CCM Axis XF Pro Mask

1 hour ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

I have the GFL Pro and love how it looks.  This thing looks like a Pro knock-off.  The back plate is ugly, the cage attachment points look cheap, and the shell itself doesn't seem right.

Ever since CCM and Lefevre parted ways, the CCM stuff has just missed the mark in my opinion.

IIRC Lefevre owns the rights to that shell shape. CCM had to make a new one that was unique from their previous designs. CCM may have missed the mark since Lefevre left but they're certainly getting closer with each try. Lefevre on the other hand is simply stationary. Zero innovation and very minimal changes (sorry True fans a thin composite thigh rise isn't something new to the industry).

Huge props to CCM for going out of their way to innovate and try and push other brands to do so as well. As TGN has said before the glove is the only piece of equipment remaining that hasn't had a complete design overhaul

• Like 1

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

IIRC Lefevre owns the rights to that shell shape. CCM had to make a new one that was unique from their previous designs. CCM may have missed the mark since Lefevre left but they're certainly getting closer with each try. Lefevre on the other hand is simply stationary. Zero innovation and very minimal changes (sorry True fans a thin composite thigh rise isn't something new to the industry).

Huge props to CCM for going out of their way to innovate and try and push other brands to do so as well. As TGN has said before the glove is the only piece of equipment remaining that hasn't had a complete design overhaul

I did very much have this opinion of True / Lefevre post CCM split. I tried 20.1 for a couple skates, borrowed a set from @Chenner29 and was quite disappointed.

With that said, True is not really being first to market with any gear innovation either... but Px was one of the most surprising sets of pads that I have tried. It doesn't have the tech of some of the other gear, but there's also almost nothing to complain about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

With that said, True is not really being first to market with any gear innovation either... but Px was one of the most surprising sets of pads that I have tried. It doesn't have the tech of some of the other gear, but there's also almost nothing to complain about.

I've only heard good things about Catalyst PX3 but I'm still hesitant mainly because of the pricing. With the exception of an EF5 set I've been in Warrior and Bauer for pretty much as long as I've played. It's also just plain hard to pull together the funds for a True set vs CCM, Bauer, or Warrior.

Though if I make a NAHL team next year then I'll have plenty of extra funds to throw at a set. 

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I did very much have this opinion of True / Lefevre post CCM split. I tried 20.1 for a couple skates, borrowed a set from @Chenner29 and was quite disappointed.

Mostly because FastGlide is dogshit

Every pad I've had since them has gotten progressively better.  I really enjoyed 20.2 and love my PX3.  I don't know how much "cool stuff" I would want on my gear anymore.

1 minute ago, Chenner29 said:

Every pad I've had since them has gotten progressively better.  I really enjoyed 20.2 and love my PX3.  I don't know how much "cool stuff" I would want on my gear anymore.

That's because you're an old head now. 

CCM/True/Lefevre pads have always seemed half decent, but they don't offer anything unique enough to sway my interest. 

Leg pads are always something I've found to be easy enough to transition to between brands. They all work. Where my own decision comes down to is the glove offerings and the Lefevre offering has just never been right. Probably the only design I truly don't like, both blocker and catcher. 

CCM is trying, I'll give them that, though they still haven't hit that stride yet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's because you're an old head now. 

CCM/True/Lefevre pads have always seemed half decent, but they don't offer anything unique enough to sway my interest. 

Leg pads are always something I've found to be easy enough to transition to between brands. They all work. Where my own decision comes down to is the glove offerings and the Lefevre offering has just never been right. Probably the only design I truly don't like, both blocker and catcher. 

CCM is trying, I'll give them that, though they still haven't hit that stride yet. 

If I get an XF set I'll let you know how it goes. I caught better with a borrowed axis 2 591 than the 590 I had for awhile and I definitely caught better with it than this hyperlite 2 glove. Still no where close to warrior. 

9 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If I get an XF set I'll let you know how it goes. I caught better with a borrowed axis 2 591 than the 590 I had for awhile and I definitely caught better with it than this hyperlite 2 glove. Still no where close to warrior. 

Sure, probably won't make a difference to my gear preference goes. 591/581 gloves have felt as rough as the classic designs and would need a pretty serious change for it to really spike my interest. 

G6 glove isn't bad. Catches super easy, but I prefer the feel of the G5 and GT2 over it. Been thinking of getting a 60 liner to match what I had in my G5. 

