty good at deadening shots to the chest. Despite really wanting to make it work I fell back to my CCM AB18Pro. 
if I can’t find another one to replace it with I may go with a pro beef V5 or the new Brian’s chest 

@ZeroGravitas has a Passau and either likes it a lot or is too stubborn to admit he’s wrong 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I had a Vapor with beefed up Mach arms in a camp environment last summer and was catching bruises through the arms from BCHL guys (let alone major Junior and pro) - however it was insanely mobile and was pretty good at deadening shots to the chest. Despite really wanting to make it work I fell back to my CCM AB18Pro. 
if I can’t find another one to replace it with I may go with a pro beef V5 or the new Brian’s chest 

@ZeroGravitas has a Passau and either likes it a lot or is too stubborn to admit he’s wrong 

I would love to get another AB18 pro but the problem is I’d need a Fit 1 with -1” arms

1 hour ago, Novasteel31 said:

I was on the search for one as well this year and i ended up going with a kenesky with beefed up arms was the only thing that felt nice to me. I initially thought about the beefed up Mach that the goalie crease sells but I just couldn't get a good feel for the chest

Completely forgot about kenesky! How long did it take to get yours and were there any upcharges?

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

i never understand how people get bruise with some chesty. I have a hyperlite with beefed ultrasonic chest i play sometime with my friend who as play junior AAA or LHJMQ and i never felt anything. My friend play senior aaa caliber with his retail ultrasonic chest and for him it's the best chest he never have 

probably no one react the same when the puck hit you 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Completely forgot about kenesky! How long did it take to get yours and were there any upcharges?

Don’t do it 

I think I’m on 8 weeks for simple straps and they’ve ghosted me 

also waited something like 9+ months for a chest when I gave them the original to base it off of. 

also this 

FEB26110-F973-43A0-8C92-CC39CCB780B5.thumb.jpeg.4de43f6832a4c37d0e5078077e595fdf.jpeg

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Yzueblin said:

i never understand how people get bruise with some chesty. I have a hyperlite with beefed ultrasonic chest i play sometime with my friend who as play junior AAA or LHJMQ and i never felt anything. My friend play senior aaa caliber with his retail ultrasonic chest and for him it's the best chest he never have 

probably no one react the same when the puck hit you 

Practice environment or games? 

I catch all my bruises in practice environments where guys are just ripping shots off line rush

During games shots don’t come as hard as they don’t have as much time to set up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

They didn't charge me anything outside of the base price but i have not recieved it yet order was placed start of Feb expecting it for start of next season 

52 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Practice environment or games? 

I catch all my bruises in practice environments where guys are just ripping shots off line rush

During games shots don’t come as hard as they don’t have as much time to set up 

At 38 year and my friend around 30 we don’t have much practice time 

you maybe right on this point ! Practice time guys have ton of time to prepare his strongest shot 

I know this might not be exactly what you're looking for, as I tend to wear "antiquated" equipment, but I have had good experiences using a brown 2400 in collegiate hockey (ACHA Div 1 and CHF hockey) for some years. As you know, the increased number of practices, caliber, and frequency of the shots experienced have a tendency to destroy equipment in short order. I went with it after I got sick of paying several hundreds of dollars on a c/a only to have it last 6 months to a year before I started needing to have to reinforce it with stuff because the padding had broken down so much in a short amount of time that every other shot was rather bothersome. 

I think it is just a matter of whether you want it to last longer, and deal with the extra weight, or have the latest and greatest most high-performance thing but requires frequent replacement with heavy use. Much like a set of high-performance racing slicks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Don’t do it 

also waited something like 9+ months for a chest when I gave them the original to base it off of. 

also this 

FEB26110-F973-43A0-8C92-CC39CCB780B5.thumb.jpeg.4de43f6832a4c37d0e5078077e595fdf.jpeg

Still using your Kenesky, but I added a lot more padding to biceps and shoulders. Get a few bad ones every once in a while. Agree that going Kenesky is not a good idea. 

I've had an excellent experience with my custom Bauer chest - hyperlite body with pro series arms, beefed up shoulder floaters/biceps/forearms. Never gotten a bruise through it, very comfortable, and comes with an elastic strap to attach it to the back of my pants to hold everything together (I wear it untucked). I tried a Passau chest and it was very comfortable, and had good chest protection, but the arms were lacking in protection (to me); I got several stingers to the bicep and forearm areas in the course of a single warm up, and the back of the arm strapping was not as well done as the Bauer, in my opinion.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:45 PM, Chenner29 said:

Don’t do it 

also this 

Are these recent wait times? 

If so I'm a bit surprised considering they don't seem to be a hot commodity in the nhl anymore. 

3 hours ago, Brewskee69 said:

Are these recent wait times? 

If so I'm a bit surprised considering they don't seem to be a hot commodity in the nhl anymore. 

Finalized an order for two sets of straps 2/13/23
Got pictures 2/24/23, promised it would ship following Monday 2/27
Followed up 3/6, no response
Followed up 3/14, no response

RE: the C/A.  I've kind of kept my mouth shut about it the last 4 years as I wasn't sure if I was being whiny or not.
Gave them an original Premier 1 to copy 2/13/18
Received mine 5/7/2019
Pros were getting theirs within months, understandable
What I think is kind of fucked up is that retail guys were getting theirs before I did
Reasoning I got is that "theirs are stock, yours is custom"
Full disclosure, I did not pay full price on mine

Nice guys, wish them the best, but absolutely done with them.

Ordered the straps from Sara at PAW
Finalized order 3/16
Got pictures 3/24, shipped 3/27 and received 4/1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1