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Rebounds skyrocketing off Bauer pads break up plays. For me, it's the biggest benefit of new tech on gear and I have yet to see anyone close to Bauer.

• Like 2

I’ll be that guy for the thread. I think aesthetically, it’s ugly. Reminds me of the Rbk 9K era of masks with the chin lip and the lack of top and side straps. I understand why it’s a good idea to not have visible straps that can pop off on a shot, but still it’s part of our heritage. 

IMG_0578.jpeg

6 minutes ago, RedX said:

I’ll be that guy for the thread. I think aesthetically, it’s ugly. Reminds me of the Rbk 9K era of masks with the chin lip and the lack of top and side straps. I understand why it’s a good idea to not have visible straps that can pop off on a shot, but still it’s part of our heritage. 

I agree with you, the shell is just awkward looking.  

13 minutes ago, RedX said:

IMG_0578.jpeg

It bothered me a lot at first but it's beginning to grow on me. Still looks no where near as good as a Pros-choice helmet

The mask has the labeling on it that says it has D30 in it, but I'm not seeing any of that trademark orange (and/or yellow) foam anywhere in the photos.

I think the 3D printed nest tech stuff is interesting, it's super comfortable on the Tacks helmets for sure. Was reading a guy on Instagram talking about how it's not designed for the kind of impacts a mask typically deals with and was instead designed for torsional impact, which I'd love to read more about or for any test information to come to light from. The goalie world could really benefit from some damn citations, but everyone seems to hush-hush about anything and everything.

I'll also agree that this is a pretty damn ugly mask. Maybe that shouldn't matter as much if it's a great unit, but I'm having a hard time getting over it.

Edited by keeperton

51 minutes ago, keeperton said:

The mask has the labeling on it that says it has D30 in it, but I'm not seeing any of that trademark orange (and/or yellow) foam anywhere in the photos.

I think the 3D printed nest tech stuff is interesting, it's super comfortable on the Tacks helmets for sure. Was reading a guy on Instagram talking about how it's not designed for the kind of impacts a mask typically deals with and was instead designed for torsional impact, which I'd love to read more about or for any test information to come to light from. The goalie world could really benefit from some damn citations, but everyone seems to hush-hush about anything and everything.

I'll also agree that this is a pretty damn ugly mask. Maybe that shouldn't matter as much if it's a great unit, but I'm having a hard time getting over it.

Believe D3O is just in the chin cup. D3O used to be used as a layer in the foams, now the NestTech is taking center stage

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Believe D3O is just in the chin cup. D3O used to be used as a layer in the foams, now the NestTech is taking center stage

That is odd. Even the Tacks helmets have a D30 interface between the shell and the NestTech, would have thought they'd keep that design philosophy across items.

Edit: well, this study isn't flattering. Not sure if it speaks more to the rest of the helmet, their tests, or the something else.

Edited by keeperton

3 hours ago, keeperton said:

That is odd. Even the Tacks helmets have a D30 interface between the shell and the NestTech, would have thought they'd keep that design philosophy across items.

Edit: well, this study isn't flattering. Not sure if it speaks more to the rest of the helmet, their tests, or the something else.

That study was based on a retail tacks x. The primary purpose of the retail model was to be much cooler and lighter than other ccm helmets (not protection). The custom version of the tacks x uses a higher density nesttech as well as progressive density to make it act almost like XRD. The XF goalie helmet will use the better version of nesttech found in the custom player helmet. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tried it on at my LHS today.  It feels amazing - had a Bauer 960 on right before it and while that felt good too, the Nest-Tech was immediately noticeable.  Mask felt downright airy. As a goalie who gets super hot every skate, it’s intriguing.  Too bad I don’t need a new mask.  Took a blast from the heaviest shot in our league last week right to the forehead, but my RF1 took it with little issue.  Can’t say there wasn’t a little part of me that was hoping for a crack. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sescaro said:

Tried it on at my LHS today.  It feels amazing - had a Bauer 960 on right before it and while that felt good too, the Nest-Tech was immediately noticeable.  Mask felt downright airy. As a goalie who gets super hot every skate, it’s intriguing.  Too bad I don’t need a new mask.  Took a blast from the heaviest shot in our league last week right to the forehead, but my RF1 took it with little issue.  Can’t say there wasn’t a little part of me that was hoping for a crack. 

How's it fit compared to F1? I'm yet to find a mask that fits me around the jaw and cheeks better than F1